Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I still don't have my 300 as I am waiting for my car to be sold so I have been riding my dad's FZ6R for practice.

Today was a really great day of riding, rode for about 3 hours so not too long but still a good ride. I was on my way down my road and then turned into my driveway but realized that I came into the middle of the driveway instead of the far right. I go to the far right because I have to turn the bike around and back it up into the garage.

So once I saw I was in the middle I decided I need to correct so I quickly turned the handlebars to the right and then I felt the bike start tipping and I could not stop it, so I caught the bike but could not lift it up so I set it down and it got a small scrape on the handlebar end and a bit on the mirror plastic.

Fairing is perfectly fine as well as everything else, but now the bike is in the garage and I don't know how I should tell my dad lol. It is a common rookie mistake but it is also a 2012 bike that we just bought the other day that only has 90 miles on it which could make it very much harder to be okay with a typical mistake.

What do you guys think I should do?

EDIT: I am going to tell him, as I own up to my mistakes, but I was just curious on how you guys thought I should go about it. I have a general idea but I wanted to let the forum give me their input because you could have very easily been in a similar situation with a friend's bike or something else.

EDIT2: Lots of people aren't actually reading the posts so I'll let you know here that I already told him haha. Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well id just not tell him and find out if he even notices lol anddddd be extra nice to him in case he does somehow find out

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally I would just tell him what happened and that ur willing to man up to ur mistake. I think it would be much worse for him to find out on his own that his bike is damaged (even slightly). Just think in the end that it would be better to tell him and keep it secret and hope he does not notice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Since your dad rides I'm sure he knows this happens, I would be honest and tell him. Better to be honest than for him to find out himself and think you were trying to keep it from him which is as bad as lying about it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably should have worded this better lol, I am going to tell him, I have no problem owning up to my mistakes, which is why I can post it up on here without feeling like I am gonna hurt my pride or anything. I was just getting input from you guys that could have been in a similar case. I think I already know how to tell him, but I just wanted to see what the forum thought.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
So, I still don't have my 300 as I am waiting for my car to be sold so I have been riding my dad's FZ6R for practice.

Today was a really great day of riding, rode for about 3 hours so not too long but still a good ride. I was on my way down my road and then turned into my driveway but realized that I came into the middle of the driveway instead of the far right. I go to the far right because I have to turn the bike around and back it up into the garage.

So once I saw I was in the middle I decided I need to correct so I quickly turned the handlebars to the right and then I felt the bike start tipping and I could not stop it, so I caught the bike but could not lift it up so I set it down and it got a small scrape on the handlebar end and a bit on the mirror plastic.

Fairing is perfectly fine as well as everything else, but now the bike is in the garage and I don't know how I should tell my dad lol. It is a common rookie mistake but it is also a 2012 bike that we just bought the other day that only has 90 miles on it which could make it very much harder to be okay with a typical mistake.

What do you guys think I should do?
Id look up the price to fix all the damage and tell him as you give him the money to fix it. But nice save

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I did find some carbon fiber turning signal integrated mirrors that he could get if he wants new mirrors lol. I will offer him those as a constellation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Id look up the price to fix all the damage and tell him as you give him the money to fix it. But nice save
haha good constellation, thought about that too, but thanks for recognizing my save from a fail lol. I was so pissed at myself because it was absolutely dumb, but that is what practicing is for. Could have been way worse if it just slammed on the ground.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, told him and he is pissed off and said I'm not riding till I get my bike. I said that I didn't drop it and I would pay to replace it but all he said was: "I told you not to scratch my bike!" so yeah. That is done. >.<

Understanding just isn't his thing regardless of severity. Oh well.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Well, told him and he is pissed off and said I'm not riding till I get my bike. I said that I didn't drop it and I would pay to replace it but all he said was: "I told you not to scratch my bike!" so yeah. That is done. >.<

Understanding just isn't his thing regardless of severity. Oh well.
Id be piss also I think once he calms down he will be more understanding id still get it fix so he cant hold it over your head.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I would be upset too, don't get me wrong it sucks, but just the fact that he can't acknowledge someone's apology, best attempt to prevent something, or my attempt to help the situation afterward is what bothers me. But yeah I'll just wait it out. I appreciate the help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
561 Posts
in all honesty you did the right thing. he has the right to be upset apology or not as we all would be. now you should just order the parts you messed up and give him the confirmation that the parts are on order and then you did your part.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, as you know at slow speeds, you are much more likely to drop the bike from loss of balance due to lack of inertia from the wheels turning faster which tends to keep the bike up and straight. Often it is due to hitting the front brakes with the bike turned a bit. If the bike starts to fall to the inside, a quick blip of the throttle will upright it too although that seems counter-intuitive and most people hit the brakes which makes it worse. Stalling a bike at slow speeds with the bike turned, along with too much throttle or a jerky clutch engagement is often enough for newer riders to lose control. Eventually, clutch, brake, throttle, balance, reactions become an extension of you just like walking and this won't happen. Almost everyone drops a bike or two before they get the full hang of it though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You did the right think and told the truth. I think anyone would be upset over it, I would be pretty mad too. Just know that his baby just got hurt so his emotions are going to be high. Your Dad will probably wake up tmwr and just be glad that you are okay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
perhaps you need to re-enroll for BRC at MSF? :D just kidding

no bro, credit yourself for the man-up attitude as you told your dad the truth, atleast you didn't lie and most of all you are trying to fix it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts