Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang...my 300 only has 150 miles on it. Last night I found a very small staple stuck in the tread on the back tire. I pulled it out and put some soapy water on the hole. It is leaking very SLOWLY. Should I buy a new tire? Gotta be some way to fix a leak this small.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Well you can buy a new tire or plug it. Some people are strongly against plugging a motorcycle tire some will ride all day long on it.

I strongly recommend you do one of the above to prevent you from totalling your new motorcycle

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
you can buy the pressure pack cans that squirt gunk in the tyre to fix holes, but ask any body who fit tyres for a living & they all tell you the same thing that they are the worst thing to use

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean this hole pops up a tiny little bubble about every 2 seconds. I bet it would take a week or more to lose 5 psi in the tire.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
you can buy the pressure pack cans that squirt gunk in the tyre to fix holes, but ask any body who fit tyres for a living & they all tell you the same thing that they are the worst thing to use
Never use that stuff, it's only made to get you to a repair shop. It is not meant to permanently stop leaks, it will eat the tire away and cause the shop to have to clean a wheel. I hated when I worked in a tire shop and someone used that crap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
grab a tube of super glue and put a drop or two on it.deflate the tire first so it doesn’t keep getting forced out by the air inside.then leave it sit for an hour, longer the better, then re-inflate & test

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
grab a tube of super glue and put a drop or two on it.deflate the tire first so it doesn’t keep getting forced out by the air inside.then leave it sit for an hour, longer the better, then re-inflate & test
Omg, what?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Wouldn't it easily be removed with road?
http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile

i have often wondered this myself. i have lost count the amount of group rides i have been on in outback/rural/remote Australia and some one has had something similar happen to them & ask at the local service station for assistance & got told this & the rider did it & it got them back home ok

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Get the simple tubeless tire plug kit, about $5. Ream the hole, insert plug. I've never heard of or seen one fail if installed in the tread section. There are internal plugs if you are worried, or new tires. The glue thing would be a last resort to limp to a plug IMO. I've ridden with a flat to get there though. Usually if you have air, you have a plug available too.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Plug patch. It's a plug inserted from the inside with a patch attached. They never fail and can't fall out.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I thought I had a slow leak in my back tire too shortly after buying it. Every time I went to Chevron ( Free Air ) the back tire would always have less air than it did when I put air in it while the front was the same.

Now, a few weeks later, and it's not doing it anymore, tires seem to be holding the correct about of air. I check the air every 2 days or so during my routine ride. I normally warm her up, and ride straight to Chevron, and check the air, and then I know it's good, so I ride normally after. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts