Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I plan on purchasing my Ninja 300 in CA and then shortly after that, shipping it to Washington DC.

Obviously this is a very long trip and I had some concerns.

The best deal i've been offered is $550 for an open transport.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use an open transport?

I feel like the bike should be fine, right?

Thank you,
Dom

·
Registered
295 Posts
I honestly think you would be able to score a better price on a Ninja 300 around D.C than you will be able to get in California. That is unless you plan to return to CA at some point and you need all the extra emissions stuff they add to the bike.

$550 doesn't sound like a bad deal cross country, I would look at having a professional motorcycle mover do the job though. They should be bonded and insured just in case anything happens.

In my own experiance I've had my stuff damaged every time I've used a moving company. Though I've never shipped a motorcycle before.... They will try to snake their way out of paying, stop returning phone calls.. etc. Just use someone reputable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly think you would be able to score a better price on a Ninja 300 around D.C than you will be able to get in California. That is unless you plan to return to CA at some point and you need all the extra emissions stuff they add to the bike.

$550 doesn't sound like a bad deal cross country, I would look at having a professional motorcycle mover do the job though. They should be bonded and insured just in case anything happens.

In my own experiance I've had my stuff damaged every time I've used a moving company. Though I've never shipped a motorcycle before.... They will try to snake their way out of paying, stop returning phone calls.. etc. Just use someone reputable.
You got it right about moving back to CA. I am just going to college in DC for thus summer and one more school year after this summer. After i'm done with college I plan on moving back to CA.

So I need the Ninja 300 that has the CA emission specs.

Can I buy one of those in DC though?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would buy in dc...who knows if you will still want a ninja 300 in 2 years. you can always sell it before you move and change bikes when you move back to cali :)
I'm done with college may 2014 so it would only be one year, and I plan on keeping this bike for way more than one year :/

And there's a whole bunch of shenanigans I have to go through in order to buy a bike in DC since I am a CA resident I think. Like getting a DC drivers license.

Correct me if i'm wrong :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm done with college may 2014 so it would only be one year, and I plan on keeping this bike for way more than one year :/

And there's a whole bunch of shenanigans I have to go through in order to buy a bike in DC since I am a CA resident I think. Like getting a DC drivers license.

You don't need to have a local drivers license to purchase a motorcycle out of state. But you also wouldn't be able to get a Ninja 300 with all the CA standard equipment installed in DC unless it was special ordered.

That said... I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear but...

If you take a new Ninja 300 across the U.S. park it on a college campus for a year and then ship it back home...That bike is likely going to have a whole lot of dings, dents and "character". College campuses tend to be a haven for irresponsible people who don't think twice about the dents they put in another students vehicles.

So in this instance I'd suggest maybe buying a used 250/600 in D.C. and then reselling or trading it in when it's time to move home to CA. You'd be saving near $1000 in shipping let alone repair costs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need to have a local drivers license to purchase a motorcycle out of state. But you also wouldn't be able to get a Ninja 300 with all the CA standard equipment installed in DC unless it was special ordered.

That said... I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear but...

If you take a new Ninja 300 across the U.S. park it on a college campus for a year and then ship it back home...That bike is likely going to have a whole lot of dings, dents and "character". College campuses tend to be a haven for irresponsible people who don't think twice about the dents they put in another students vehicles.

So in this instance I'd suggest maybe buying a used 250/600 in D.C. and then reselling or trading it in when it's time to move home to CA. You'd be saving near $1000 in shipping let alone repair costs.
I understand where you are coming from but I am confident that it wouldn't get damaged while on campus. There are many designated places I could park it so that it is safe.

What i'm worried about is the possible damage from an open transport across country.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one of my bikes shipped from MA to GA. The guys who packaged it up used a strap over the seat and ruined the leather, They also scratched the gas tank. Never saw any money for that.
Hmmm :( so I should make sure a pre and post inspection is included?

If there is damage upon delivery then I won't pay the full amount?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was talking to a long time rider this past weekend and he is in california. he buys all his bikes out of state, in places where he has family. they are then registered in that state, brings them to cali and as long as it has 7500 miles on it it doesnt need california emissions.

basically he goes to texas meets his daughter at the dealership, gives here the cash she registers it, he comes home to cali, puts 7500 miles on it and then can register it here. so if you think you will put on 7500 miles buy the bike in DC. off course you should double check what i'm saying as it's all heresay.... :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talking to a long time rider this past weekend and he is in california. he buys all his bikes out of state, in places where he has family. they are then registered in that state, brings them to cali and as long as it has 7500 miles on it it doesnt need california emissions.

basically he goes to texas meets his daughter at the dealership, gives here the cash she registers it, he comes home to cali, puts 7500 miles on it and then can register it here. so if you think you will put on 7500 miles buy the bike in DC. off course you should double check what i'm saying as it's all heresay.... :D
That does sounds right though. From what i've been reading I think that is a way around it. hmmmmm

I don't have any family in DC though?

·
Registered
349 Posts

True!

·
Registered
419 Posts

I am in a similar situation. I have lived in Oregon and have been an Oregon resident for 10 years. Last August I came to PA and will be here until this September. In order for me to purchase a bike here (which I plan on shipping back to Oregon) I had to have a PA drivers license to Tag it with PA plates. I could have had it tagged with Oregon plates but that would require me to go into an Oregon DMV in person to do so, which was not possible. The easiest solution was to forfeit my Oregon Driver's license, get my PA license/moto endorsement and Tag the bike here in PA. Once I go back to Oregon I will forfeit my PA license for an Oregon one and re-tag the bike with Oregon plates. I wish I could have decided to buy a bike before I left Oregon, I wouldn't have had to pay tax on it or go through all the Driver's license crap.

As far as shipping goes, $550 is a steal. I've seen quotes closer to $800 for when I move back. As someone already mentioned, go with a reputable, bonded and insured company.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are you going to be a resident of DC? If so: from the DMV website

Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am in a similar situation. I have lived in Oregon and have been an Oregon resident for 10 years. Last August I came to PA and will be here until this September. In order for me to purchase a bike here (which I plan on shipping back to Oregon) I had to have a PA drivers license to Tag it with PA plates. I could have had it tagged with Oregon plates but that would require me to go into an Oregon DMV in person to do so, which was not possible. The easiest solution was to forfeit my Oregon Driver's license, get my PA license/moto endorsement and Tag the bike here in PA. Once I go back to Oregon I will forfeit my PA license for an Oregon one and re-tag the bike with Oregon plates. I wish I could have decided to buy a bike before I left Oregon, I wouldn't have had to pay tax on it or go through all the Driver's license crap.

As far as shipping goes, $550 is a steal. I've seen quotes closer to $800 for when I move back. As someone already mentioned, go with a reputable, bonded and insured company.
Are you going to be a resident of DC? If so: from the DMV website

Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.
"I could have had it tagged with Oregon plates but that would require me to go into an Oregon DMV in person to do so, which was not possible."

I will be in CA for a bit. So could I go to the CA DMV and ask for them to tag my plates as CA plates but let me buy the bike in DC?

And i'm already from CA. I just am in DC for college. So I don't think that applies to me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll just go to the DMV in CA to get my motorcycle license and talk to them about this. If the best thing to do is buy it in CA and ship it then i'll do that. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
561 Posts
what I meant in my post was that since you are moving to DC buy the bike there and register it there, by the time you come back to cali you will have 7500 miles on it and no need for cali emissions. of course you will have the issue of getting it back to cali. maybe the money you save you can do the transport.... or ride it of course.... :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hmmm :( so I should make sure a pre and post inspection is included?

If there is damage upon delivery then I won't pay the full amount?
I would take a video perhaps, and a bunch of pictures.
My "inspection" was filled out on a paper with pen marks. My gas tank had been bent in on the sides for a cafe racer look and they marked it as a dent on the picture and that was all they needed to say they weren't paying for the paint job.
They also said there was nothing wrong with the seat, "leather just looks like that".

·
Registered
419 Posts
"I could have had it tagged with Oregon plates but that would require me to go into an Oregon DMV in person to do so, which was not possible."

I will be in CA for a bit. So could I go to the CA DMV and ask for them to tag my plates as CA plates but let me buy the bike in DC?

And i'm already from CA. I just am in DC for college. So I don't think that applies to me
I think it might be a huge pain in the ass to buy the bike in DC and try to put CA tags on it. CA will probably want to inspect/emissions it as well. If I were you just go into a local Kawi dealer in DC and ask a salesperson how it would work. As long as the dealer is not complete idiots they should be able to point you in the right direction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts