Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Well, I see people talking about sprocket-removal and installation, but nobody talks about where to get Molybdenum Disulfide grease recommended in the service manual (for the new sprocket).

Anyone use this or know where to get it, and under which brand name (if any)? I've tried Home Depot, AutoZone and Cycle Gear and nobody has it!

Thanks!

P.S. My bike is sitting in the garage, ready to replace the sprocket. Need this grease today if possible. I am a-Googlin' too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi everyone,

Well, I see people talking about sprocket-removal and installation, but nobody talks about where to get Molybdenum Sulfide grease recommended in the service manual (for the new sprocket).

Anyone use this or know where to get it, and under which brand name (if any)? I've tried Home Depot, AutoZone and Cycle Gear and nobody has it!

Thanks!

P.S. My bike is sitting in the garage, ready to replace the sprocket. Need this grease today if possible.
Which autozone did you try? I know for sure they have it, I picked a can up a few years ago...just ask them at the counter for it...It comes in a silver can if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Where are you putting that? Bel-Ray water proof grease will serve any purpose within the wheel, from bearings to axles.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Old3,

The shop manual calls for Moly grease on the sprocket (replacing 14t stock with 15t). I saw that Cycle Gear had Bel-Ray waterproof grease too (which I will need for the AllBalls head bearings later on).

From what I can see, BelRay waterproof grease is not the same as Molybdenum Disulfide or 'Moly' grease, though I am sure it would work. I'd rather stick to what the manual calls-for on this one.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Hi Old3,

The shop manual calls for Moly grease on the sprocket (replacing 14t stock with 15t). I saw that Cycle Gear had Bel-Ray waterproof grease too (which I will need for the AllBalls head bearings later on).

From what I can see, BelRay waterproof grease is not the same as Molybdenum Disulfide or 'Moly' grease, though I am sure it would work. I'd rather stick to what the manual calls-for on this one.

To put on the splines? Dry is fine, any water proof grease or anti-sieze very lightly applied would be OK too. I think you are over complicating this job, LOL. Worst CS I've ever seen required a few light taps and WD-40 to remove, and that bike was rusted to crap.

Any grease or whatever ***if you choose to use anything*** will hold grit to the areas it is exposed. FWIW, guys use lock-tite on these sprockets on bikes that chew the splines, a few big bore KTM sumotos have done this.

I recommend no lube at all. No reason for it except to ease replacement, which on this bike isn't an really issue. If I used anything it would be WP grease or anti-seize, and just a trace at that. Wipe off any excess for sure.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Do I need moly grease? what's the difference?

I'm planning on using Motul Tech 300 Grease because I already have one and has quite high temperature resistance(-30 to 150 degree celsius). Would I break anything if I use this grease?

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
sorry for bringing this thread up, but I was wondering if anyone know if it's okay to use Motul 300 Tech Grease for front sprocket?

It's not a moly grease, but it's a lithium grease. I don't know the difference and I don't know if it would work for front sprocket.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for bringing this thread up, but I was wondering if anyone know if it's okay to use Motul 300 Tech Grease for front sprocket?

It's not a moly grease, but it's a lithium grease. I don't know the difference and I don't know if it would work for front sprocket.

I would not take chances here. Definitely get the right grease. I was able to find some at Autozone, or you could probably get a tub of it from Amazon or somewhere.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yea you want a nice thick grease, not bearing grease as its too thin. Moly grease is ideal as its good for areas that are under heavy load where metel on metal contact must be eliminated whilst at the same time being thick enough to not fling everywhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts