Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to put a slipon on my bike for better sound, and I think I might go for the Yoshimura R77, but I'm afraid it might become to loud. I like some volume when I rev it, but I'm afraid it might be way to noisy even under 5k RPM not giving any hard throttle, as I know some of my friends bikes became extremely loud after getting a slipon. Does anyone here have an R77 on their ninja?

Also, since I'm from Norway, I'm pretty sure that I have an O2 sensor on my bike, and I heard somewhere that even just putting on a slipon on the bike makes the engine warning light go off, and I'd be really bothered by that if I had to ride a brand new bike with the engine warning light on all the time. So is it true that a slipon can trigger the engine warning light?

·
Registered
106 Posts
All slip ons are pretty loud, thats why they are there, have you ever heard the saying "Loud Pipes Save Lives??" its so true, it helps to let others know you are there.

When it comes to slip ons and how their noise level is handled all depends on the rider, if you thrash the throttle, yea you will attract a lot of attention and probably piss a bunch of people off, and then if you ease on the throttle, you will be able to control the sound to the point where its NOT unbearable to others and NOT attracting attention to yourself.

To each his/her own when deciding on what slip on to get. As far as the O2 sensor, im pretty sure we don't have those here in America either..... i take that back, California might but thats about it

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the yoshi r77 on mine, it's not obnoxiously loud. I have the baffle in also. It doesn't bother me when I rev it to 11k rpm. It sounds so much better than stock. Stock at high rev sounds like the bike just hit puberty, high and whistling lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm not sure I buy the loud noise saving lives. There are old drivers out there who might just decide to change lanes to get away from noise since they won't likely know where it's coming from exactly. You see this all the time with police sirens. People often move over right into the path of the police. It would probably help with drivers who are already attentive and not confused by loud noises though. We have a ton of old people on the road around here.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When you're on a bike, you want people to know you are there. Most of us ride like we're invisible, extremely cautious and scanning everywhere. The stock exhaust isn't that loud. When you have someone blasting music, they're not gonna know you're there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I have Yoshi R77........ without dB killer, your neighbour is likely to kill you.......with the dB killer in, it is much more bearable for both you and said neighbour.

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"..................:rolleyes:

Deaf people drive too.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My neighbours don't mind my bike, but then I don't do laps of my street, so they hear me leave and arrive! No biggie!
I have the slip and I woulnt consider running with the silencer in!

·
Registered
145 Posts
this is a whole other conversation, but this was brought to my attention when I asked about it in my Motorcycle class....

What direction does the bike travel?..... Forward...
What direction is the pipe facing?..... Backwards...
The sound is more pronounced to the rear, not forward, where we need it to be.

What direction is the siren of an emergency vehicle facing?.... Forward, same direction of travel.

therefore, you are making it loud for the people BEHIND you, hence why we can hear emergency vehicles louder and faster than those with "loud pipes"....

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
this is a whole other conversation, but this was brought to my attention when I asked about it in my Motorcycle class....

What direction is the siren of an emergency vehicle facing?.... Forward, same direction of travel.

therefore, you are making it loud for the people BEHIND you, hence why we can hear emergency vehicles louder and faster than those with "loud pipes"....

Sound propagates in every direction all at once. Sure it'll be louder behind the bike, but it still makes a huge difference. Not to mention that sound waves bounce off of objects.

Reactions: Spacep0d

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

This is really only the case at-speed, where sound-waves get stretched a lot with the Doppler effect. There are many instances where people will hear you, such as when you're approaching a potential left-turner. Also, sound waves aren't isolated to the rear just because that's the direction the pipe points. Otherwise, we'd never hear cars approaching. ;)

It's just that *more* sound goes to the rear, but people will hear you omnidirectionally, especially at lower speeds where sound waves are not stretched too much.

Go to any MotoGP event to see this proven. As sound approaches, sound waves get tighter as they bounce off your ears. They get longer as they go away and stretch out...the Doppler Effect. However, you still very-much hear those bikes comin' because they are loud. You hear them more than a Prius due to their volume.

So, loud pipes (without being obnoxious) really do get people's attention on the street, and that can and will save your life.

Plus, when you want to get someone's attention, a BRAAP of the throttle is a good wake-up call for a dozy, texting cager. Not so impressive with a stock-exhaust. :D

Reactions: Diesel and Kairus

·
Registered
801 Posts
My car but in any case I don't rely on my pipe to save me! I just don't put my self in that position that I'm hoping someone will hear me!
But yes sound does travel foreward from the pipe aswell!!!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Nobody ever said sound doesnt travel forward mate, just more pronounced behind. Which is very true, especially when you are also travelling forward.

Thats the most important thing anyway what you have posted, keep yourself in a position that someone will hear or see you in the first place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts