Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for feedback from everyone that has done the snorkel delete…

I installed a K&N filter today and went to do the snorkel delete as well. After it was done I realized that there is a direct gap from the side of bike right into the air box with the snorkel removed, and I was worried about water getting in there. Snorkel has been re-installed for now.

For those who have done this mod:

1. Have you had any issues with water/rain?
2. Did it make any difference in how the bike sounds?
3. Did the bike run/ride any better/worse?
4. Would you do it again based on your experience??

To be clear I'm not interested in re-debating horsepower gain, venturi effect or anything like that. Just want to know if the bike runs well, sounds better and is still water proof without it!! :eek:k:

·
Registered
366 Posts

I haven't removed the snorkel nor do I really plan on it. I believe this is beneficial in some cases, I'm leaning towards no in ours. For example on the mustang gts 99-04 removing the stock snorkel and replacing the air filter with a drop in k&n air filter will net the same gains as a cold air intake (granted doesn't look as nice as some of the intakes but they range into the 300s vs 50)

I doubt our essentially stock motors are starving for air, it's something I'll look into more over the next few months as I get the full exhaust installed and dyno'd etc though

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I removed the snorkel and didn't even ride the bike after. I just went ahead and took out the airbox and put in a k&n pod filter r-0990 . The bike is louder, faster, and has a much deeper tone with the airbox removed, I can't comment on the snorkel. But I've ridden in rain before and nothing has happened. Mind you the pod filter is under the tank and almost directly exposed to the elements as you can see in this picture)fairings are off in this pic btw.

Reactions: Seanrios24

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. Have you had any issues with water/rain? NO
2. Did it make any difference in how the bike sounds? Yes
3. Did the bike run/ride any better/worse? no difference
4. Would you do it again based on your experience?? Hell Yes just go do it right now!

·
Registered
801 Posts
No issue with rain and I rode every day rain hail or shine! I also noticed the open Ness to water when I did it so was always carefully with hose direction whilst washing!
Didn't really notice Any extra intake noise but I think I could hear more internal engine noise which I didn't really like! Always thinking is that a new noise? Something wrong?
No effect to power!
No I would not do it again unless I was doing other mods like full exhaust, k&n and tune!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took the whole air box out and plugged the clean air system using a bolt. This stopped the constant popping on deceleration, however I can still get he to pop by just slightly cracking the throttle! I removed the fire suppression screen and bored a hole about double the size of the original hole with the snorkel delete! I then fitted a k&n filter!

This added plenty of intake noise! Kinda like a Honda with a pod filter! I have a pipe werks slip on exhaust so thankfully you can't notice the "V-tech" noise too much! Haha

I did notice a power gain, not overly!

Once I installed the pcs5 I blew in a "off the shelf" calibration. Was for any intake and a two brothers slip on exhaust!

This gave a nice power increase.
I believe everyone on this forum has a difference experience in doing this and has different opinions! I think is worth it!
My ninja is only for weekends and not really ridden in the rain! Still don't think water will get in there! If so there is a lower section of the air box that catches oil and you can drain this on the left hand side of the bike just above the front sprocket. Then there is the filter itself that is a physical barrier!

Help this helps

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did it along with a full exhaust and tuner so I noticed no change in power/sound that that I could attribute to the snorkel removal. Couldn't tell you about rain as I never ride in it. All in all this post is pretty much useless at answering any of your questions. From what I've read though the snorkel delete is worthless and might even be a performance hindrance without a tune, as is with any mod on this bike it seems

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took mine off after the yoshi full exhaust, air and pc5 was already done, sure noticed a much deeper sound, especially around the lower rpms. and think there might be a bit less of a dead spot through the powerband. As for water, got caught on the way home in a thunderstorm and had no issues at all.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I did it too.

For me, there was no difference in power or sound.

I ride in the rain all the time, and didnt have an issue.

Would I do it again? No. Because it made no difference.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I removed the snorkel and didn't even ride the bike after. I just went ahead and took out the airbox and put in a k&n pod filter r-0990 . The bike is louder, faster, and has a much deeper tone with the airbox removed, I can't comment on the snorkel. But I've ridden in rain before and nothing has happened. Mind you the pod filter is under the tank and almost directly exposed to the elements as you can see in this picture)fairings are off in this pic btw.
Hey man can you tell me more about this? What made you decide to do it? Was it easy to do? What kind of power difference were you able to feel?

·
Registered
25 Posts

The only way you will gain any power by removing snorkel is if you have a full exhaust or a slip on, and mess with your carb needles, gas/air intake ratio into the motor, all 3 of these things must be done, take out the filter box and install pods, have aftermarket exhaust and do a jet kit, you will notice a power gain from this.

edit. I forgot the 300 isnt carburated and is fuel injected so in that case i would just get the power commander.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The only way you will gain any power by removing snorkel is if you have a full exhaust or a slip on, and mess with your carb needles, gas/air intake ratio into the motor, all 3 of these things must be done, take out the filter box and install pods, have aftermarket exhaust and do a jet kit, you will notice a power gain from this.

edit. I forgot the 300 isnt carburated and is fuel injected so in that case i would just get the power commander.

So pods aren't worth it alone? Hm , I'm looking for some simple mechanical changes for slightly noticeable power, this doesn't seem to be one of them

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just install k and n air filter normally and couple it with a tuner and full exhaust. There are no quick fixes. Just like adding a cold air intake to a car creates a minor increase in power

·
Registered
25 Posts
So pods aren't worth it alone? Hm , I'm looking for some simple mechanical changes for slightly noticeable power, this doesn't seem to be one of them
You will just have more air going into the motor, but the gas intake is the same so it doesnt make a difference, this is why you need a power commander, it will sound diffferent, you will hear air suction but no power difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a yoshi full exhaust and k&n air filter. I was getting a lot of popping/backfiring on deceleration (mixture too rich). I don't really want to have to get a power commander so I thought a snorkel delete would balance out the air/fuel ratio.
It did.
I took out the snorkel and get only a pop once in a while. Not sure if I'd say it has more power, but it does go through gears easier.
Had a crazy rainstorm today and no issue.
Don't see a point in putting on a pod filter. The snorkel was like sipping through a straw. Once you're chugging air there's only so much you can chug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I removed the snorkel and didn't even ride the bike after. I just went ahead and took out the airbox and put in a k&n pod filter r-0990 . The bike is louder, faster, and has a much deeper tone with the airbox removed, I can't comment on the snorkel. But I've ridden in rain before and nothing has happened. Mind you the pod filter is under the tank and almost directly exposed to the elements as you can see in this picture)fairings are off in this pic

What crankcase breather filter did you use? & how did you rout the breather?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have any issues after removing the airbox such as vaccuum hoses not connected or any sensors on the airbox

1 - 18 of 18 Posts