Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of you already know that I have been trying to sell my car for a while now just so I can get this bike as I have been on this forum posting for a while now saying that I need to get it sold. However I am still having terrible troubles in trying to get through this process.

Just as a background, I am doing this because I want to ride more than anything, and by getting a bike, it will help my family out financially as well as making us closer as I do nothing with my family and after my interest in bikes came out, my dad and I have gotten along probably better than ever.

So here's the situation:

I have an 06 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe for sale at $7,500 even though KBB says it is worth the $8,000 range and I myself feel it is worth that as well. I have posted on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Craigslist, and I have written "For Sale Call (***)***-****". I have received probably around 30 offers from people over these couple months but have yet to get someone that commits to wanting my car and has the money to do so. I have tried the dealership route and they only offer me 5 grand but I still owe 7 grand on this car as I bought it for roughly 10 a couple years ago so I obviously cannot do this.

I also tried to see if my motorcycle dealership would take my car as a trade in as a car dealership agreed to buy it off of them if they took it in as a trade in. However, motorcycle dealership told me that they would be able to do that if there would be no negative equity because the bank won't finance negative equity that high (or something along those lines).

ANYWAY, here I am trying to analyze every avenue and figure out what I can do to help this and I do not have many more things for me to try. I realize that many of you will think that I need to just wait it out, which I will do, however I wanted to know if you guys could think of any other road I could go down or possibly something that would help my car sell or something.

Any constructive input is very helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
So some of you already know that I have been trying to sell my car for a while now just so I can get this bike as I have been on this forum posting for a while now saying that I need to get it sold. However I am still having terrible troubles in trying to get through this process.

Just as a background, I am doing this because I want to ride more than anything, and by getting a bike, it will help my family out financially as well as making us closer as I do nothing with my family and after my interest in bikes came out, my dad and I have gotten along probably better than ever.

So here's the situation:

I have an 06 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe for sale at $7,500 even though KBB says it is worth the $8,000 range and I myself feel it is worth that as well. I have posted on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Craigslist, and I have written "For Sale Call (***)***-****". I have received probably around 30 offers from people over these couple months but have yet to get someone that commits to wanting my car and has the money to do so. I have tried the dealership route and they only offer me 5 grand but I still owe 7 grand on this car as I bought it for roughly 10 a couple years ago so I obviously cannot do this.

I also tried to see if my motorcycle dealership would take my car as a trade in as a car dealership agreed to buy it off of them if they took it in as a trade in. However, motorcycle dealership told me that they would be able to do that if there would be no negative equity because the bank won't finance negative equity that high (or something along those lines).

ANYWAY, here I am trying to analyze every avenue and figure out what I can do to help this and I do not have many more things for me to try. I realize that many of you will think that I need to just wait it out, which I will do, however I wanted to know if you guys could think of any other road I could go down or possibly something that would help my car sell or something.

Smoke as you put gas in to it.:D Or try to find a place that will give you a personal loan that you can pay off the car with then turn around and sell it at the dealer for the price of the 300 and then just make payments on the loan.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you having to sell your car to get the bike finances? I bought my bike on the first time buyer program through kawasaki for only 95 a month
Because I would have to pay for both the car and the bike, I do not have to sell the car to afford the bike, but I cannot afford to have both.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smoke as you put gas in to it.:D Or try to find a place that will give you a personal loan that you can pay off the car with then turn around and sell it at the dealer for the price of the 300 and then just make payments on the loan.
Yeah I didn't think about that... I will definitely try to figure out if that is possible to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Try and re-finance your loan to include the amount that you will need extra to pay for your bike, buy your bike and continue trying to sell your car. Then when you do sell it, pay that full amount that you sold it for back off the loan.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Most people want to buy a car from a person who has the title in hand. If you can get a personal loan for the amount that is owed on the car and pay off the car and get the title you should have an easier time selling it.

My other idea was carmax, they will offer you more than the dealership but probably not as much as you want.

I have also sold my car and ride only a 300, saves me a ton of money. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I wouldn't get a loan. I would work to save up enough money to pay cash for the bike. Even if it takes a year, by next year the bike might even be improved or you might have more choices.
Might even get the moondust SE versions by then like what the Canadians got(those bastards :D) It'll be quicker to save up for the bike than trying to save up to pay off your car loan. I would also highly suggest AGAINST selling your car for your bike. The trunk alone is worth keeping the car. Living alone, there are things that come in large packages that I can't transport on a bike as much as I try, and I don't think it's fair always relying on friends to help transport groceries or other large items.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have tried the dealership route and they only offer me 5 grand but I still owe 7 grand on this car as I bought it for roughly 10 a couple years ago so I obviously cannot do this.

Your problem (it seems) is your inability to successfully manage your finances (assuming you are employed.) You say you have had the G6 for "a couple years" and it is STILL not paid off? And you bought it for roughly $10K? Who can not pay off a $10K car in a couple years? Someone who either can not save their money, or pay their bills- that is who.

My advice- pay off the car, like you probably said you would to yourself, or your lender a couple of years ago. Get a second or third job if you have to.

If you REALLY want this bike (or anything in life for this matter) you will do what it takes to get it. So stop trying to sell a car you have not even paid off yet and take the easy route. Work 18 hour days, save every cent you can, eat, sleep, and breathe the goal you have set for yourself, and earn it.

If it is any consolation- I do not know you, but I believe in you.

That is somehelpful and constructive input for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your problem (it seems) is your inability to successfully manage your finances (assuming you are employed.) You say you have had the G6 for "a couple years" and it is STILL not paid off? And you bought it for roughly $10K? Who can not pay off a $10K car in a couple years? Someone who either can not save their money, or pay their bills- that is who.

My advice- pay off the car, like you probably said you would to yourself, or your lender a couple of years ago. Get a second or third job if you have to.

If you REALLY want this bike (or anything in life for this matter) you will do what it takes to get it. So stop trying to sell a car you have not even paid off yet and take the easy route. Work 18 hour days, save every cent you can, eat, sleep, and breathe the goal you have set for yourself, and earn it.

I appreciate the idea you have here, but we make our payments in time, we haven't finished all this because my dad lost his job after we got my vehicle, that is why we do not own it. I was making payments myself on my car as I still do but I was 16 years old when I bought it, and because of that I was limited on work hours but what I was able to work, I used on paying for my car as well as whatever else I could while my parents took care of most other things. My parents could have just paid for the vehicle as they were able back then to handle it themselves, but I worked for it myself using the little money I made to pay for it even though it was under their name. I am now 18 years old and I have two jobs, and I am paying for all my food, all my clothes, and my car, as well as whatever I can to help my parents.

So although I appreciate the advice if I were someone who "cannot manage finances", I just wanted to let you know that what we currently have is because we were financially able before but we are now holding on the best we can with our situation. I am still in school while working and because of work, I stay up until 2am every night to do homework. Getting another job is clearly out of the question.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I would like to add that selling my car for the bike once again, is not just so I can ride, but it is because monthly payments for the bike is FAR less than my car. If I keep my car and save up for the bike, then that involves me paying for the car still. If I get the bike now, I can actually have the bike and save up for a different car down the road. I am already financing this car and cannot just get rid of it and I need transportation so financing a bike will be cheaper as well as all the other costs will be cheaper such as gas and insurance.

You have to keep in mind the situation that I am in, not what I "should" have done before or anything like that. And again, it was not a problem in the past when making these financial decisions, they were completely plausible and there was even a backup position for my dad in the event he lost his job, but they for whatever reason restructured the company and eliminated his backup position...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon, GT Limited Edition 5-Speed with 69k miles, and I am only asking $4000 for it. I'm on the same boat needing to sell the car for the bike but mines been paid off since like 2007.
only 4 grand for your car? jeez... dude private party sales for that is like 9 grand at a fair condition price... and you could VERY easily take it to a dealership and sell it for over 4 grand.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also I would like to add that selling my car for the bike once again, is not just so I can ride, but it is because monthly payments for the bike is FAR less than my car. If I keep my car and save up for the bike, then that involves me paying for the car still. If I get the bike now, I can actually have the bike and save up for a different car down the road. I am already financing this car and cannot just get rid of it and I need transportation so financing a bike will be cheaper as well as all the other costs will be cheaper such as gas and insurance.

You have to keep in mind the situation that I am in, not what I "should" have done before or anything like that. And again, it was not a problem in the past when making these financial decisions, they were completely plausible and there was even a backup position for my dad in the event he lost his job, but they for whatever reason restructured the company and eliminated his backup position...
Ok, so you can manage you money, sorry I assumed you couldn't- but hopefully you can see why that would be a persons initial assumption.

I work 2 jobs, 65 hours a week between them, and have school 3 nights a week. I also live on my own which means, I too pay for my own food, utilities, rent, etc. I started to save for this bike last November, and got it in January on a $4K loan (since I put $2k down.) I only have $2K left on the loan.

My point is that if you think you are working hard enough for it, but what you want just in not panning out- it is not because the world is against you (even though it is in a way) and you need help. What you need is to push yourself harder. You are still thinking that selling the car is the answer, when it is not. Set a savings goal.

Set $1K a month as a savings goal, or in your case it is more of a payment plan really. At 60+ hours (my definition of 2 jobs is 60+ hours because that is one FT and one PT job) a week it should be easy. Even with rent, utilities, food, phone bill, insurance, and gas I can do that.

And pay off the car, then sell it. Agreeably it is the long way of doing things. But all those cheesy cliche's about nothing good ever coming easy and nothing easy ever being good are true. Do it right and your family will respect you more for and more importantly you will respect yourself more for it.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Ok, I don't know why the F you think you know more about financial management than anyone else, but seriously...who do you think you are telling someone that just because they've been making payments on a car for a "couple of years" and they don't have enough money to pay it off AND buy a bike with cash, you assume they can't manage their finances?! Maybe they have other bills to pay, yet still need reliable transportation? Sometimes people sell a car they still owe money on so they can reduce payments to save money for other priorities. Not everyone has the ability to pay cash for everything. Personally, my finances are great, yet I still chose to sell a car that I still owed on, bought a cheaper car with the equity, and took out a loan for my bike. Guess what? I still have a better credit score (over 800) than most of you that are telling people "if you don't pay cash you're bad with your money". Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand people lecturing others about their finances without really.knowing anything about their actual situation.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I don't know why the F you think you know more about financial management than anyone else, but seriously...who do you think you are telling someone that just because they've been making payments on a car for a "couple of years" and they don't have enough money to pay it off AND buy a bike with cash, you assume they can't manage their finances?! Maybe they have other bills to pay, yet still need reliable transportation? Sometimes people sell a car they still owe money on so they can reduce payments to save money for other priorities. Not everyone has the ability to pay cash for everything. Personally, my finances are great, yet I still chose to sell a car that I still owed on, bought a cheaper car with the equity, and took out a loan for my bike. Guess what? I still have a better credit score (over 800) than most of you that are telling people "if you don't pay cash you're bad with your money". Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand people lecturing others about their finances without really.knowing anything about their actual situation.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
That is exactly my reasoning, I am stuck with these payments and need to have something reliable that will cost less so I can afford to help parents pay off other things as well as completely take care of my own things at the same time. Glad you understand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so you can manage you money, sorry I assumed you couldn't- but hopefully you can see why that would be a persons initial assumption.

I work 2 jobs, 65 hours a week between them, and have school 3 nights a week. I also live on my own which means, I too pay for my own food, utilities, rent, etc. I started to save for this bike last November, and got it in January on a $4K loan (since I put $2k down.) I only have $2K left on the loan.

My point is that if you think you are working hard enough for it, but what you want just in not panning out- it is not because the world is against you (even though it is in a way) and you need help. What you need is to push yourself harder. You are still thinking that selling the car is the answer, when it is not. Set a savings goal.

Set $1K a month as a savings goal, or in your case it is more of a payment plan really. At 60+ hours (my definition of 2 jobs is 60+ hours because that is one FT and one PT job) a week it should be easy. Even with rent, utilities, food, phone bill, insurance, and gas I can do that.

And pay off the car, then sell it. Agreeably it is the long way of doing things. But all those cheesy cliche's about nothing good ever coming easy and nothing easy ever being good are true. Do it right and your family will respect you more for and more importantly you will respect yourself more for it.
I am working as much as I can, I get the hours I can get and I am still in high school so I have school 5 days a week and homework each night as well as work and I am president of a civil service group, and I play music in my church's praise band, and these are things that are very important to me so I have made many sacrifices to try to pay for things including dropping working out, martial arts, time with friends/girlfriend, etc. and even took away time in the band and haven't been able to give my full potential as a president because of this. But I am not dropping these things either.

But I do see where you are coming from, just please try to come at a less convicting tone in your words as of course I cannot explain my whole situation through text for you to convict me of doing something wrong or not trying hard enough.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
who do you think you are telling someone that just because they've been making payments on a car for a "couple of years" and they don't have enough money to pay it off
I am the guy who says that just about any FT minimum wage job in the known USA will pay you well over $10K after taxes annually.

that are telling people "if you don't pay cash you're bad with your money".
I never said that, you can try and quote me. And the OP and myself have already gone over how most people initially assume when a person is trying to sell something to buy something, it is because of financial irresponsibility.

Maybe they have other bills to pay, yet still need reliable transportation? Sometimes people sell a car they still owe money on so they can reduce payments to save money for other priorities.
Maybe they should just be responsible enough in the first place not to get in over their heads?

Just forget about my opinion if it bothers you- just develop your own about the OP's original post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
just please try to come at a less convicting tone in your words as of course I cannot explain my whole situation through text for you to convict me of doing something wrong or not trying hard enough.
You can not express tone through text on the internet, you perceive my tone through your developed idea of how someone might sound when discussing this with you with an objective opinion that differs from your own, or the popular response people tend to follow.

And it sounds like you are very accomplished, I have no doubt that if you focus on earning the money you need to solve the car/motorcycle dilemma you will be on two wheels by the end of summer.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts