Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone been riding the ninja 300 under rain?

I live in Vancouver, so I've been facing bad weather quite often. I've noticed, specially when I stop the bike on a intersection, lots of smoke coming from the front, somewhere between the fairings, right above the radiator. The funny thing is that it does not smell like boiling water, but smells like burnt plastic!

Is this normal? Has anyone seen this too?

Thank you.

Sent from my Motorola PT550 using Motorcycle.com Android app

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Vegas and its been raining for the last couple of days.I noticed on my way home from work tonight that the same smoke you described coming from the front of the bike.When I got home I found that the front tire had kicked up some mud/dirty water on front of the radiator when driving through a puddle.I the radiator was causing it to steam.Once I washed off the stain no more smoke

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I've turned my bike on for the first time in about 2-3 weeks just to see if the battery etc was ok (following my crash, I'm gonna fix it later), and after a minute or two of idling, smoke started being ejected from the same area as what's mentioned here, through the front fairings. It never smoked before, even after the crash when I was testing to see if the engine still ran ok, and it seemed completely normal.

Can anyone tell me why? It was a pretty bad smell. It started off negligible, but then got pretty bad. I turned it off as soon as I saw that it wasn't just a little bit of random smoke. The thing is, the bike has just been sitting in my carport all this time and as far as I know hasn't gotten wet or anything. Any ideas guys...? :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I've turned my bike on for the first time in about 2-3 weeks just to see if the battery etc was ok (following my crash, I'm gonna fix it later), and after a minute or two of idling, smoke started being ejected from the same area as what's mentioned here, through the front fairings. It never smoked before, even after the crash when I was testing to see if the engine still ran ok, and it seemed completely normal.

Can anyone tell me why? It was a pretty bad smell. It started off negligible, but then got pretty bad. I turned it off as soon as I saw that it wasn't just a little bit of random smoke. The thing is, the bike has just been sitting in my carport all this time and as far as I know hasn't gotten wet or anything. Any ideas guys...? :(
Have you checked your coolant level since your crash? Make sure it didn't all spill out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What color is the smoke?
Just a normal greyish/whiteish steam colour.

Have you checked your coolant level since your crash? Make sure it didn't all spill out.

I have now - coolant level seems fine. I don't remember seeing any other fluids at the crash site or afterwards :(

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's a lot of stuff on the road surface that flicks up when you ride in the rain and sprays onto the radiator and exhaust that causes the smoke.the first time it happend to me I thought I burst the radiator or cracked the top up bottle.just give it a good clean and ride it hard afterwards for a bit(the exhaust also gets a bit of water in it if left in the rain.you'll notice that the bike smokes more than usual when it rains and a bit after the rain).just got to steam it all out.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Nah, haven't noticed any leaking - engine oil level is fine too. I'll have a look later on at a friend's house, perhaps sometime in the coming week.
Kenneth might be on to something...if it were oil leaking it would be a darker colored smoke...the color you described points more to your radiator or as kenneth described water or dirt splashing up. Here in oregon I ride in the rain almost everyday and have not seen any steam or smoke from that area.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's a lot of stuff on the road surface that flicks up when you ride in the rain and sprays onto the radiator and exhaust that causes the smoke.the first time it happend to me I thought I burst the radiator or cracked the top up bottle.just give it a good clean and ride it hard afterwards for a bit(the exhaust also gets a bit of water in it if left in the rain.you'll notice that the bike smokes more than usual when it rains and a bit after the rain).just got to steam it all out.

Ok, I'll check the radiator and the exhaust for any mess - the strange thing is that the bike has been sitting in the carport doing nothing when it started fuming. If it's the dirty radiator, it might need a bit of detective work to figure out how stuff got up there when it just sits at home all day! (My guess would be the wind pushing stuff up in there - it's not covered, it just has a blanket over it :D)

this sounds interesting, i hope you find the answer to it
Thanks, will keep everyone posted :)

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Kenneth might be on to something...if it were oil leaking it would be a darker colored smoke...the color you described points more to your radiator or as kenneth described water or dirt splashing up. Here in oregon I ride in the rain almost everyday and have not seen any steam or smoke from that area.http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
i agree , i have ridden my bike thru rain countless times & never had steam or smoke either

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's a lot of stuff on the road surface that flicks up when you ride in the rain and sprays onto the radiator and exhaust that causes the smoke.
A SOLUTION has been found! :D

Basically what had happened was following my crash, some plastic from the fairings had gotten itself into the exhaust, and then had melted which was causing the smoke. No biggie! Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
A SOLUTION has been found! :D

Basically what had happened was following my crash, some plastic from the fairings had gotten itself into the exhaust, and then had melted which was causing the smoke. No biggie! Thanks guys :)
ah ha!!!! ( say the following in your best "get smart" tv show voice)

the old fairing came lose & got caught on the exhaust and melted up trick aye.... one of the oldest tricks in the book

thanks for letting us know

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.