Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my 300 a month ago and I am loving it. I am not entirely new to bikes, as I used to ride a 500 while in college and for a few years afterwards, but this was first bike in a while. The thing is: I have come across a VERY, VERY good deal on a Ducati Monster 696. Insane good deal. So, I now must decide if I want to own a second motorcycle. I am not concerned about the expense of a second bike, or the (in)famous temperament of a Ducati.

Essentially, this is a matter of deciding whether or not I should own a second bike. My 300 would continue to serve as my daily commuter, and I think the Monster would see action mostly on weekends and maybe an occasional summer evening ride. :D :cool:

So, would YOU do it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, if the Ducati really speaks to you and you aren't concerned about the cost. I've never ridden a 696, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. They're supposed to be fairly manageable for new ridders as well.

I actually looked at the Monsters fairly hard while I was shopping, but decided I didn't want to deal with possible maintenance headaches on my first sport bike.

Edit: I'd make sure you have a Ducati dealer nearby. Parts are going to be a lot harder to come by and the maintenance schedule is a lot shorter than the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I always own at least 3 bikes...presently a Vespa 300, Gixxer 1000, and a Street Triple r. I recently traded in my Ninja 300 on the new Gixxer 1 mo. ago. I ride every day. I also have 2 cars, but put the most miles on my favorite bike of the moment...the Gixxer. 2700 mi. the first month. Of course you don't NEED even one motorcycle, but that's not the point. Never owned a Ducati, but love the looks. My next bike will be a Tuono v4 or the RSV-4 Aprilia, since my neighbor owns af1 racing and always gives me good deals. Get the bike!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was going to buy a 696, but around here, the dealer wouldn't let one out the door for much under $12,000. I fugured I could have jist as much fun on the 300 for half the price, so I went with it. The 696 is an awesome bike, I guess you just need to decide if you want to spend money on a bike that isn't going to see much use.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
344 Posts
I found the perfect balance of motorcycles at the moment. I have street legal enduro to go off-roading with and enjoy many Adventure Riders events. I have big sport tourer that go on interstate and bad weather riding on. Now I use the Ninja 300 as my gas sipper commuter bike. Motorcycles are not all the same. There are different purpose bikes and trying to have the one that does everything will leave you disappointed in some areas.

If and when you can afford it, get a bike for each of the riding styles you enjoy. The 300 is simply my commuter bike and nothing more. If I was into true sport bike riding and track days still I would own a different bike for that. Most riders don't ride enough to go this route and are content with one bike for everything. For me, I want my motorcycle to do what I want very well. One bike just doesn't do it.

Currently: Ninja 300 (commuter), BMW K1600GT (sport touring), and Husqvarna TE 450 (dual-sport riding)

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
So, I got my 300 a month ago and I am loving it. I am not entirely new to bikes, as I used to ride a 500 while in college and for a few years afterwards, but this was first bike in a while. The thing is: I have come across a VERY, VERY good deal on a Ducati Monster 696. Insane good deal. So, I now must decide if I want to own a second motorcycle. I am not concerned about the expense of a second bike, or the (in)famous temperament of a Ducati.

Essentially, this is a matter of deciding whether or not I should own a second bike. My 300 would continue to serve as my daily commuter, and I think the Monster would see action mostly on weekends and maybe an occasional summer evening ride. :D :cool:

So, would YOU do it?
YES! If the deal is as good as you make it out to be, I'd jump on the Monster instantaneously

My room is actually painted Ducati Red with Ducati/MotoGP posters and black doors, white trim. The exotic experience that comes with a Ducati, even a Monster, is worth every penny.

Old picture, but you get the idea lol

Reactions: bodhipooh

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
I got more then 2 ninjas and 2 600 bikes now if I had the money id be getting a 848 evo or a 1199 if I really had the money.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts

So, would YOU do it?
Plus the monster is like getting a really bad ass dirt bike for the street.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, for those who took the time to chime in: THANK YOU!

I decided to bid on that Ducati Monster 696 and, shockingly, won the auction with a single bid. For those who care to see the bike, here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-Monster-Ducati-Monster-696-with-lots-of-upgrades-/271157327782?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f223c77a6

Now, I need to figure out how to go about picking it up and bring it back to NJ. Fly down, ride back? Ship it professionally? Oh well, I'll worry about that later on this weekend. Need to go enjoy a few drinks and let it sink in that I just bought a second motorcycle. :eek: :cool: :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure why you are having problems accessing the eBay page.

The bike is in Florida, and I am in NJ. I am now trying to decide whether to fly down, and ride it back (with lots of stops along the way to visit friends and family) or simply ship it up north via professional motorcycle shippers. Tons of options, either way. I am excited about this second bike. I need to figure out the insurance and registration and all that. It will be a BUSY week for me, for sure.

My final price was $7,600 for a bike that retails for about $9,600 (new, after taxes) but it has close to 10K worth of upgrades. I just couldn't pass up that deal.

So, any suggestions on motorcycle shippers?? :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I was looking at buying a bike from a dealer in Connecticut (I'm in Florida) my shipping quote was $400. Let me see if I can find that link.

Edit: They don't list the shipper. Any bonded shipper should be fine. Just see if you can get some reviews on them. Quotes I got ranged from $400-$600 when I was shopping nationally.

I'd only drive it up if you have time to take the back roads. I-95 is a soul sucking stretch of highway. Taking it up the Blue Ridge Parkway might be fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for chiming in, GNV. I would REALLY appreciate it if you can forward any links you may have on shippers.

I know what you mean about I-95. I have driven all over the Eastern seaboard on I-95 and it can get pretty boring at times. I have never done the whole NYC - MCO thing, which many of my friends have done in cages, but my current thinking is that I could break it into 3 days (two overnights) and enjoy a leisurely trip, maybe even taking time to make multiple stops along the way (I am a sucker for food, and BBQ!)

What do others think? Is trying to cover 400 - 500 miles (650 - 800 km) per day (for three days) a little crazy?? I don't find the distance daunting at all, but I want to make sure I am not fooling myself. Total distance is about 1250 miles (2000 km) from FLL to NYC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts