Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I'm very good with my automotive machines, but i've been a little neglectful to the 300.

Purchased it brand new in NY and put about 400 miles on it before I moved to florida two months ago...

...since moving, I now have 1543 miles on it and have yet to do the 600 mi service. It's going to be done this week no matter what, but I wanted to know if there are any components that may need to really be looked at now considering the near thousand miles of neglect??

I know, i suck, but any tips would be appreciated!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Well they want you to do it at 600 as the oil filter can get clogged. Id cut it open and see if its plugged if it is then you have been starving it of oil

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Its easier to work on than a car in my opinion, and I can do just about anything to a car as long as major custom fabrication is not required..

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
You don't need to do this but I take off the lower right faring above the drain plug. Also another member I for get but he had the good idea of putting foil over your pipe to keep the oil from dripping on them after taking off the oil filter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would worry if during all those miles I had really wrung it out, again and again.

If the oil is still fairly clean, and filter unclogged and [insert here a dozen other things that much more mechanically-experienced members would point out], and the bike starts and runs as new, then it has been very good to you and you probably owe it a soundly-maintained future as payback. :)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
No. Change the oil and ride it. I waited till 1000-1100 miles iirc. A few hundred miles won't matter at all. It is fine. The oil filter is huge comparatively. I'm quite sure most 300s could be ridden for 10,000 miles under normal use and then have an oil change and be perfectly fine. Don't sweat it. These bikes lead a charmed existence, even being revved.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Do you guys do your own servicing?
I do all my "in-between" servicing, I will still take it to the dealer whilst my warranty period is active to have it serviced by them (even though I have already done so) to ensure that my warranty is kept valid.

As soon as that is up, will never be getting anything done by the dealer, will be doing it all at home.

Servicing bikes is pretty easy and relatively painless. Fluids, filters, chain play check and lube and she all good. And from time to time a new spark plug.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Normally I'm very good with my automotive machines, but i've been a little neglectful to the 300.

Purchased it brand new in NY and put about 400 miles on it before I moved to florida two months ago...

...since moving, I now have 1543 miles on it and have yet to do the 600 mi service. It's going to be done this week no matter what, but I wanted to know if there are any components that may need to really be looked at now considering the near thousand miles of neglect??

I know, i suck, but any tips would be appreciated!
You should be fine, unless you have been red lining the bike often. Remember that the 600 mile service is a conservative number to protect Kawasaki. Don't sweat it, you should be okay.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input everyone, i definitely feel more at ease. Finally took it in today though. $104 bucks. smh. I'll definitely be doing my own service from this point on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts