Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this on my first motorcycles, but I dont plan on doing this with the 300.. Only because at my last house, I didnt need to carry a house key because because my garage was attached to the house, but now I have a detached garage and need to take the house keys with me..

But wanted to post it up to give ideas to anyone else, here is a random google picture:

I am sure there are many ways to do this but I took my screwdriver and stuck it in boiling water for a couple minutes, and when I pulled it out, I just used a pair of plyers and the metal shaft of the screwdriver just pulled right out.

Now I did it the easy way I just cut the back of the key off, as in I cut the the rear section so it was the same diameter as the shaft (so it was 2 cuts) and took a drill bit that was the same diameter as the key, then I used some JB weld to hold it in place. I had it for almost 2 years and it worked out great :)

It really gets looks if you use a handle that obviously looks like a screwdriver handle.. I actually had a police offer pull up next to me at a light and he kept looking at me, when it turned green I started off, he instantly got behind me with his lights on. He pulled me over and asked me my license and registration. I asked him what I did and he told me to keep quiet.. He came back and handed me my stuff and said whats the screwdriver is all about. I pulled it out of the ignition and showed it to him.. We had a good laugh over it, luckily I was just on a joy ride and not on my way to work or anything haha..

·
Registered
865 Posts
haha thats a fun mod

not sure I would do it, i have a nasty habbit of getting pulled over already for things I didnt do.. >_< plus I like my keys to fit in my pocket haha

But I may do this for my father, he may get a kick out of it!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
[rant]Cops in the us are so rude. The "I'm the boss and all mankind must obey because i have a badge-thing. God-complex anyone? Telling u to keep quiet, asking simple questions makes them feel insecure? Respect trough fear has an adverse effect imo...

[/rant]

Ontopic : love the idea! U might even use a facom or snap-on handle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So i had an old billet key holder. Decided to do the mod. This is what it looks like so far.

I used a sharp razor to cup around the key.

This is what it looks like underneath that plastic.

I'm going to cut they key where the red line is and insert it into my billet key holder.

I'll post up a picture when im all done.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Def would get attention from Johnnie Law as it looks like the screwdriver " mod " the bad guys use when they gank a bike..

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looks pretty cool...hmm, maybe time to find a cute pink screwdriver ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thieves will punch out an ignition with a screw driver. A friend had this done when his bike was stolen. He still uses an actual screw driver to this day to start his bike. I'm more impressed that the officer noticed at a red light.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I picked up a Keyport today at the Motorcycle show. Pretty slick little jobby, keep all my car keys on their own thing and then when I ride I just take the keyport. Bike key, two apartment keys all inside the keyport. They even cut them for me at the show :D

Now I don't need to keep any keys in my pockets!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.