Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, just joined the forum today as I just picked up a 2014 ninja 300 yesterday! Alas it has started to leak oil I believe. Whenever I ride it I can smell burning oil and the left side behind the shift shaft is covered in gunk. I’m pretty new to bikes (second year riding) so I still don’t know what every part in there is called. But here’s some pictures I got, anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
194 Posts
Without pictures, I'm guessing the smell is coming from the oil breather tube. Make sure it's connected to the air box, and check your oil level.

Reactions: jkv45 and Topaz

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It may be dripping from the stator cover (left cover of the engine) onto the exhaust header pipe. Check the joint of the stator cover and the pipe to see if there are signs of oil.
Take out the fairings and clean all the gunk. If it's dirty, you can't tell where the oil is coming from.

As Ghost said, check the oil level very often until you find problem.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just to be perfectly clear - check your oil level - a lot.

The little Ninjas can use some oil, pumping it into the airbox (as mentioned). If you don't keep track of the level - you'll blow it up.

Probably the single most common cause of major engine failure.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Just to be perfectly clear - check your oil level - a lot.

The little Ninjas can use some oil, pumping it into the airbox (as mentioned). If you don't keep track of the level - you'll blow it up.

Probably the single most common cause of major engine failure.
Agreed, also revving the nuts off it 🧨💣💥🤯🤬

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! Last night I ended up pulling that little drain plug that’s on the side of the air filter box off and a bunch of oil came out of it. The previous owner dropped it and I’m wondering if this could’ve been the issue. Also the oil filter was pretty oiled, are these ones meant to be oiled after being cleaned?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for the info! Last night I ended up pulling that little drain plug that’s on the side of the air filter box off and a bunch of oil came out of it. The previous owner dropped it and I’m wondering if this could’ve been the issue. Also the oil filter was pretty oiled, are these ones meant to be oiled after being cleaned?
If it's a foam or gauze filter - yes.

Clean it well, let it dry, and oil it sparingly.

Air filter oil isn't the same as other oil. It is made to be tacky. Best type is in an spray can. It takes very little to accomplish what you need, and using too much will cause running problems by choking-off the air flow. Normally, one light spray coat is enough.

I've put 2 medium coats on a filter before and needed to clean and re-oil it, as it immediately made the engine run poorly (rich).

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Or this is the perfect excuse to upgrade to a K&N air filter 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts