Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O dropped my bike earlier this year, but had not ridden it at all since. Took it out for a drive today to make sure she'll be ready for riding season and the shifter won't go back down to it's relaxed position and during the drive I kicked it back down to see if I could into third and I wasn't too sure if it did please. The shifter stays stuck up once I upshift and stays there. Is there anything that could be the culprit?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Something is bent and binding. Look closely at the linkage mechanism. Probably start disassembling it and looking for the issue. Plan to clean and lube it when you put it back together.

Did the footpeg mount get twisted? They are known to pull out of the frame in a crash.

Post a photo of the area if you can't find the problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd suspect the shift lever is bent inwards and hitting the threaded pushrod. I had some neighbourhood kids knock over my Honda one year and had to bend the shift lever back straight so it wouldn't hit the pushrod.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you really did it dirty, there may be a broken spring or shifting mechanism inside the transmission. But yeah, before assuming the worst, take off the entire shift linkage. Maybe literally 2 bolts. If you can manipulate the shift shaft with the linkage not bolted onto the rearset, then it's just the linkage and itll be a cheap fix.

However, my buddy had a grom last year and dumped it going slow, but it was in gear when he went down, and he also went down the left side. It forced the shifter to move when the clutch was out and engine engaged, and damaged his transmission, never shifted the same ever again. So if you're unlucky, the repair could total the bike. Trans work is no joke.

But, again, don't assume the worst without doing some troubleshooting. After you get the shift linkage assy off the bike, try and rotate the shift rod. It is tight, it's hard to turn without a linkage, so don't go grabbing it with pliers, you'll damage the splines. Put a rag on it and grab with pliers, or use the clamp block from the linkage to try turning it.

Good luck. If it turns and clicks back and forth, your repair is easy.
-Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
O dropped my bike earlier this year, but had not ridden it at all since. Took it out for a drive today to make sure she'll be ready for riding season and the shifter won't go back down to it's relaxed position and during the drive I kicked it back down to see if I could into third and I wasn't too sure if it did please. The shifter stays stuck up once I upshift and stays there. Is there anything that could be the culprit?
[/QUOT
Something is bent and binding. Look closely at the linkage mechanism. Probably start disassembling it and looking for the issue. Plan to clean and lube it when you put it back together.

Did the footpeg mount get twisted? They are known to pull out of the frame in a crash.

Post a photo of the area if you can't find the problem.
It happened yo me once, I had to renové the clutch cover and disc pack to reach Lever-comp-Change shaft.
A simple movement and “click “ right it back in position.
You’ll need clutch cover gasket.
A clutch drum holder.
Remembre never but never use a gasket maker silicona on motorcycle Engine ( buy or make your self gasket)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had some neighbourhood kids knock over my Honda one year and had to bend the shift lever back straight so it wouldn't hit the pushrod.
I borrowed a claw hammer and "adjusted" it (with the claw end, I'm not a maniac!) and it's held up fine for the probably 5 years since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts