Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i used an impact driver to remove the hex bolt holding it on since it had blue loctite however i think a drill or a wrench would have worked as well. it wasnt that difficult to remove. I then loosened the nut on the tie rod that attaches the elbow joint that is connected to the shift lever itself. and i unscrewed the joint by spinning the shift lever removing it from the tie rod. this is where i was confused. im thinking how the hell do i get this joint off this shift lever and onto a new one. Well the answer is you dont. i looked again at the shift lever i ordered and lo and behold the elbow joint i was trying to take off is in fact permanently attached and the new one i ordered has it attached as well! problem solved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Cypherz,

I ran into the same thing, except since the gear shift lever is still weeks out, I wanted to use a blowtorch to help bend the part back into place. Then of course, I ran into the issue you just described. Do you (or anyone else) know if that whole apparatus can come off so I can work on just the lever as opposed to replacing it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah. Actually I found the bolt which allowed the whole assembly to dis-attach. At the bottom end of the tie bar by the other elbow joint, there's a bolt which holds it to the bottom of the shifter assembly that you can easily (i.e. no loctite or anything) undo with a wrench.

The shifter on my bike is pretty much shot already so this was more of an experiment, but like any experiment, they don't always do what you want. I took a Bernzomatic 3000 to it for about 5 minutes but really only accomplished melting the rubber off of the tip of the shifter lever. The metal never started to glow or anything and bending it back into shape wasn't really an option.

Once the replacement part comes, this should be pretty straight forward to put on, but as for home repairs of this part, No such luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.