Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding today I have noticed small RPM drop when idling at red light. It goes down 100-200 rpm from idling speed and then quickly back up. You can hear the rpm drop. It is very quick. It did so every 10 sec or so while waiting at red light. I have not noticed this before. I have ridden 500 miles on my bike.

I was holding clutch. Weather warm. Traffic - stop and go.

Is this normal? What is the cause?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My bike does it too. Currently at about 160km (100miles). At a stop the engine rpms go down to 1,000 then boost up to 2,000 in one second then go steadily down to 1,000 in three seconds and back up to 2,000 in one second and so on and so on. Kinda worries me. Glad you brought up the topic to see people's replies.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike does it too. Currently at about 160km (100miles). At a stop the engine rpms go down to 1,000 then boost up to 2,000 in one second then go steadily down to 1,000 in three seconds and back up to 2,000 in one second and so on and so on. Kinda worries me. Glad you brought up the topic to see people's replies.

You might have a bigger issue there. Mine only drops 100-200 and you say - -1000 drop - that's a lot.

Do you ride your bike hard or try to go under 4-5 rpm for break-in?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yea probably different issue. I do ride it fairly rough for a new bike. I can't keep the rpms below 4k but that isn't to say that I destroy the living crap out of it either. Who knows, maybe what I'm experiencing is normal.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Might be a variation of the proverbial "Ninja 300 stall". I have suspected that it should be present on the vast majority of bikes even if they don't completely stall. Fuel injected bikes are programmed with maps that determine the fuel and air delivered at different throttle conditions, idle, start-up, temps, etc, so it seems the problem probably can be fixed with a new map. Super sport bikes are always coming out with different maps to address these problems and they have different maps for racing and street use. So far Kawa hasn't come up with a fix.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This sounds about right. Every time the rpms shoot down it gets really close to stalling (you can tell by the way the engine struggles to stay alive) before they shoot back up.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
mmmmmmmm.... interesting discovery here guys. my bike starts when cold and idles around 2000 till it warms up and then drops back to 1100 and stays that way.there is no "hunting" once warmed up, it stays put at 1100 when idling

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't know about my bike, but I have a rough idle that does almost the same thing as you're describing in my car.

It's been that way since day 0 when I rolled it off the lot with 0 miles on the ODO, and it's a known characteristic of the way the engine in my car is designed.

I say unless the bike is stalling, it is very possible it's just the nature of the bike's design as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think dkw nailed it, might be a lesser problem then the full on stall that quite a few riders have reported in another thread. Just keep on monitoring it and make sure it does not get worse. You might be able to provide some insight if the problem worsens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts