Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer, I started having the a wobble in the front end on decel from 70 kph. Go ahead, start the comments that I must have the pesky garbage steering head bearings and they need to be replaced with the All Balls. I had so many people on this forum try to drill that into my head.. but I figured everyone can be a mechanic over the keyboards, so I'll try my own process of elimination. My first step was replacing those god awful stock tires with a set of Pirelli Diablo II.. Turns out, that was the problem. It could have been a mix of shitty tires, and ever so slightly out of balance. That being said, no more wobble on decel and it feels like a completely different bike. So kiddies, lesson learned, don't follow everything people on this site tell you. :eek:k:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ha. One time I had a shimmy on high speed deceleration. Turns out I had a really big rock in one of my front tires. Sometimes it's the simplest things

·
Registered
411 Posts
Last summer, I started having the a wobble in the front end on decel from 70 kph. Go ahead, start the comments that I must have the pesky garbage steering head bearings and they need to be replaced with the All Balls. I had so many people on this forum try to drill that into my head.. but I figured everyone can be a mechanic over the keyboards, so I'll try my own process of elimination. My first step was replacing those god awful stock tires with a set of Pirelli Diablo II.. Turns out, that was the problem. It could have been a mix of shitty tires, and ever so slightly out of balance. That being said, no more wobble on decel and it feels like a completely different bike. So kiddies, lesson learned, don't follow everything people on this site tell you. :eek:k:

Your situation clearly had a different outcome from almost all others that have had this issue and posted about it. However, to say that "lesson learned, don't follow everything people on this site tell you" is to do a disservice to all of those new riders here looking for information and relying on the knowledge of the users here. I myself rely on this knowledge. The fact that one or two individuals (yourself for example) were able to resolve the wobble issue differently is something to be happy about, howevere not something that I think you should be celebrating. The steering stem head bearings solution isn't something some people pulled out of thin air. It is based on actual mechanical knowledge of how bikes work and how certain parts wear out and the outcome of that wear and tear. My original head bearings were esentially destroyed when I had the shop show them to me after replacing with the All Balls kit. I am no mechanic by any means but I can tell you that what I saw was clearly an unsafe situation and the tech at the shop even said, "this happened because these original bearings aren't the best quality". (I'm paraphrasing and omitting profanities) Just my $.02

Happy to hear your outcome was a good one. Best of luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Your situation clearly had a different outcome from almost all others that have had this issue and posted about it. However, to say that "lesson learned, don't follow everything people on this site tell you" is to do a disservice to all of those new riders here looking for information and relying on the knowledge of the users here. I myself rely on this knowledge. The fact that one or two individuals (yourself for example) were able to resolve the wobble issue differently is something to be happy about, howevere not something that I think you should be celebrating. The steering stem head bearings solution isn't something some people pulled out of thin air. It is based on actual mechanical knowledge of how bikes work and how certain parts wear out and the outcome of that wear and tear. My original head bearings were esentially destroyed when I had the shop show them to me after replacing with the All Balls kit. I am no mechanic by any means but I can tell you that what I saw was clearly an unsafe situation and the tech at the shop even said, "this happened because these original bearings aren't the best quality". (I'm paraphrasing and omitting profanities) Just my $.02

Some information on here isnt the best. I personally love the info this site gives but i use it as reference and not the "be all, end all" of solutions. This site is great for reference, gives good perspectives, and provides a lot of owner's experience and knowledge but op has a point.

One of things this site likes to enforce is DRII. Thats a great tire and i have it on my 300 and dragster but i think there are other suitable tires for different types of riding, riding style, road conditions, etc.

And then the head bearing info. That $25 bearing is not that great imo, i rather use the oem but we always see people giving new riders the "encouragement" to do that mod.

Don't get me wrong, i'm just pointing out debatable topics. The info and help i got on this site throughout the last 2 years is nothing short of exceptional. And we dont have punks being dicks rampaging through here like the other forums.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Some information on here isnt the best. I personally love the info this site gives but i use it as reference and not the "be all, end all" of solutions. This site is great for reference, gives good perspectives, and provides a lot of owner's experience and knowledge but op has a point.

One of things this site likes to enforce is DRII. Thats a great tire and i have it on my 300 and dragster but i think there are other suitable tires for different types of riding, riding style, road conditions, etc.

And then the head bearing info. That $25 bearing is not that great imo, i rather use the oem but we always see people giving new riders the "encouragement" to do that mod.

Don't get me wrong, i'm just pointing out debatable topics. The info and help i got on this site throughout the last 2 years is nothing short of exceptional. And we dont have punks being dicks rampaging through here like the other forums.

I agree completely aside from the fact that, for me at lest, most of the advice by the more knowledgable members, has been sound advice.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Most of the time I get SICK wobble when I release the steering wheel even after ~30mph. Sometimes, rarely...it won't wobble if i'm cruising at 60mph...I have a stock front with stock bearings..not sure if this is a common issue with others as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm not putting anyone on this site down what so ever. I still appreciate everyone trying to help when I asked don't get me wrong. No where did I tell anyone not to take advice from these forums, I said don't believe EVERYTHING you read on here. For example some person may come across the steering wobble that we all know and hate, take the advice that it was bearings and next thing you know they're out $200-300 (parts & labor) and now gotta cough that amount up again for new tires.

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the time I get SICK wobble when I release the steering wheel even after ~30mph. Sometimes, rarely...it won't wobble if i'm cruising at 60mph...I have a stock front with stock bearings..not sure if this is a common issue with others as well.
First, I'd take your bike to the shop and get that steering wheel taken off right away and have handle bars put back on. :roll2smilie:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kiddies? Your tone is obviously derogatory, and you sound like a petulant child yourself. People who you don't know, and owe you nothing, attempted to assist you, and this is what you post because they weren't correct?

Twat.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Everyone usually jumps on the steering bearing band wagon but its easier to check the tires first. Yours was the easier issue to fix. Good for you

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You also have to take into account that all people on this website have to use are what words you give them and maybe a the average picture taken with a potato. All what anyone on this site can give you are leads that for you to follow. Since you aren't a trained mechanic or trained at least to know to look over and inspect thoroughly and then relay that information in detail to us, we have a very vague and fuzzy picture to work with.

When working on aircraft and we needed to call the depot team stateside for assistance, a single problem part usually had a 33 page report with measurements, NDI reports, testimony and even a photo or stock picture of the part with the damage drawn in for the engineers back at home to work with. Or detailed analysis of the issue that as a digital file could reach upwards of 20 GB. Even then, the issue still involved having to fly one of their engineers up to us to inspect the suspect aircraft first hand.

Text can only get people so far in troubleshooting a mechanical issue especially when the person reporting the issue doesn't know what they're looking for. The person with the issue when using a medium such as this has to be all five senses for those who may help them.

As said earlier, no one should be taking diagnostic information at full face value from a text chat on the internet. They should at most just be suggested beginnings and help you get a start in isolating the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I'm not putting anyone on this site down what so ever. I still appreciate everyone trying to help when I asked don't get me wrong. No where did I tell anyone not to take advice from these forums, I said don't believe EVERYTHING you read on here. For example some person may come across the steering wobble that we all know and hate, take the advice that it was bearings and next thing you know they're out $200-300 (parts & labor) and now gotta cough that amount up again for new tires.

A critical-thinker knows not to believe everything he/she reads *anywhere*. This is why we sometimes debate topics, or break out some science or studies or peer-review from knowledgeable people. We challenge each other all the time, which is a healthy way of dealing with bad advice or less-than-stellar reasoning.

Also, it could be both. I don't like the stock tires, I love the Pirellis in stock sizes. But, some people do have problems with the stock bearings, and you may encounter that later too. So, it's something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
411 Posts

$30 for the bearings and $75 for labor is hardly $200-$300. $220 and up for a set of those tires plus whatever labor costs minus the fact that you had to change tires a few thousand miles too early equals a better idea to me. But again, as I've said earlier and someone else did too, the fact that you were able to solve your problem with a "simpler" solution is great for you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Labor time is rated for two hours so if your taking it to a shop its going to be more than $75.00

I was quoted 2 hours originally. I talked them down to 1 hour. Not the busiest shop, so I guess they needed the business. Gave the tech a tip for the work. Good local business, unfortunately they ended up going out of business a few months ago.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
You might have solved the issue for now as your steering head bearing most likely isn't worn yet. You will eventually develop a wobble due to the stock bearing because it's inevitable.

The best way to test for it is to accelerate to about 55-60mph, close the throttle, and let go of the handlebars. As the bike decelerates through the 40s and 30s watch the bars for a wobble. Do this test every 1,000 miles and you'll eventually notice a wobble.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You might have solved the issue for now as your steering head bearing most likely isn't worn yet. You will eventually develop a wobble due to the stock bearing because it's inevitable.

The best way to test for it is to accelerate to about 55-60mph, close the throttle, and let go of the handlebars. As the bike decelerates through the 40s and 30s watch the bars for a wobble. Do this test every 1,000 miles and you'll eventually notice a wobble.
On my 2013 300 I have 10k miles on my stock head bearings. No issues and no wobbles. There is no proof a wobble will develop. It is this kind of advice that I think op is talking about.

And this issue is not inevitable if you are properly maintaining them.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
On my 2013 300 I have 10k miles on my stock head bearings. No issues and no wobbles.
You're just one of the lucky ones or you're not checking for it correctly. You're the only person with the 300 who claims no wobble from the head bearing. The design and quality of the stock bearings are crap and when it wears you will get the wobble. There's absolutely no way to prevent it.

And this issue is not inevitable if you are properly maintaining them.
Yes, it's inevitable. There's no way to properly maintain them. They develop wear and you get the wobble. It's the design. The balls are loose and free to move around and when they wear and grooves are embedded into the ring you will develop the free play which creates the wobble. It's just a matter of time man there's no way to prevent it as it's just the design and quality of them. You may be able to prolong it by keeping it greased but there's no way to prevent it. Maybe if only a few members encountered it we could agree that it's just a few bad apples but pretty much every single 300 owner has had the wobble, and replaced them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I was quoted 2 hours originally. I talked them down to 1 hour. Not the busiest shop, so I guess they needed the business. Gave the tech a tip for the work. Good local business, unfortunately they ended up going out of business a few months ago.
Finding those shops are rare to bad it closed. I finally lucked out in my area there is a shop that charges $58.00 an hour. He put a new rear tire on for me it was with tax etc $29.00 got to love that

1 - 20 of 33 Posts