Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a used 300 special edition with the abs brakes for $4,800 at my local dealer. It has 400 miles on it. I was looking to buy new for $5,500 but now I'm not sure which is the better deal. I wasn't planning on buying until June actually so if I get the used one now it'll sit for 3 months. Should I go for the used one or get it new in June? Also this would be my first bike. What should I do???

Also it'll sit for 3 months because I'm leaving to the Marine Corps boot in 3 days. So I have to act fast or hold off.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would probably hold off on buying something that won't be used for the next 3 months? Waiting never hurts the wallet

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd jump on it, your not going to find a deal like that. Plus your not paying the shipping or any set up fees on it. And if you don't get it now, I doubt it will still be available in 3 months.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Buy the used, as long as there is nothing wrong with it. Some people buy these bikes, find out they don't like em, sell em back at a loss. Hopefully that's just the case!

·
Registered
419 Posts
unless $$ is no issue i would just wait. if things would be tight having a sitting bike 3 months early that would just suck. I am in a similar position and its hard to do but im holding out for another month or so.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
If it's gunna be sitting for 3 months, buy a pair of stands with the money you save, prep the tank and everything else and you're set AND you saved a TON of cash!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Or find a used one in 3 months for even cheaper.. The market will soon be loaded with them because everyone will need more power :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm trying to think of what could happen in 400 miles to make somebody sell it. It's not enough miles to say "I don't like this bike".

Either something scared the crap out of him/her or they dropped it. A dealer would have prettied it up real good so you can't tell it's been dropped, if that were the case.

With all the little quirks these things have, I'd buy new just for the piece of mind. You will never know what issues the previous owner had. You don't even know if it was broken in healthy. Too much of a risk.

In fact, if I were you, I'd save my money and buy a 2014 in hopes that Kawasaki would resolved all the issues the 2013 model has. Heck they may put a little more umph in it to compete with the Honda 500. More colors may be an option as well for 2014.

The market will soon be loaded with them because everyone will need more power :D
And they would have wound the heck out of the 300 to come to that conclusion just before getting rid of it.
I don't want anybody else mess. If the bike is going to get dogged, it will be because I dogged it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd buy it. Save the money and get a practically new bike. In my area an SE is still rare so a used SE will be a find. The money saved buys the exhaust and you have plenty of time to install goodies.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
I think it may have been some one who was going to get the money or something like that and then it was not approved. I picked up my 2nd 300 with 280 miles on it since the guy who was going to buy it was not able to get the money for it saved almost 700.00 off msrp and its still as if I am the first owner as he never titled it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
now does that really matter ? hard or soft as long as oil change was done at proper time, isn't it ?
@ratebuster - I wasn't referring to hard or soft break in. I meant maybe the person jumped on and redlined the thing all over the highway, wheelied it across town, and did donuts in his driveway and never changed the oil.

That would be an unhealthy break in. After 400 miles of jackash riding, I would think some problems may occur that would warrant a cashout

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it looks fine and runs fine BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I picked my 300 up with 34 miles on it for $4,000 cash w/matching green helmet and Kawasaki jacket. Guy rode it home and it hurt his back to much to ride it he said.

You probably will regret it if you end up spending more money later down the road.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could pay for a mechanic to check out the bike and do the first service early, but I think it would be a waste of cash on a bike that new. I don't know if it's possible yet, but with a data recorder a dealer should be able to pull engine specs. For example how many hours and if it has had been ridden past redline during the brake-in. Personally I would ask an experienced rider with good mechanical abilities to test ride the bike for you, if your really serious about the bike. If you can find any faults then try to use that as leverage on the purchase price. A used fender eliminator and tank pad are worth about $40 so I wouldn't consider that as an advantage.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. You're going to be pretty damn busy. Basic, SOI, AIT. What is your MOS? How long is AIT going to last? What if you get stationed across the country, you're going to have to ship the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts