Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luckily I remembered my training from the MSF and swerved out of the way just in time. The street was pretty narrow, which is why I couldn't ride to the far left, and cars park all up and down them too. Being in a college town, people just seem to be careless. It definitely scared me and i'm just glad I didn't take their door off and go down with it.

Anyone else have any similar experiences like this? I would love to hear what happened and how you avoided it, or if you didn't avoid it what is something to take away from that experience to share with others?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
slow down & move further away from the cars, fit an air horn, see my signature below & blast the morons, they might learn to look in the mirrors before they open the door next time, one can only hope

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah this seems to happen to me very often.. let it be ina acar or a bike... people can be just ignorant sometimes. check yur damn mirror to see if any cars are coming before opening your door...seriously....

Glad you didnt get hurt man! MSF course FTW!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have the most problems in shopping car parks mainly ahole 4 wheel drivers who pass parking spots to just determine they want it and reverse on me without looking

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You do realize in lots of 4wd trucks, you can't see a bike behind you. I have a 4wd tundra, 3" lift, and 34" tires. I can't even see a car behind me hardly, much less a bike. Just try to stay back from them, it is pretty impossible for them to see you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is where an after market exhaust come ins handy you can pull in the clutch and WOT to scare the bejesus out of the idiot. Air horn works too.

In some places that cager would have gotten a double A copper top to the forehead.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You do realize in lots of 4wd trucks, you can't see a bike behind you. I have a 4wd tundra, 3" lift, and 34" tires. I can't even see a car behind me hardly, much less a bike. Just try to stay back from them, it is pretty impossible for them to see you.

As far as HIGHT is concerned, a motorcycle is easier to see than most cars are due to the rider on the bike being much taller than a car. For example, behind a lifted pickup truck much like your own. The roof of my car doesn't even break the top plane of the tail gate. On my bike behind the same truck, my chin is just barely above the tail gate leaving my helmet visible.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I've been a "door prize" on my bicycle before. Sent me right into the back of a pickup. Happened a week after I had finished physio for my motorcycle accident -_-

·
Registered
952 Posts
This happened to me last week. I was approaching on the right of a car between the car and the curb to make a right turn. A chick opened the door, screamed and closed it quick when she noticed me coming. After I passed she got out and closed the trunk of the car in front of her. I reversed and asked her "what the fuck is wrong with you?" She said shut up and I called her a "fucking asshole". This pissed me off something fierce.
What I learned.
1. Don't let these actions get myself all riled up.
2. Beep my horn while approaching on the right to turn right or whenever I think I need to.
3. Watch doors and people inside cars very carefully.

Unfortunately I don't remember anything from the msf class on how to handle door suprises.
Can someone please refresh my memory?
Thanks.

Reactions: JoeT347

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do y'all attach an air horn? Is it like on the side of your riding pants or on the tank of the bike? I just don't see a good place to put it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Where do y'all attach an air horn? Is it like on the side of your riding pants or on the tank of the bike? I just don't see a good place to put it anywhere.
have a look in my signature theres a link to mounting the stebel airhon

mine is mounted under the right side fairing off the top front engine mount

this is probably the best place for it as it is a very strong mounting point, its behind the radiator/fairing so it cant be seen, still loud enough to make cage drivers crap their pants and look for the truck thats about to drive over them, and there is *JUST* enough room to fit it in there

·
Registered
952 Posts
Empty post sorry

·
Registered
118 Posts

Yes I realise that their is a height difference considering as I have driven trucks vans & 4x4, but in the same token I ride a car and half behind and frankly people tend to think when u r in a carpark that road rules no longer apply

Sent from my MT15a using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
195 Posts
Some soccer mom did this to me toady, I wasn't that close but I swerved anyways. Definitely made eye contact with her and I could see her thinking "whoops."

·
Registered
344 Posts
My problem is leaving work through George Washington campus area in D.C. Those kids (now I sound old) just jay walk all over the place and had one step out in front of me when I had the green light. Locked the rear wheel a bit while double braking and made the girl jump! Gave her a little full Leo Vince exhaust tune as I pulled away. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts