Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So i've decided to make a move and I'm going to be shipping my motorcycle. I ultimately went through freightcenter.com and got connected with STI Delivers (they are the ones who will actually be shipping the bike via the broker).

I wanted to know if anybody's ever used their services before and, if so, can give me a heads up on what to expect. I'm hoping to have a smooth process and not have to worry about any headaches and/or stolen bikes :eek:

Of course, if you have another mover you used that you trust, definitely let me know!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought mine through a dealer... is this just a way to bypass the dealer? and your going to assemble it yourself? sounds interesting!
What was the final price?

·
Registered
923 Posts
From what I've seen on assembling the Ninja, it's just putting on the windscreen and mirrors. Everything else is assembled on this bike. ...i think. I mean I'm pretty sure, or it's totally disassembled and you're screwed. :thumbdown: but almost positive just mirrors and windshield need be applied:thumbup:..... Probably.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I think I may have been a little confusing on my post lol...

I already bought the bike months ago but am moving from NY to Ft Lauderdale. I'm utilizing a mover that apparently specializes in motorcycle shipping (among other things) to handle the work. I just wanted to know if anybody has any movers they know of or suggest before I drop the stupid money for the process.

$680 :(

·
Registered
923 Posts
OH, lol... Then ignore what I just said. You're bike better arrive to your door assembled! LOL.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
257 Posts
How far is the bike going? I recall I was quoted $700 to ship a bike from Michigan to Seattle Wa. Might be there for a year and was looking at my options.

Even thought about looking into shipping my car in something like a sea container and just get a cheap beater bike while I'm there. Though, if I got a container I'm sure I could fit both!

How are you moving? If you're using a moving service with a big truck maybe it will have room? Though their insurance may say NOOOOOOOO but that wouldn't make sense, how would they move something like a lawn mower and other such stuff?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anymore insight on motorcycle shipping companies? I'm in the same boat, have my bike, need to get it from Cali to Albuquerque, NM for school. Looking for reputable shipping services...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm currently looking as well. I have a few options so far. I'm having a tough time dealing with brokers. Had one guy call me who actually was a truck company, not a broker. Best price so far. Colorado to Arizona, $295. The bad thing is its on an open car hauler, but they let their drivers make some extra $$ by putting a motorcycle or two in between cars. I was thinking it wouldn't be too bad open just because it's a relatively short drive (800 miles). I just don't want to spend $550+ for shipping. Would love to hear anyone else's experience with a shipper of they have any.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would stay away from car haulers as they are dirty and unless he is driving straight to your house he will be riding your bike on and off the trailer a couple of times and re strapping it every time.
Consider a local moving co. Maybe you can catch one of their trucks on the way home.
You can also post an ad at Uship,maybe you will get lucky and get Jennifer.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm currently looking as well. I have a few options so far. I'm having a tough time dealing with brokers. Had one guy call me who actually was a truck company, not a broker. Best price so far. Colorado to Arizona, $295. The bad thing is its on an open car hauler, but they let their drivers make some extra $$ by putting a motorcycle or two in between cars. I was thinking it wouldn't be too bad open just because it's a relatively short drive (800 miles). I just don't want to spend $550+ for shipping. Would love to hear anyone else's experience with a shipper of they have any.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Well I can say that my experience with STI was without issue and pretty straightforward. Overall, I had a great experience.

I chose not to u-haul it because it was way too expensive to get a truck that I could load up the bike in and drive down to Florida. I was going to need to put my car in tow as well and $1600 and change was what I was looking at JUST for the truck and trailer package! (not including the cost of gas and tolls plus occasional meals on the road)

It all depends on what your budget and situation is. For me, driving the car down and shipping it was just cheaper. Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$1600 for a U-haul and trailer? something is not right,they rent for way less than that.
I tried to find the smallest truck that would tow a car with, and that was the best I could get. That's NY for ya. I love my hometown, but freaking hell it's expensive... :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
I tried to find the smallest truck that would tow a car with, and that was the best I could get. That's NY for ya. I love my hometown, but freaking hell it's expensive... :(
Did you ask for a quote for tomorrow or a couple of weeks down the road?
It makes a big difference. Also,some dealers don't like to see their vehicles go out of town,especially car trailers as they won't get another one until someone drops one off and that could be a long time so they tend to try to keep their equipment local.
A 17' uhaul and trailer should cost approx $70-$80 a day. I would call the 800 number or try penske.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you ask for a quote for tomorrow or a couple of weeks down the road?
It makes a big difference. Also,some dealers don't like to see their vehicles go out of town,especially car trailers as they won't get another one until someone drops one off and that could be a long time so they tend to try to keep their equipment local.
A 17' uhaul and trailer should cost approx $70-$80 a day. I would call the 800 number or try penske.
nah that was definitely a quote done in advance by two weeks. But, like I said, The move is done and over with. Just putting my experience out there for anyone else looking to examine their options

1 - 20 of 20 Posts