Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/girls

May be bit of a silly question but I just want to make sure.. how sensitive are motorcycles on sand?

I have signed up for the MSF course, but due to the weather, it has been postponed twice already and now wont be able to take it until March.

I figured I would take this opportunity to practice riding however due to recent snow storms here in NY, there are some slight sand? spread around on the streets in my neighborhood.

Would it be safe to practice riding on my 300? Or should I stay put and wait til the sanding is spread/cleared out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nah sand isn't dangerous...

Riding on sand is

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i can remember riding my bmw k120rs across a dry river bed a few years ago. no big deal. i went across in 2nd gear and put my bike tyres where the cars had been driving, that way the sand was compacted a fair bit and did it in 2nd gear. no big drama

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
If it's just trace amounts of sand on the road then it's whatever and probably won't affect you. If it's clumped together or in patches then it could be a big problem. I have been riding on the streets since they threw down a ton of sand/salt here in VA for the snow we got and it hasn't given me a problem, but I've also avoided riding over it if possible.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you have never ridden a motorcycle do not try to practice on sandy streets! I've seen even experianced riders go down turning slowly on a street with a bit of sand on it. I would wait if I were you, don't let the excitement of having a new vehicle cloud your judgement, you might end up having to have it repaired and i'm not sure your insurance company would finance the repairs if you don't have your liscense yet and there is the possibility of a ticket or fine if the authorities get involved (say you had to call 911 to come get you).
Be sensable, you have years ahead of you to enjoy riding!
Well...thats my 3 cents.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
You ever rode a dirt bike? You might want to expect your bike to slide around a little kinda like a dirt bike will.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea it is just traces of sand here and there. Not big patches but sprinkles. Not talking about sand dunes or anything. But yea I guess the excitement is just clouding my judgement.
Jusy been annoyed that the MSF course has been postponed and figured maybe its a sign telling me to get a little practice before going in. But I guess ill wait for it to clear up a bit.
Thanks for your input guys

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Use your best judgement. If you could easily roller blade / skateboard down the street then you can ride your bike. And I say roller blade / skateboard because the tiniest rock can put you on your ass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea it is just traces of sand here and there. Not big patches but sprinkles. Not talking about sand dunes or anything. But yea I guess the excitement is just clouding my judgement.
Jusy been annoyed that the MSF course has been postponed and figured maybe its a sign telling me to get a little practice before going in. But I guess ill wait for it to clear up a bit.
Thanks for your input guys

I agree 100% with Old Rider. Been there done that. Hang in there and wait. To help pass the time get a map and start planning and highlighting your road trips for the riding season. Besides you really don't want all that nasty road salt (wet or dry) getting all over your new bike it gets in every little nook and starts eating away at your ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts