Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 300 with about 1900 miles on it and I’m wondering what it’s supposed to sound like from 8k up? It sounds fine at any rpm below 8k but once it hits that it sounds like it’s going to explode. Almost like it’s being pinned but it isn’t. Thought something might be vibrating and making it sound like that but I can’t think of anything.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check for loose bolts/nuts around the exhaust header and muffler. Rattling there would be very loud. And if its loud when you rev it to 8k without rolling, then you know its an engine related sound.

+1 on upload a clip!

-Mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
Search on youtube videos of Ninja 300 rides and you'll be able to hear how it sounds at 8k and above and compare with yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! I just so happen to sell the 300 a few hours after posting this. Got home and got a call from the Triumph dealership letting me know my trident 660 would be ready in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They took it for a spin and then had their “motorcycle guy” take it out and neither of them noticed anything they were concerned about.

·
Registered
511 Posts
They took it for a spin and then had their “motorcycle guy” take it out and neither of them noticed anything they were concerned about.
So maybe the vibration at 8k was just your imagination and the bike was revving up just fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine makes more overall noise with semi or full synthetic oil. My theory is that this engine block was designed a looong time ago when the 250 came out, and back then, conventional was the standard. So my thinking is that this motor, being almost identical to the 250 motor, runs best/most quiet on conventional. It runs okay on semi or full synth, but it is definitely much louder. More clicking, valve train noise, more shifting/trans noise.

I think at the end of the day, these motors are not the most quiet, just how they are. I am running semi synth now after a lot of maintenance, and it is noticeably louder/clickier. I may go back to conventional, my internals looked awesome after all my miles, but I am trying to see if I can get more life out of it in high miles....

-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts