Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a bike from a friend, I'm thinking about purchasing. They say everything is fine and in good shape, but after I'm done riding it, it makes a sound like cars do when the radiator is hot. Is that normal for this bike?

·
Registered
482 Posts
When the engine heats up, the cooling fan turns on, exactly as in a car, and it makes a similar fan noise. If the cooling system is fine, it should stop after a couple of minutes, unless you're in extremely hot weather.

·
Registered
435 Posts
With the engine cold, remove the radiator cap to check the level. The radiator should be full up to the top of the neck.

Then check the overflow bottle. That should be about in the middle between low and high.

Also check the oil level for good measure. With the engine warm and off, wait 3 minutes, level the cycle, and make sure the oil level is between the marks on the sightglass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the engine heats up, the cooling fan turns on, exactly as in a car, and it makes a similar fan noise. If the cooling system is fine, it should stop after a couple of minutes, unless you're in extremely hot weather.
So I don't know if Miami counts as extremely hot weather, but basically if I don't see a light and the coolant level is fine don't worry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the engine cold, remove the radiator cap to check the level. The radiator should be full up to the top of the neck.

Then check the overflow bottle. That should be about in the middle between low and high.

Also check the oil level for good measure. With the engine warm and off, wait 3 minutes, level the cycle, and make sure the oil level is between the marks on the sightglass.
Ok. Thanks appreciate the response.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My rad fan only comes on in summer time Phoenix when I am in the city stopping and going. If you're moving, it'll probably stay off, but nothing to worry about if the fan is running and theres no overtemp light.

Last season, my radiator and cooling system was super gunked up, and I got a temp light in the canyons. I have since cleaned all of that, inside and out, and its been perfect since. These bikes don't make a lot of heat like 4 cyl bikes do, and they cool down pretty quick too.

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rad fan only comes on in summer time Phoenix when I am in the city stopping and going. If you're moving, it'll probably stay off, but nothing to worry about if the fan is running and theres no overtemp light.

Last season, my radiator and cooling system was super gunked up, and I got a temp light in the canyons. I have since cleaned all of that, inside and out, and its been perfect since. These bikes don't make a lot of heat like 4 cyl bikes do, and they cool down pretty quick too.

-Mike
Ok cool. Thank you. What's the best way to stand a bike up if you are by yourself to check the oil?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok cool. Thank you. What's the best way to stand a bike up if you are by yourself to check the oil?
I put left hand on the seat and right hand on the right bar...balance bike so it stands upright with almost no input..squat down to look at sight glass while still holding on...

·
Registered
482 Posts
So I don't know if Miami counts as extremely hot weather, but basically if I don't see a light and the coolant level is fine don't worry?
Miami is just fine. The fan won't turn on while cruising, but it'll usually turn on on red lights and some times in slow traffic.

If you don't see the light, then you're fine, as long as the light works, :) Every time you turn the key, all cluster lights turn on for a second. Check it works, as well as the others.
If the temp light ever turns on while riding, turn the engine off right away, let it cool down, and check the coolant level. If the coolant level is good, you have a faulty fan or a more serious problem in the engine. Whatever it is, don't ride the bike if it overheats and the light turns on.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Assuming you don't have a rear stand...
You can also lean the bike against a wall on its left side keeping it as vertical as possible. Then check the oil level. Put a rug if you don't want to scratch the handle bar end.

But try to get a rear stand. Not too expensive and useful for basic maintenance and cleaning.
I used this one for years and it works fine:
Trackside Rear Paddock Stand - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
144 Posts
Assuming you don't have a rear stand...
Careful though. The rear stand alone will alter the oil level reading a bit. Some stands lift the rear way more than others, so results may vary. Use both front and rear stands together, or I just prefer to hold it steady like mentioned. But I guess the precision here isn't really an issue. As long as you see a good amount of oil in the window when the bike is relatively level, you're good. A tiny bit of extra oil never hurts too, but emphasis on tiny bit.

-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts