Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for new shoes for my 300, Im track only and run Pirelli slicks on my SV, but they don't make a 140 slick, no one does to my knowledge.

I'm currently running a 90 'stone slick up front with a Rosso II (140) on the rear, but looking for something stickier, whatcha got?

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
I talked to my Pirelli distributor this weekend about this very issue. He called Pirelli to see what they have that will work. It looks like I'll be using the same tires I use on my 250. Super Corsa's in 120/150 in race compounds. I usually use SC2's. They have slicks in 100/125, but they said the rear would be too stretched. I believe they also have a 160 rear slick, but they would be too pinched.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I'm gonna try the 110/150 SC 2's this weekend at chuck, price is the same as my SV :-( Oh well, gotta pay to play.

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
I'm gonna test fit a 160 slick on the 300. I'ts the same amount over stock as the 150's on the 250 so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll let you know once its done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh. Musta been a miscommunication, I got to the track and Kieffer had the DOT SCI's, instead of slicks. He said they didn't make them in slicks, but that was what I was hoping for. I slapped 'em on (110/150) and they're fairly sticky, I was having suspension setup issues, so didn't have a good baseline to go by, but I ran some pretty good and (pretty bad) times at Chucky this weekend. Need to dial in the suspension for better evaluation of the SC's, but I think I like. Kinda a mental crutch not having slicks, but probably are just as sticky.

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
The SC's stick just fine. I use them on my 250 and I will be using them on my 300 as well. I even usually use the SC2 compound.

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
It's very stable and plenty of grip. Nice and predictable. I didn't find it sluggish as people speculate that bigger tires will reduce the flickability of the small bikes. Not true. The only downside is that you can't get to the very edge of the tire so there is a wasted half inch(~12mm) of tire.

Reactions: Kurt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran the SC1 in 110/150 on my 300 this weekend for the first time and found them to be very grippy and stable. The front has about 1/4" of unused tire but the rear is scrubbed all the way to the edge.

Attachments

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
I picked up a set of 250 rims and ordered a set of Pirelli Slicks in 100 front and 125 rear. I dropped off the rims today to be powder coated. I'll be using them at my next race August 10-11th.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm very interested in going to a 150 rear as I'm having trouble sourcing DRIIs in 140 where I am.

What I'm concerned about through reading the tyre threads on this forum is that going to a wider tyre will "pinch" the tyre and will actually result in a smaller contact patch due to the smaller rim, thereby actually reducing traction compared to a 140 rear. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not to mention that the softer compound is right on the edge of this tyre and you probably wouldn't get over therr!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ran the SC1 in 110/150 on my 300 this weekend for the first time and found them to be very grippy and stable. The front has about 1/4" of unused tire but the rear is scrubbed all the way to the edge.
You still running these?

Have you tried other brands, tire sizes, etc?

Anybody else, pls share thoughts on race tires for 300.

I need to pick race tires soon.
I was hoping Bridgestones slicks.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts