Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
PROBLEM:
Hello there. I bought a cheap ebay rear seat cowl and i was dissapointed because its not hot swappable, like the one the bigger bikes have. The genuine one has the same problem, even they completely hide it everywhere.
I came from 600cc. I refure to screw/unscrew the iron piece each time i want to replace my seat cowl with my seat. I just want to turn the seat key.

SOLUTION:
At seat cowl, carefully detach the black foam. Not entirely, just to loose the nuts. Remove the black metal from the other side.
I bought a cheap rear seat from ebay, around $22.
I removed the "skin" and the foam and only keep the white plastic.Using a gardening pruner i cut the white plastic (like butter). Dremel and saw didn't work. It's hard to describe the shape, so i attached one picture. The black metal from seat cowl is holding the white plastic in place, put it back.
When you slide the white piece underneath the red dots, a slight distortion is made, causing the green lines to NOT be parallels anymore, thus a little hard when inserting the cowl in the bike. There are solutions but it didn't disturbs me very much, so i left it.
Watch out the purple adjustment bar I think that i'm at correct position but check it yourself before you advance. Too down will cause the cowl to be removed from the bike if you pull it's tail. The black metal will hold you from not going very down. Don't go very up also.

CONCLUSION:
The final product is perfect, you swap it in a second when a beautiful girl appears. It stands in correct position, no need for adjustment. It may not be strong for thievery but i don't think that's weaker than the original seat cowl. Total cost <=$50. It's easy to do, with a huge possibility of success.

Registered
Hello, welcome to the forum, and thanks for a GREAT first post! (y)

Not sure I followed the construction 100%, but I do understand the issue; I was also surprised once I realized it wasn't straight forward to swap between the two; seems this must have been almost done deliberately (although I couldn't see why), because from an engineering stand-point, this is not really that difficult to achieve.

Kudos to you for finding a solution!!! 馃憣

By the way, if the cheap eBay seat only cost ~$22, where does the other expense come from that brings it to ~$50? :unsure:

Registered
Huh??? I didnt get a cheap Chinese rear cowl for the 300. I got a factory one for a cheap price and it comes off super easy with a turn of the key just like the factory rear seat. I did get a cheap Chinese one for my 400, the paint was way off, but it fit perfect. Came off with a turn of the key as well.
1A9B61EC-3D91-4CEF-9601-8397726C635E.jpeg

E43DD866-2826-4D30-84B8-E023DCCD2298.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I got a factory one for a cheap price and it comes off super easy with a turn of the key just like the factory rear seat.
I might be wrong. Please upload a photo from the under side, of the genuine seat cowl of the 300.
I also said about swapping seats with a turn of the key, not just coming off.

Registered
I might be wrong. Please upload a photo from the under side, of the genuine seat cowl of the 300.
I also said about swapping seats with a turn of the key, not just coming off.
Will do once I am able to get into get into my trailer. We got slammed with 18 inches
of snow last nite. I moved all my bikes into the trailer while I paint the race plastics on the 400. The snow blower had to be moved into the front of the garage for winter use.

Registered
OP is talking about the difference between how the pillion seat vs. the cowl attaches to the bike.

The cowl doesn't attach the same way the pillion seat does.
The cowl requires a metal bracket attached by two screws; the seat does not require this bracket.
The cowl uses a tab to attach at the rear of the bike, the seat uses a pin.

Here's a video (not mine), that shows the cowl bracket:

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Will do once I am able to get into get into my trailer. We got slammed with 18 inches
of snow last nite. I moved all my bikes into the trailer while I paint the race plastics on the 400. The snow blower had to be moved into the front of the garage for winter use.
A photo of the inner side, of the genuine seat cowl of the Ninja 300. You said that's super easy to remove by just turning the key, didn't you?

Registered
To elaborate further: not only does the seat not require the bracket, the seat can't be installed with the bracket in place! o_O:mad:
You are absolutely correct, that bracket has too be installed with the racing cowl. The stock passenger seat cannot be installed with that bracket in place. It only takes 5 minutes to remove. I totally misunderstood, my apologies. That bracket comes with the racing cowl, if it is not installed, the cowl is not secure and will come off when you are riding!

Registered
I totally misunderstood, my apologies.
Absolutely no worries! (y) (y) (y)
I figured because you posted two pics with cowls (both versions NICE looking, BTW!!), that's what was going on.

It only takes 5 minutes to remove.
I have a suspicion -and OP alluded to this with: ...you swap it in a second when a beautiful girl appears... - that 5 minutes might be a deal-breaker, when it comes to convincing a potential rider from hopping on.

Seat cowl installed: if someone asks who you don't want riding along, you have an excuse: "Sorry, this is NOT a pillion, only a cowl."
But if you DO want a person to ride along: "No problem, let me quickly replace the cowl with a seat for you....and here's a helmet."
:cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Seat cowl installed: if someone asks who you don't want riding along, you have an excuse: "Sorry, this is NOT a pillion, only a cowl."
But if you DO want a person to ride along: "No problem, let me quickly replace the cowl with a seat for you....and here's a helmet."
:cool:
Exactly that.

Beyond humour, the metal bracket is also a problem. It's not the 5 minutes, i don't want to unscrew again and again these 2 that screws against the fairing, it might broke after years. Also it's easier to go inside my house for a moment and only carry the seat, instead of carry the seat and an allen. And if it's night, carefully not to loose the washers. The stock seat cowl is good, custom hot swap is better.

Registered
I still wonder what their reasoning was, to make this NOT "hot swappable"?

Anyway, nice workaround! (y)

By the way, I have a COMPLETELY different reason why I'd want this easier to swap:
My OEM Kawasaki tail bag attaches to the pillion, and it would be nice to simply swap between the pillion seat (with bag attached), to the cowl, simply by using the key.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I still wonder what their reasoning was, to make this NOT "hot swappable"?
I agree.

Anyway, nice workaround! (y)
Spread it to help others.

My OEM Kawasaki tail bag attaches to the pillion, and it would be nice to simply swap between the pillion seat (with bag attached), to the cowl, simply by using the key.
Me too i forgot this. I put luggage in the rear pillion seat when i trip but the other days i keep it solo. I Also put a decal in the cowl:

Attachments

Registered
I haven鈥檛 ridden anyone on the back of any of my bikes in over 12 years. I take the passenger pegs off and rock the race cowl on all my bikes. As far as a HOT CHICK requesting a ride at a gas station........ it has happened a few times......I try too get them digits and give her a 鈥渞ide鈥 later!!!! 馃槇馃槇馃槇馃槑馃槑馃槑. I try too stay out of trouble but............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts