Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Started many year ago in the aviation scene.

Then moved to MX, ATV and Roadrace bikes exhaust plugs, used to keep water from getting into mufflers while washing.

Trickled on over to many other things, inlcuding the now popular key chains...

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's just a funny addon people consider the sport bikes "rockets" or "crotch rockets" or "rice rockets" (all fairly accurate).

Personally I think it's amusing. People within the motorcycle community, when selling a used bike, ofter refer to other riders as "test pilots".

·
Registered
428 Posts
Aircraft attach "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" streamers to protective covers that (obviously) need to be removed prior to starting up the aircraft and flying it. These covers protect everything from engine intakes and exhaust ducts to sensitive avionics equipment to safety pins that prevent landing gear from collapsing on the ground.

Source: 21 years in the USAF ;)

The Motorcycle community just took it from there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I was getting my glider pilot license, we all bought red scrub pants with "Remove Before Flight" printed down one leg. We were hilarious back then.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Considering the fact that we are now in the space age, I replaced my " REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT " key tags. :surprise:

My new key tags read " LAUNCH KEY " >:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cool thread...

My Ninja 300 keychain says PULL TO EJECT (from my days working on the Mirage III fighter planes and their Martin-Baker ejector seats).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cool thread...

My Ninja 300 keychain says PULL TO EJECT (from my days working on the Mirage III fighter planes and their Martin-Baker ejector seats).

Way back when in my USAF days, one of the most dangerous ejection seats I ever sat in was in the T-33. You had to be really careful with that one.

But two other seats that are dangerous, belong to the B-52. Both the Navigator and the Bomb Navigator seats eject DOWNWARDS. Thus, if you were ever sitting in one of those while on the ground and an accidental ejection occurred, you became a pancake. :emot-angel:

Happy, very happy to say that with 13,000 hours of flight time in my log books, I never left an aircraft either accidently or on purpose because of an emergency. :wink2:

Damn, wait a minute. I did leave and run away from a KC-97 which caught on fire. But that was a ground incident and does not count as an ejection or an inflight emergency. :smile2:
I still very much like my " LAUNCH KEY " tags. When I turn that key, I know that I an off for an adventure. >:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
What's older, you or a B-52?

You wanted to get that hibachi grill started early for the long haul ;)

1. Regretfully so, I have to admit that I am older than the B-52. I came along about the same time the B-29 went into service. :wink2: Happily I can say that the B-52 is still in service. As I am also still in service. :yahoo:

2. The fire that occurred on the KC-97 was an electrical fire. A circuit shorted out and the " Circuit Breaker Type Switch " failed. Thus, a bundle of electrical wires the length of the aircraft caught on fire. The aircraft was fully fueled for a refueling mission. One brave soul ventured onto the aircraft and put out the fire. He should have been decorated, but sadly he was not. :frown2:
3. These old bones have seen enough stressful situations in their life time. More than needs to be talked about. But the everyday citizen has no idea, how much they really owe to the United States military and its veterans. :emot-thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have one of these and I like it for 2 practical reasons:

- The long ribbon is easy to hold with gloves on.
- The soft ribbon will not damage your bike when it bounces around.
- Mine is bright orange and easy to notice and remove when I leave the bike.

Then I like it for the not so practical reason that it makes me feel good.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have one of these and I like it for 2 practical reasons:

- The long ribbon is easy to hold with gloves on.
- The soft ribbon will not damage your bike when it bounces around.
- Mine is bright orange and easy to notice and remove when I leave the bike.

Then I like it for the not so practical reason that it makes me feel good.

Like the old saying goes ............ WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT :wink2:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .......... KEEP THE SHINEY SIDE UP :smile2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts