Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a brand new Ninja 300 and I have around 960km on it. My first service is due at 1000km so I was just wondering if I should get my bike serviced before I store it away for winter or if I should just store it and then get it serviced as soon as spring rolls around. I heard that I need to change my oil and change the air filter before storing the bike for the winter. Since the days are getting colder, should I make a trip down to the dealership, get my service done, and then put the bike away?

I personally don't see the point of getting the bike serviced if it's going to go into storage for the next 4 months, but I could be wrong and I heard that the oil gets bad. Any tips on what I should do?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Personally...I don't see the point of getting the bike serviced at all.

As much as I've been able to find out, the glorified "first service", is just a service, period. They change the oil, look at the fluid levels (brake and antifreeze, there aren't any more), and just give the bike a general look to make sure anything isn't wrong. But that's really it. Unless there's something blatant (as in something that a person would recognize as probably being an issue without being a mechanic), they aren't really going to put time into finding it. Perhaps chain tension and rear tire alignment could be a little more intimidating, and it would probably be necessary at 1k miles, but it's pretty trivial so it's worth learning now rather than in 6 months.

If you do the first service yourself, even without having any background, what you'll save on that single service will pay for all the tools you would have needed for general maintenance in the bike's lifetime. I see it as a win-win...for you, at least. And here we'd be more than happy to help you out if you run into any trouble.

Oh, yeah...I forgot about the whole winter part. Buy a cheap motorcycle oil (I'd personally just buy Castrol Actevo since it's a cheap, good oil), some fuel stabilizer for the gas tank, and winterize the bike yourself. It can be as easy as just an oil change before, and if you're in the mood, after. If you want to, you can do more. But besides the oil change, the first service has nothing to do with winterizing the bike. This is a good guide on the subject.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree.Don't forget the battery.Either take it out and store indoors or hook a battery tender up if electricity is available in the place of storage.Mine is in storage with a measly 91 miles,battery on a tender and fuel topped off and stabilized with Seafoam.Still has the oil from Kawasaki in the crankcase.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought a brand new Ninja 300 and I have around 960km on it. My first service is due at 1000km so I was just wondering if I should get my bike serviced before I store it away for winter or if I should just store it and then get it serviced as soon as spring rolls around. I heard that I need to change my oil and change the air filter before storing the bike for the winter. Since the days are getting colder, should I make a trip down to the dealership, get my service done, and then put the bike away?

I personally don't see the point of getting the bike serviced if it's going to go into storage for the next 4 months, but I could be wrong and I heard that the oil gets bad. Any tips on what I should do?
Put fuel stabilizer in the fuel. Disconnect the battery and put it on charge. Lube the chain.

After winter sleep, reconnect the battery, lube chain, make sure tires are at the proper psi, go for a drive to book your first service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.