Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first street bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes. I already have 900 miles on her. And have done rear fender elemenater and reflector delete and smoked shield. About to smoke my tail light. But any how ive seen people say they did the snorkel delete. What is this and how do you do it? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i have never bothered with a snorkel delete. i remember 13 years ago there was a few who made a big deal on the vfr800 list they deleted the snorkel & got an extra 1 Hp from it

whoop-de-do

i say. over the years i have learnt if you want to go faster, learn how to ride better

·
Registered
6 Posts
it funnels the air to your airbox-pull it out it allows more air to flow-a bike with carbs would need re-jetting-efi would need power commander or ecu reflash to get your fuel-air mixture correct. don't bother unless you get pipe,a higher flow air filter and a power commander.unless ecu autocorrects,it would make your bike a little leaner

·
Registered
221 Posts
Easy

Take the air box access panel off (couple screws) pull foam filter out (here is where I would suggest throwing it away and getting k and n panel filter ) keep mind of how you pulled it out (it's tapered) so replace it exact same way when done.

Snorkel is sticking out back of air box (canted at a 45 degree angle towards rear wheel)

It's only held in by some glue and the rubber surround. You can pry on it with a screwdriver from the back of the box, wiggle a driver under the rubber boot and work it out. (I used a vise grip and literally pulled it out the side/rear frame ) pull it out the back or in through the box, whatever is clever....

I drilled a few holes in my airbox and put in k and n panel filter (but my map is tuned for that.....)

Enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have never bothered with a snorkel delete. i remember 13 years ago there was a few who made a big deal on the vfr800 list they deleted the snorkel & got an extra 1 Hp from it

whoop-de-do

i say. over the years i have learnt if you want to go faster, learn how to ride better
Kerry at area p seems to be the guru and here is what he says..,

" Yes, we recommend the K&N panel filter and removal of the airbox snorkel. Removing the snorkel allows more air into the airbox, thereby increasing power when properly mapped. You do not have to do this, but it is beneficial.

Nobody in the industry puts more R&D into their products than Area P. The results and support speak for themselves."

Sincerely,

Kerry Bryant - President

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I take it out I would need to do somthen else so my bike doesn't run lean? Or can I just take it out and the bike would be ok? Also I wanna get a k an n filter do I just buy that from there site? Or where can I order one from?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You would need a tuner (fuel moto/area p) as far as filter, amazon is your friend. I wouldn't do any of them unless you add a full exhaust as well...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would need a tuner (fuel moto/area p) as far as filter, amazon is your friend. I wouldn't do any of them unless you add a full exhaust as well...
Oh ok. Thank you guys. I'm planning to buy a full standard carbon fiber exhaust from area p next week anyways. Also rob post a link to where to get those lights in ur other thread.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't see how this is making your bike run lean when the air flow is measured further down the track and fuel added to match! Yeah sure the bikes are running lean from factory but snorkel delete making it leaner?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I don't see how this is making your bike run lean when the air flow is measured further down the track and fuel added to match! Yeah sure the bikes are running lean from factory but snorkel delete making it leaner?
As far as I know the AFR is set from the factory in stock ECU's so if you remove the snorkel and get more air, the bike will be leaner as no more fuel is being added to compensate.

This is where you would need a tuner.

But with any mod to your intake or exhaust you wont get any impact unless you install a tuner.

Like I hear all the time regarding intake and exhaust mods; no point getting a bigger set of lungs if your windpipe is restricted........or vice versa.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
That being said, I have done the snorkel delete.

Difference between before and after, very little to none.

So it is really just a personal preference mod if you want to do this, you will get more air but dont expect to get heaps of impact from it.

It is a 296cc motor........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
801 Posts
The ecu dosnt put a certain amount of fuel judged by throttle position! It gathers info from various sensors so it knows things like what kind of load its under what position the throttle is in and how much air it is taking in! It then adds fuel according to what the particular map tells it to add. So the more air flow the more fuel added! The stock maps are on the lean side but its not made leaner!maybe it dosnt make much difference by it self but if your after performance and your doing exhaus and tuner ext, every little bit counts!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
That being said, I have done the snorkel delete.

Difference between before and after, very little to none.

So it is really just a personal preference mod if you want to do this, you will get more air but dont expect to get heaps of impact from it.

It is a 296cc motor........:rolleyes:
lol, thats exactly what i expected to hear from someone who has done it as well. even 13 years ago on the vfr800 it made the same amount of difference as well

·
Registered
105 Posts
I understand that it is a small amount of bonus, and with that in mind I have a short list.
1. Taking weight off regardless of the amount means better Power to Weight Ratio, especially on a little bike which taking only a few pounds off can be a 1 to 2 percent decrease in weight. Thats huge! How about if you could lose 5 lbs right now off your body doing almost nothing? hahaha
2. More Air (exhaust + filter +airbox) + More Gas (PCV + ECU + whatever) = More Power.
3. The cost of this mod is a whopping 0 dollars!

·
Banned
196 Posts
People need to remember that doing modifications like this can make the bike more susceptible to damage by water. Not saying in this specific case its true but the pieces were desined the way they are not only for air flow for engine but also for water tightness. So modify at your own risk.

·
Banned
196 Posts
The ecu dosnt put a certain amount of fuel judged by throttle position! It gathers info from various sensors so it knows things like what kind of load its under what position the throttle is in and how much air it is taking in! It then adds fuel according to what the particular map tells it to add. So the more air flow the more fuel added! The stock maps are on the lean side but its not made leaner!maybe it dosnt make much difference by it self but if your after performance and your doing exhaus and tuner ext, every little bit counts!
Its true that the ecu will adjust but only by a small bit. If it could fully adjust we wouldnt need tuners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts