Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Saturday the 20th.04th I was traveling on a residential street when I began to reduce my speed on the approach to a bend on the road to approximately 40km/h (I take this corner at least twice a day). Due to a car being parked on the opposite side of the road, vehicles traveling in the opposite direction were using my lane to overtake this vehicle ( wagon with trailer). I reduced my speed to approximately 30km/h but was forced to run the corner wide as i could not stop in time to avoid a collision with the oncoming vehicle which was speeding at the time. My motorcycle collided with the gutter, threw me over the side and rolled onto the nature strip.
Luckily I gear up. Full gear (head to toe). I did not sustain any abrasions apart from a few broken bones in my hand which will need pins put in within the next few days. Glad its not my trigger hand
What bothered me the most was the fact that nobody stopped to help :|

Bike will be towed away for assessment tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
im glad your ok, it could have been a lot worse.speedy recovery for your hand

i wouldn’t stress too much over the bike. new parts can be bought any day for the bike, you can not do that for your hand though.

get your injuries sorted out first & worry about the bike later

·
Registered
292 Posts
Classifying a vehicle as "totaled" basically means it's cheaper for the insurance company to replace it rather than fix it.
For this bike you could damage a lot of it before being totaled.
A Lamborghini on the other hand might be totaled after ruining the body panels and setting off the airbags.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers cruizin, hand will be alright. Just want the op over and done with already

AdamJH, if the chassis has slight damage on it from the accident then does the repaireR have to supply me with an engineers certificate to state the structural integrity of the chassis is still sound?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I was looking over the pics. Aside from the tail, brake, it looks mostly superficial...but there is a lot of superficial. Bikes are super easy to write off unfortunately. Often it is an auto write-off if there is a bend in the frame, or scratches on the engine bits. So, it's tricky to say from pictures, but it is a possible write-off

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear about the off, and about your hand! Like others have said, they are gonna' look REALLY closely at the frame, and even a nick will make it a write-off. But it could be a really good situation for you. If they write it off, and a lot of it is easily fixable, then you can buy it back from them on the cheap and fix it up yourself.

Anyway, heal up for now!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I too feel sorry for what happened. What a shame no one stopped to help you out, that's just horrible. :(. But it looks like you're not too badly injured and your bike will also be ok.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wish you a speedy recovery.

FYI, Frame damage is not an automatic total for this bike. Frame replacement is cheap on this bike and mine was replaced (around $1200). Someone ran into the back of me and bike was 6 weeks old and had around 1400 miles on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the well wishes.
I had the bike collected and dropped off at my preferred bike repairer today
From what the boys in the shop are saying there is a very high chance it will be written off... what a shame, she was a beauty.
At least i know where i stand with the bike now. Time to start stressing over this hand surgery. Lets hope I can still give that one finger salute when i'm riding again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts