Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had the RF-1100 before (wrecked it in an accident) and I'm looking to get another Shoei.

A friend of mine from NC says the RF-1200 is worth the extra price, every penny. But is it really?

Anyone here have any experiences with both? Trying to see if I should justify the cost.

To me, the RF-1100 was compact (compared to my Bell Star Spirit) and lightweight, so those aren't huge selling points for me. That's what my friend said, that it's so light and small.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not sure if this will really help you, but I went from an rf1000 to the rf1200 and noticed a huge difference.

Go to revzilla and watch the general video going over the rf1200 if you haven't. It compares it to the 1100.

If you have already seen it, then all I can to say is, It's a damn nice helmet.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the 1200 comes with a pinlock insert and shield, so that's $100 right there.
That's a good point. That brings the difference to $100...so I guess I might pull the trigger on the 1200.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was going to get the rf-1100 in january but I picked up the rf-1200 mainly for the pinlock feature. It really works and the visor doesnt fog up unless ive been riding for hours in cold weather or weather under 30f

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was going to get the rf-1100 in january but I picked up the rf-1200 mainly for the pinlock feature. It really works and the visor doesnt fog up unless ive been riding for hours in cold weather or weather under 30f
I agree. That pinlock insert really does works well.
It says not to use at night, can either of you comment on night use?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've never had a problem with it at night. Don't know why it would say that.

Reactions: Vladius

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Go try one on, then you can decide. Pinlock is really awesome by the way. I can't wait for the transitions visor.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go try one on, then you can decide. Pinlock is really awesome by the way. I can't wait for the transitions visor.
It's .12 of a LB lighter...double I'll be able to tell that. I already know what an RF-1100 feels like...it seems like most of the difference (if any) that I would be able to detect are with noise and the pin lock feature...which I can't try unless I'm on a bike...so need to buy it first lol.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's .12 of a LB lighter...double I'll be able to tell that. I already know what an RF-1100 feels like...it seems like most of the difference (if any) that I would be able to detect are with noise and the pin lock feature...which I can't try unless I'm on a bike...so need to buy it first lol.
cycle gear has a 7 day return policy on helmets so you could always buy it and return it if you feel its not worth the extra $100.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
See the video at Revzilla for the differences. There are more than a few differences. That's why I bought my RF1200 from them. The Dominance model also had a color that worked well for my green SE.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use it at night all the time. Shit, once I forgot to bring my clear pinlock visor, and had to ride home with my dark smoke visor (and left the clear pin lock insert in)... and had to ride with it down because I was on the highway.

With the dark smoke down at night, I'm quite sure I ran over more small bumps and stupid little shit than I usually do, but I made it home safely. Wouldn't make a habit of it, though.

Point is, the clear pinlock shield *with* the pinlock insert in, is absolutely fine at night. You get a little bit of glare, but you stop noticing it after a minute or two. They just say that so they can't be sued or get in trouble for letting in slightly too little light.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See the video at Revzilla for the differences. There are more than a few differences. That's why I bought my RF1200 from them. The Dominance model also had a color that worked well for my green SE.
I've seen the videos. That's how I know the weight difference.

The pin lock makes it less of a difference in price, so I'll be getting an RF-1200 in the next few weeks once I can pony up the cash money. The red/white/blue dominance. :woohoo2_smilie:

My Bell Star is just too big and lets too much air in near my jaw bone...so my ears hurt on the cold nights. I have to resort to wearing a hoody under my helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I've got 2 identical Shoei Ethereal Qwest helmets. One has a full smoked tinted visor and the other has a clear visor with a clear pinlock insert. The smoked one I use for very bright days and the clear one for cloudy days and at night time. I've had not issues with the pinlock insert. If it was tinted, I would probably find it a bit darker to see though, of course, at night time.

The pinlock insert is really excellent at "eliminating the fogging" as it says in this article. I also haven't really had any distortion issues. It actually works well and for me, I've found it worth paying the extra money for!...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/396/12915/Motorcycle-Article/Shoei-CW-1-Pinlock-Visor-Review.aspx

Shoei FTW!...:emot-thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
LOL someone doesnt like switching shields.........

I have the RF-1100 Diabolic Feud. Beautiful helmets. Mine came with a pinlock shield, but not the insert.

Shoei FTW.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
LOL someone doesnt like switching shields.........

I have the RF-1100 Diabolic Feud. Beautiful helmets. Mine came with a pinlock shield, but not the insert.

Shoei FTW.
LOL! Too much hard work!...And you know the saying, "Too much hard work never killed anyone!" Though I wouldn't want to be the first!...:D

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Geez wish I could have two identical Shoei's lol!

So these pinlocks work ok yeah? Getting to that time of the year Tzar........chilly in the mornings. :emot-coffee:

Only gonna get worse too. Seeing as I ride everyday, gotta invest in one of these methinks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts