Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one night I got on my ninja 300 and hit about 117. After I let off the throttle the bike stayed in high RPMs for a minute or two, then slowly whined down. As this was happening the clutch cable came out so its stuck in 5th gear and then proceeded to start smoking from the engine, at first thing white smoke and after it finally killed itself on the side of the road a thick cloud of white smoke rolled out. Not sure what the issue is, I havent had a chance to look into it yet. Anyone know what it might be? And would it be cheaper and easier to swap the motor, or fix the issue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's pointless to talk about swapping the motor until you know what the issue is, or isn't.

White smoke. From where? What did it smell like? An engine won't let out the smoke just to let you know there's something wrong. By that I mean it's not a problem, it's a symptom. It could be something as trivial as a radiator hose coming lose. It could be something as bad as a fire. You'll have to find out what the cause was and go from there. If all this sounds like chinese, you should be consulting a mechanic and not a forum. If you haven't had a chance to look into it, don't expect us to tell you the solution and save you that hassle.

Look into it, find out what's out of place, broken or weird, tell us your theories and then maybe we can give a hand if you're nice ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
How much oil, and how much coolant do you see in the bike now. Honestly you should have checked and reported these things in the first post.

·
Registered
290 Posts
117 mph??Clutch cable came out??May not even be a real post.

·
Registered
140 Posts
...Not sure what the issue is...

Neither any of us. With all you've told us, I recommend dumping the bike on Craigslist. If the magical smoke came out, there's no way to put it back in.

- Arved

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can sympathise with OP (not sure why he/she's getting such a hard time on this forum):

Last week, when we had that Northeast USA snowstorm I took my Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition (*) out for a ride.
Was riding through Scranton downtown at about 102mph when suddenly the front AND back wheels came off. Because I was going at a good rate of speed, and probably had a tail wind and the roads were snow covered, I continued to ride for 30 minutes or so, when the bike finally came to a stop. I rode back to find the wheels and now they won't fit back on the bike for some reason.
Tell me what I need to do to get the wheels back on.

Note *: And before anyone criticizes me for taking the bike out during a snow storm: err, duh! It's a Winter Test Edition; I was testing it out in winter, which is what this bike was designed for!

·
Registered
914 Posts
There is a DIY option to refill the smoke tank. :grin2:
Kinda off topic...but that brings me one hell of a memory! I once rigged a 2 stroke 70cc bike with the oil tank full of smoke liquid and a windshield wiper pump to inject the fluid through a nipple in the exhaust. When I hit a button on the controls, the bike would leave a smoke trail. That was one awesome project, that was for sure!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Kinda off topic...but that brings me one hell of a memory! I once rigged a 2 stroke 70cc bike with the oil tank full of smoke liquid and a windshield wiper pump to inject the fluid through a nipple in the exhaust. When I hit a button on the controls, the bike would leave a smoke trail. That was one awesome project, that was for sure!
I bet I could get my hands on a smoke oil system like you see at airshows... Definitely less cost-effective though.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I bet I could get my hands on a smoke oil system like you see at airshows... Definitely less cost-effective though.
Actually, doing that project I found out that many planes use pyrotechnics and not liquids. Curiously enough, you can't really make a liquid smoke in a color that isn't mainly "white" unless the pigmentation levels are absurd (I wanted colored smoke coming out of the bike, hehe. Turned out to not be possible.). I also found out that besides oil type fluids (ATF, diesel mixes and other stuff), cement additives (I don't recall which) are also used. It was a real interesting project from beginning to end.

Moral of the story is sometimes you can put the smoke back in, and even bring it out on command :laugh2:

Anyway, I'm not hating on the OP. These things can be frustrating. Sometimes it's hard to express oneself as well as one would like. It's just that it's in his own best interest to give the right amount of information and the important details so we can be as helpful as possible. If not, odds are it's the typical person who will drop an ambiguous post and never log in again to check if anyone answered, wasting everyone's time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
odds are it's the typical person who will drop an ambiguous post and never log in again to check if anyone answered, wasting everyone's time.
Never understood the purpose behind doing that and the OP's post was vague on all aspects of the story. I prefer random posts that are just "over the top" ridiculous. Those are fun to read. This one was just like "What?" :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts