Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Scraped footpegs today

8K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  bryce 
#1 ·
I timidly took off to the twisties today and it was a blast. I uturned after finishing the road and did it again till my fuel gauge showed 1 bar remaining.

So i took a yurn and scraped the foot peg. first reaction was "WTF!?" Second was, "Cooooool!"

Then at home i inspected the oem foot pegs and noticed these little nubs thst stick out downwards at a 45* angle. What are they for ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Still running OEM tires. Mainly using this bike as a commuter so I'm going to run it till it's time, then upgrade.

Upon some research, yeah I scrapped the Feelers and not the pegs itself. I guess I need to work on body position to reduce grinding that thing down too much.

#9 ·
Upon some research, yeah I scrapped the Feelers and not the pegs itself. I guess I need to work on body position to reduce grinding that thing down too much.
you know you can buy replacement hero lugs after you wear these ones down;)

#18 ·
^^This^^
Proper body positioning will keep the bike more upright, and a larger contact patch of the tires on the pavement.
What seemed to happen to me was the following:

Approach corner,
Set up line,
Scoot respective butt cheek off the seat,
Turn in (Gradually throttle on),
Push handles more to adjust line

So, if I hang off more, are you saying I shouldn't have to push the handles as much? Thus keeping the bike more upright while taking the same corner.

It was my first outting to actual twisties and I'm sure I looked very timid through the corners if someone was watching. Heck, I was afraid I'd hang off too much and fall off~ :eek:

**Side note: should I really be dragging knee without knee-sliders? I'm just wearing commuter textile.

#11 ·
Just take note when leaning over while shifting your body: When you do this, you are increasing the overall combined lean angle of your bike + body. This allows you to pull more G's in a corner, letting you take the same radius at a greater speed. However, you better be sure your tires can handle it.

So just be careful with those stock tires :)

#16 ·
putting pirelli rosso 2s like on my 650 I cant wait

#25 · (Edited)
Actually it is no...

If you lean more, you must still maintain the same steering input to maintain the turn radius. All the leaning more does is pick up your bike a bit so your peg isn't likely to scrape. However, you could steer tighter into the turn at that same speed after leaning, thus increasing your overall lean angle again. The steering input and your speed causes the lean. Not the other way around.

Leaning just lets you steer more aggressively without scraping pegs.

That is an eye opening read Woomba. Thanks for that immensely.
No prob mate. A lot of this stuff, like leaning and counter steering, comes naturally. But it's better to understand exactly how it works so you can be a better rider. So I read and watch a lot of vids so I don't lay in bed trying to figure stuff out, all the while losing sleep :p

#29 ·

the hard lean was a result of having the wrong visor at night. Took a curve too fast because i couldn't see it with my visor. Packing it with me from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.