Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research and checking out the Ninja 300 in person I've decided its the motorcycle for me. Now comes the tough part, buying a damn motorcycle! I've been researching online and it seems like 2013 and 2014 ABS models are selling for around $4-4.25k. But according to book value these bikes are worth about $2.5-3.5k (trade-in to retail). So I am having a hard time paying anything more than these book values. But here are two deals that are on the table right now.

Deal 1
2014 Ninja 300 ABS - Blk
1800 miles
Perfect condition
$3600

Deal 2
2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition ABS - Green
1500 miles
Perfect condition
$3600 or $3700 w/maintenance plan

So should I pull the trigger on either of these or wait?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree go with 2014 its a lil things they change year to year that we dont know about that make it a better choice. nothing wrong with the 2013 besides the fairing issue that i know of. but i personally want the 2014 se

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take 2014. My 2013 SE abs has the fairing gap issue.
Thanks! I hadn't found anything about the fairing gap issues. I did read something about there being a recall on the 2013 ABS module and the 2014's shipped with the fixed version.

whichever one that the seller knocks a couple hundred off his asking price
On the black 2014 the seller was originally at $4200, now his CL listing is for $4000 and I talked him down to $3600. The 2013 SE ABS was originally at $4250 and they are now down to $3600. Based off there asking price it looks like a good deal but I question that because of book values. But it seems like a lot of people impulse buy these bikes are then when they sell they are upside down on them.

i agree go with 2014 its a lil things they change year to year that we dont know about that make it a better choice. nothing wrong with the 2013 besides the fairing issue that i know of. but i personally want the 2014 se
Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Thanks! I hadn't found anything about the fairing gap issues. I did read something about there being a recall on the 2013 ABS module and the 2014's shipped with the fixed version.

On the black 2014 the seller was originally at $4200, now his CL listing is for $4000 and I talked him down to $3600. The 2013 SE ABS was originally at $4250 and they are now down to $3600. Based off there asking price it looks like a good deal but I question that because of book values. But it seems like a lot of people impulse buy these bikes are then when they sell they are upside down on them.

Thanks man!
Kawasaki is not doing a recall on the fairing gap since it is not a safety issue. I've complained many times about the fairings popping out and they haven't responded yet. Honestly that is just kawasaki not owning up to their responsibility. We have a few forum members on here complaining about it but i'm not sure how wide spread the fairing gap issue is. For reference my fairing gap is about 2 cm. My fairing gap is on the left side and my right side is in perfect condition. I've see some photos of the problem on the right side.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kawasaki is not doing a recall on the fairing gap since it is not a safety issue. I've complained many times about the fairings popping out and they haven't responded yet. Honestly that is just kawasaki not owning up to their responsibility. We have a few forum members on here complaining about it but i'm not sure how wide spread the fairing gap issue is. For reference my fairing gap is about 2 cm. My fairing gap is on the left side and my right side is in perfect condition. I've see some photos of the problem on the right side.
Sorry I was referring to the 2013 bikes having the ABS module recalled not the flares. I think you guys have me leaning towards the 2014. Plus it keeps my girlfriend happier since she likes "the black one" better lol. Hopefully I can get her to learn how to ride on this bike as well. If any other members have any input please post!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The 2013 had a recall for the ECU unit. For 2014 that's been fixed. Also for the rear brake caliper, for both ABS and non ABS bikes. Also for ABS bikes, the ABS sensor lead bracket for the front is interfering with the front brake caliper.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you're hoping for a price drop, you won't find it now during riding season. If you live where it snows, prices usually drop in the winter.

·
Registered
664 Posts
After doing some research and checking out the Ninja 300 in person I've decided its the motorcycle for me. Now comes the tough part, buying a damn motorcycle! I've been researching online and it seems like 2013 and 2014 ABS models are selling for around $4-4.25k. But according to book value these bikes are worth about $2.5-3.5k (trade-in to retail). So I am having a hard time paying anything more than these book values. But here are two deals that are on the table right now.

Deal 1
2014 Ninja 300 ABS - Blk
1800 miles
Perfect condition
$3600

Deal 2
2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition ABS - Green
1500 miles
Perfect condition
$3600 or $3700 w/maintenance plan

So should I pull the trigger on either of these or wait?
The answer is up to you. Get the one you want if you think it's a good deal. Someone will always say you should have bought the other, or paid a lower price, but the real question is are you happy with your purchase? If the answer is yes, then it's a good deal and you should do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2013 had a recall for the ECU unit. For 2014 that's been fixed. Also for the rear brake caliper, for both ABS and non ABS bikes. Also for ABS bikes, the ABS sensor lead bracket for the front is interfering with the front brake caliper.
Thanks for the information, I hadn't come across this yet.

If you're hoping for a price drop, you won't find it now during riding season. If you live where it snows, prices usually drop in the winter.
I live in Alabama so we do experience a slight price drop in the winter but not too much. But I understand what your saying. I still love trying to find deals on almost everything I buy.

The answer is up to you. Get the one you want if you think it's a good deal. Someone will always say you should have bought the other, or paid a lower price, but the real question is are you happy with your purchase? If the answer is yes, then it's a good deal and you should do it.
The problem is what I think is a good deal no one will respond lol. To me a good deal would be $3,000 but so far no one will respond to that. Closest so far is $3,600 for that 2013 with ABS.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ive found that Kelley's list them alot lower than NADA... which is what banks use to value the bikes when giving loans. As far as the gap issue with 14's, not mine. I have faring gap in a couple places on my black 14 ABS.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Both seem like a decent deal. I had all the recalls done on my 13 (ABS & ECU for stalling). Although I never experienced these issues personally, I had them done anyway.

I do have the fairing gap issue. Mine is about 1/4" gap. I'm used to it already. It's like a beauty mark for me now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive found that Kelley's list them alot lower than NADA... which is what banks use to value the bikes when giving loans. As far as the gap issue with 14's, not mine. I have faring gap in a couple places on my black 14 ABS.
Well Hell! According to Nada $3,500 is a good deal. I spoke with the owner of the 2014 Black ABS and he is will to take $3,500 just needs a couple weeks to get some other money to pay off the rest of the loan. But he'll include a helmet, gloves and jacket. I already own all three of those so I'll just go around and sell them for a few extra bucks and put that in the mod jar. I am heading to Atlanta this weekend so I may check on a couple bikes on there as well. Thanks for all the help so far guys, great forum!

·
Registered
664 Posts
The problem is what I think is a good deal no one will respond lol. To me a good deal would be $3,000 but so far no one will respond to that. Closest so far is $3,600 for that 2013 with ABS.
$3k would be a good deal. :)

In San Antonio in August last year a dealer was selling new 300's at $1000 off MSRP and I thought that was a pretty good deal, though he wasn't budging on dealer charges like assembly and stuff like that. So a 2014 w/ABS was going for $4,299 +TTL (other charges may also apply.) Even at $4,299 you'd be hard pressed to find that bike for sale used for $3k. You could probably pick it up for $3,400 or $3,500 cash in hand but I wouldn't call you back for a $3k offer. If you offered me $3k I would think you're not serious and just wasting my time. If you're trying to get it for $3k you're going to have to have some Ninja-like salesman skills to convince the seller to talk to you let alone sell the bike for that price (or wait until next year and get a 2014 with more miles.)

I wish you the best of luck and hope you manage to pull off a good deal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
$3k would be a good deal. :)

In San Antonio in August last year a dealer was selling new 300's at $1000 off MSRP and I thought that was a pretty good deal, though he wasn't budging on dealer charges like assembly and stuff like that. So a 2014 w/ABS was going for $4,299 +TTL (other charges may also apply.) Even at $4,299 you'd be hard pressed to find that bike for sale used for $3k. You could probably pick it up for $3,400 or $3,500 cash in hand but I wouldn't call you back for a $3k offer. If you offered me $3k I would think you're not serious and just wasting my time. If you're trying to get it for $3k you're going to have to have some Ninja-like salesman skills to convince the seller to talk to you let alone sell the bike for that price (or wait until next year and get a 2014 with more miles.)

I wish you the best of luck and hope you manage to pull off a good deal.
Well I appreciate your honest input! I'm always trying to get a great deal if I can. I went to a local shop in Birmingham, AL who have some left over 2014 ABS models for $4198 + TTL. Only problem was with TTL the bike came out to $6100. I've been speaking with the owner of the 2014 Ninja 300 Black ABS and he was originally at $4,000 when I spoke with him earlier (had a communication error the other day and he really wasn't at $3.6k). Now after a couple hours he is willing to take $3,500 for the bike and the other goodies. But needs a week to scrounge up some money so he can pay off the remainder on his loan for the bike. Great thing about this bike is the guy bought it new and works at the local Kawasaki dealer. So everything is tip top, full serviced and looks brand new. I'll still be looking for other deals but I'm pretty sure this will be the one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I appreciate your honest input! I'm always trying to get a great deal if I can. I went to a local shop in Birmingham, AL who have some left over 2014 ABS models for $4198 + TTL. Only problem was with TTL the bike came out to $6100. I've been speaking with the owner of the 2014 Ninja 300 Black ABS and he was originally at $4,000 when I spoke with him earlier (had a communication error the other day and he really wasn't at $3.6k). Now after a couple hours he is willing to take $3,500 for the bike and the other goodies. But needs a week to scrounge up some money so he can pay off the remainder on his loan for the bike. Great thing about this bike is the guy bought it new and works at the local Kawasaki dealer. So everything is tip top, full serviced and looks brand new. I'll still be looking for other deals but I'm pretty sure this will be the one.
yea i always ask dealers for the out the door price. i found one that added 1,000 and another only added like 200. over there selling price that being said the first one i found is still 500 cheaper than the second one so i got to decide if the 100 mile drive is worth 500 bucks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If he is including a helmet, jacket etc once you sell them you will be closer to your $3000 deal. Think of it that way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If he is including a helmet, jacket etc once you sell them you will be closer to your $3000 deal. Think of it that way.
Yeah that's the way I'm looking at it. The bike will also get a oil & filter change and routine maintenance as well before I pick it up. I'm excited to say the least. I think this week I'll go ahead and a few goodies. Probably the TST integrated light, fender eliminator, sliders and the storm grip tank pad.

·
Registered
887 Posts
A newer bike is worth more, but one year isn't a huge difference. I would get the one in better condition with more maintenance etc. Mine doesn't have fairing gaps really at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts