Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. started off as a good second day of owning the bike, until it tipped over when putting the kickstand down on slightly bumpy pavement.
So as as result of this, very slight fairing damage, like 4 small scratches, barely noticeable A piece of my pedal next to the shift lever came off, from underneath. But it looked like just the cosmetic piece. Then the big part is the shift lever itself bent inward.. Cant undo it for the life of me, tried for a while today.. Cant even take off the lever! -_- Any tips? Any links to a website with OEM lever, I cant seem to find one...

Thanks in advanced guys!
Pretty bummed, first bike even =/

-Mike

ps. added a picture its bent in towards the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe try placing a socket over the end of the shift lever, use the wrench or just a socket extension to bend it back into shape?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Maybe use some heat. If its anything liek the bar ends there is probably a LOAD of locktite in there.... Use a socket attachment if you have one, more torque.

You may wanna invest in some rear spools and faring guards xD no offence

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just did the same myself. I removed the part and ordered a new one. You need the right size hex wrench. It's on there with blue Loctite so you've gotta put some power into it to get it loose. Then undo the (opposite thread) nut with a size 10 wrench so you can unscrew it from the adjustment rod(see this thread video http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/9-ninja-300-parts-accessories/388-2013-ninja-300-gear-shift-lever-adjustment-motogp-conversion.html ). The ball joint is part of the shift lever and will not come off.

I probably could bend it back enough to ride again, but I didn't want to mess something up and my tools are inadequate.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If your able to bend it let us know how.. The previous owner of my wifes 250R dropped the bike and he lever looks just like that, I tried my hardest to bend it but was worried about breaking it..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright! Just bent it back, ended up being able to take off the lever.. put it in a vice and hammered it, no damage done to the lever aside from when it dropped. Will be ordering a new one cause the paint on it was scuffed. Don't want it to rust. Works well, shifts fine. Cant even notice it unless you see the paint =p

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
aww dude, shoulda used wood shims and a rubber hammer to bent it back. Probably ould have used pliers with wood shims too. Ah well

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I need to buy a vice, that is on thing I DONT have.. I have made it all my life without ever needing one until now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aww dude, shoulda used wood shims and a rubber hammer to bent it back. Probably ould have used pliers with wood shims too. Ah well
Covered the part I was hitting with a rag, it did no additional damage. The vice did nothing also. Maybe I was lucky idk! haha

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
A silver rattle can will be cheaper than the lever.. If you buy a new lever I am just guessing it wont be cheap.. You can start saving for aftermarket rear sets :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Noooo a dropped 300!!! I wonder if swing arm sliders would push the low end up enough to clear the pegs. I ordered some extended ones on eBay for like $14 shipped. I need frame sliders now but refuse to pay $300.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A silver rattle can will be cheaper than the lever.. If you buy a new lever I am just guessing it wont be cheap.. You can start saving for aftermarket rear sets :)
~$50

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
vices are super useful. Used to use my dad's to crush toy cars to recreate horrific car crashes :D...and then I grew up and discovered their uses in wood/metal work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts