Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I'm new to the bike world. But something that I have been encountering when I'm riding is when I'm slowing down and downshifting to a point where I make a stop and go. My bike sometimes doesn't want to shift to first. Like if I press down I don't feel the click to go into first. It's like stuck in second not even in neutral.

Other times if I'm taking off and shift from 1st to second, while I'm pulling up. It shift to neutral, but not sure if that's just my error for not pulling hi enough to get out of or pass neutral into second. I wonder if theirs an adjustment for that.

Has anyone encounter something similar like this?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Some other people have been having some shifting issues with the bike, but they all seem to either be related to the rider's particular shifting motion or to an apparent break-in period for the transmission. How many miles do you have on the bike?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have that same issue, I attest it partly to that safety thing the 300 has where from a stop you can shift up to second, only neutral or 1'st..

Doing a stop and go, sometimes your goign to slow for the computer to sense that your moving, or the computer just is too slow to realize it, and stops you from gogin to second, shifting you then to neutral..

But shift firmly and that will help a lot and avoid shifting into second at too low of speeds/rpm's

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have to same issue and I don't know what to think of it.. It happens almost randomly for me. I was slowing down to do a right on red and was about to stop but I saw the chance to go so I took it and at that same moment a truck decided to bust a u-turn in the opposite of the lane I was entering. I freaked, tried to throw it into second and what did it do? It went straight to neutral. Luckily he heard the high revs and stopped.. I was Sweating bullets.. Not doing that again

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
My buddy has the issue down shifting, the issue you mention with up shifting into neutral has to do with poor shifting..

When my buddy is slowing to a stop and he might be in second when he comes to a complete stop and it wont let him shift out of second. I know he should be in first coming to a shop but he is a new rider so its still all new to him..

·
Registered
958 Posts
On one extreme if you were to stop any bike and have it in 6th gear, you will likely not get it into 1st without some gear grinding, needing to take off in 2nd or start to take off in 3rd. This is one reason you need to downshift so that by the time you stop you are in 2nd gear for example or better yet 1st gear...if possible. It is hard to shift gears when the bike is not moving. (If you need to stop in a hurry, that's different). Basically, I am usually in 1st gear when I stop...prepared to move off again if need be or to shift up to N if I have to sit for a long light. On new bikes, before the clutch gets broken in, it is often harder to shift too. After the 600 mi. oil change, it should be a lot easier. I doubt anything is wrong with your bike.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I can easily shift from 6th to 1st at a dead stop... I just happened to figure this out one day, not sure how I even did it or what made me try it...

My trick, if its a trick at all.. Say I am at a dead stop in 6th and need to get 1st.. If I down shift and it doesnt work, all I do it rev up the engine a little and let out the clutch enough to grab and let the bike move an inch or two, then clutch in and down shift.. It will easily down shift a gear or two.. Then repeat until I get to first..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sometimes I'll down shift and get placed in to neutral out of nowhere. When that happens it gets stuck and for some reason i can't get into first. All I do is rev te engine a tad and press down into first an it works. Annoying but I figured out how to resolve that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I sometimes can't find 1st gear or neutral when stopped at a light. I had this problem on my previous bike as well though so I'm sure it's rider error for me. I'm probably not downshifting soon enough when approaching a stop.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some other people have been having some shifting issues with the bike, but they all seem to either be related to the rider's particular shifting motion or to an apparent break-in period for the transmission. How many miles do you have on the bike?
I only have 200 miles on it. I do shift up or down hard and sometimes it doesn't want shift into 1st. So I think it's because it needs to break in alil more like others are saying about changing the oil at 600 once it's broken we'll see how it turns out.

I'm going to also try to rev it a lil when I want to shift from 2nd to 1st so it won't stop at neutral.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can easily shift from 6th to 1st at a dead stop... I just happened to figure this out one day, not sure how I even did it or what made me try it...

My trick, if its a trick at all.. Say I am at a dead stop in 6th and need to get 1st.. If I down shift and it doesnt work, all I do it rev up the engine a little and let out the clutch enough to grab and let the bike move an inch or two, then clutch in and down shift.. It will easily down shift a gear or two.. Then repeat until I get to first..
:rolleyes:
Not a trick that's the same with every bike. You don't need to blip the throttle either as you don't have to let the clutch grab enough to kill the engine.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
today I had the same problem. I came home and coasted into my driveway. I held the clutch and stepped on the brake. I was probably in second or third gear. I came to a stop. The clutch was fully in. I tried to shift into first BUT felt no click. I downshifted about 10 times and didn't hit first. I also couldn't find neutral.

I released the clutch and the bike stalled (of course). I then started the engine again while holding in the clutch and it started fine. I turned it off and backed it into my driveway. (about 7 yrds). It then started it again and was able to find first and neutral.....HOW ODD......

·
Registered
22 Posts
^^ Don't just kick your gears hard if they don't shift down. You need to release the clutch just a little bit, enough to feel that the bike is about to start moving and then clench it again. Then try down shifting again. I had the same issue sometimes with my first bike but figured this out.

·
Banned
57 Posts
selecting first gear

Hey guys i am from Australia and i bought a Ebony 300 ninja on saturday, I am have also having some issues with the gearbox, i have no problems at all up shifting and down shifting and im loving the slipper clutch there a top thing to have but the problem im having is once i have stopped at lights or even when i am just about to go for a ride when i try to select 1st from neutral i have trouble, i am a fairly experienced rider and have been riding KTM 300s and ktm 450s for years. If i try and select 1st it feels like it is about to select it but it just doesn't quite grab the gear then the neutral light just comes back on, sometimes it will select the gear but often not, if i hold my foot down on the gear shifter then let the clutch out it select, this is a bit annoying sitting at traffic lights and cars are behind you and i am struggling to get the bike to select first.
The bike has only got 102kms on the clock

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.