Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Im very New to this Motocycle thing and thinking of Buying a Ninja 300 in Black i've heard massive wraps about it and the price is spot on to what i want to spend new about $7000 right?, but my only problem is that im about 6'3 189cm and about 110kgs :mad:.. I have sat on the bike in the showroom and it feels good but im going for my learners test in january 2013 so i couldn't test ride it. Whats your opinon will it be to small? or should i spend the $4000 more and go for the ninja 650 which i struggle to justify the price...

Any Help Would be great guys...:)

·
Registered
839 Posts
We have many riders 6'0+ that ride and love it, that being said we also have some heavier set riders that have posted and had nothing but good to say as well.

The bike overall seems to work for mainly anyone.

Reactions: Big Smooth

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
A Ninja 650 is $4000 more than a Ninja 300? :eek: Bro, where do you live? (Especially considering I paid $5500 OTD for my 300, and that was full MSRP price)

I'm assuming due to the weight in kgs, you do not reside in the US so currency rate is probably different.

With that being said, you should be fine on the 300. I'm 5'11" and people say I look way too big for it, but oh well. If it's comfortable, that's all that matters.

If the 300 is all you can afford, and comfortable, go with the 300.
If the 300 is all you can afford, and not comfortable, save your pennies
If the 650 is what you can afford, and the 300 isn't comfortable, go with the 650

Both the 300 and 650 will make good beginner bikes. The 650 will definitely have more power to it, but if you ride smart, a 650 should be manageable for a beginner. Maybe not as easy as a 300, but still a good bike to learn on.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Any bike can be a beginner bike, but a larger bikes gonna get u into worse trouble faster. Just saying.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm gonna guess your in Aus. If your worried about your weight, don't. I'm 6" 150kg and this bike pulls me around with no issue.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I'm not sure how a 650 can be a beginner bike.
Ninja ZX6R: 130HP / 52Ft.Lb Torque

Ninja 650: 65HP / 47Ft.Lb Torque

Ninja 300: 40HP / 20Ft.Lb Torque

It has roughly half the horsepower as the new ZX6R Supersport because it is a 4-stroke V-Twin, not a high revving high horsepower I4. For bigger guys, people will recommend a 650 (Just like the SV650) if the lightweight class is too uncomfortable to them.

As well, for people who worry that they will get tired of the lack of power from the lightweight class, again, people would recommend the 650. <-- In this situation, it's not that people "outgrow" the lightweight 250's or 300, because there is much skill one can acquire on the bike, rather, they just want more grunt between their legs. It's easily noticed how many "like new" 250's go up for sale every year because the seller wants a bigger bike. These riders aren't ones who have mastered the bike, rather, they just want more power because the 300 becomes "boring" to them.

I take nothing away from the purpose of the 300, nor do I the 650. The 650 ride-ability is way up there. It has comfort, it has good torque so you're not constantly in need of shifting, and very reliable. I consider the 650 a "next step" towards preparing for supersports.

Reactions: Rick

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My bike is only a month old and I already want a bigger bike, but that being said I am nowhere near ready to be driving a super sport. I say get what you feel comfortable on. 300 is an awesome bike, but not the best for the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
bryce;13851[B said:
]My bike is only a month old and I already want a bigger bike, but that being said I am nowhere near ready to be driving a super sport.[/B] I say get what you feel comfortable on. 300 is an awesome bike, but not the best for the highway.
Trust me, most lightweight motorcycle owners begin feeling the same way. In fact, I've read many times the same thing - Only after a month or two. Majority tend to get bored of the power after most of a season.

And this is why the SV650 and the Ninja 650 are such a huge hit. Half the power of a supersport, but twice the torque of a lightweight.

I remember when I first started wanting to ride, people told me either get a 650 or a 250, but they told me to not buy a new 250 because they're a dime a dozen for sale used with barely any miles on them, for a fraction of the cost. 2 years ago, my buddy bought a (at the time) current-year Ninja 250 with 1500 miles on it for $2500 with an exhaust, fender eliminator and pazzo levers on it. (Rider sold it because she got scared of the bike and was quitting)

(Of course the 300 is a different story as it's a new model, but, I'm sure you'll see them pop up in the summer time for sale here and there - either the rider got scared and no longer wants to ride, or wants to upgrade)

Even if you just get your feet wet on a beginner bike, it's still better than jumping right on a supersport like I did.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
People who get scared simply don't practice enough in parking lots and small roads. U have to get comfortable with everything before you get out into traffic. I'm now just as comfortable on my bike as my truck except for I don't worry about getting pulled out in front of in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would go with the 650r if those are your two choices. I call myself 5'8" and the Ninja 300 seems to be designed for me. Most people have the opposite problem with sport bikes cause they seem to be made for taller riders. You could ride anything, even one of those 35" seat supermoto/dual sport bikes like the KLR 650. The Ninja 650r seat ht. is 31.7 inches, but the dimensions are slightly bigger than the 300 which has a seat ht. of 30.9 in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm 6'2 and a little over 100kg. You really need to sit on a bunch of bikes and decide what you want to do. I have short legs and a very long torso, my friend is also 6'2 but long legs and short torso. Like if we're sitting next to each other I've got probably over 2" on him. So the ninja 300 fits me perfectly, my knees don't go above the pocket while his does. He finds the 300 uncomfortable and I find it very comfortable. He rides a CBR250RA.

The 300 is going to be plenty if it's your first bike. Saying your fat and you need more power, most experienced riders will say you're talking nonsense. If you are hung up on that, maybe consider the CBR500 too.

Find your self a good motorcycle show (if none of your dealers have any model you're looking at for you to sit on) and give everything a try.

I want a 300 because it's a very light bike.

There's a lot of information for new riders out there. Google around looking for new rider information. I haven't seen one yet not talk smack about people thinking they need a 600cc because they're big.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts