Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday and today I have been replacing my head bearings with tapered ones from Pyramid. I was putting it all back together and must have tugged on the wiring a little too much and am now having intermittent electrical issues. I have traced it down to one cluster of wires, the ones that run to start button and kill switch. When I got my bike back together and tried to start it the gauges came on, all of the appropriate lights came on everywhere, the fuel pump built pressure, and I pushed the start button and nothing happened. I triple checked everything was in order and tried again, still nothing. So I started wiggling wires down by the steering head and she fired right up and died about 4 seconds later. I have found that if I move the wire "in the middle, not by a connector" it will affect it. I can kill the bike by touching the wire. I can also disable the starter with it. Has anyone else had this issue? Can I replace the small wire bundle? I haven't messed with it much..I did drive it and the bearing replacement isn't right (steering is way too tight) so I quit working on it so I wouldn't be working on it pi**ed off and mess something else up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yesterday and today I have been replacing my head bearings with tapered ones from Pyramid. I was putting it all back together and must have tugged on the wiring a little too much and am now having intermittent electrical issues. I have traced it down to one cluster of wires, the ones that run to start button and kill switch. When I got my bike back together and tried to start it the gauges came on, all of the appropriate lights came on everywhere, the fuel pump built pressure, and I pushed the start button and nothing happened. I triple checked everything was in order and tried again, still nothing. So I started wiggling wires down by the steering head and she fired right up and died about 4 seconds later. I have found that if I move the wire "in the middle, not by a connector" it will affect it. I can kill the bike by touching the wire. I can also disable the starter with it. Has anyone else had this issue? Can I replace the small wire bundle? I haven't messed with it much..I did drive it and the bearing replacement isn't right (steering is way too tight) so I quit working on it so I wouldn't be working on it pi**ed off and mess something else up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Good work taking a break. I know the feeling.

U should be able to replace an individual wire. In theory.

I haven't done anything nearly as drastic as the head bearing swap, so im not 100% sure. But, if u can identify the wire I think u can replace it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
428 Posts
First of all, I would stop playing around with it and disconnect your battery to avoid shorting something out and potentially causing more damage.

It sounds like you may have kinked/broken one of the wires in the harness. It should definitely be repairable, either by simply splicing the wire together or by running a new wire from one connector to the other connector.

The only way to see the damage is to CAREFULLY slice open the sleeve covering the harness to do a physical inspection in the area. If you're not comfortable doing these kinds of things, I would definitely let an expert take care of it for you since you could inadvertently do a lot of collateral damage if you're not careful.

Reactions: Ilya

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
im not sure exactly what wiring your talking about, but if it is the wiring from the "switch gear" eg - starter button, horn, etc , you can buy new switch gear.

you might be able to remove the old switch gear and slide the cover off the wire harness from the switch gear and see if there is any cable damage & replace it.

you can find switch gear here

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/50aa38a2f8700226a41466c9/handlebar

just dont buy it there, they are incredibly expensive, but get the part numbers

take a look at 46091 & 46091A

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take a look at the wiring diagrams on the service manual and see where do those wires connects to on the ECU and then with a volt meter check for continuity on each cable toggling each switch so you can pinpoint what cable is the faulty one, then you should be able to repair/replace it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Cruizin thanks for the exploded diagram and part numbers! I am going to look at it now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have progress! The big plug on part# 46091 was unplugged. I suppose it was pulled out when I was putting everything back together, everything was unnecessarily tight. I have taken all of the fairings off of my bike for various reasons. I have found that there are wires all over the bike that are tight in all the wrong places. One of the coil wires is so tight that the wire is "bent up" right out of the coil. Also, I think my top bearing race is sideways a little causing the nut to loosen itself which makes the steering tight and unpredictable. Anyway, I thought I would put this just in case someone else had this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts