Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I timidly took off to the twisties today and it was a blast. I uturned after finishing the road and did it again till my fuel gauge showed 1 bar remaining.

So i took a yurn and scraped the foot peg. first reaction was "WTF!?" Second was, "Cooooool!"

Then at home i inspected the oem foot pegs and noticed these little nubs thst stick out downwards at a 45* angle. What are they for ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Then at home i inspected the oem foot pegs and noticed these little nubs thst stick out downwards at a 45* angle. What are they for ?
Peg heroes. They're there for exactly that reason, so you don't actually scrape the peg.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Pretty sure they're like "feelers" so you can be warned when your foot pegs are getting close to the road. Kinda like the bumps on the shoulder of a highway, warns you that you're close to the divider.
Feelers! I knew heroes wasn't right... lol

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still running OEM tires. Mainly using this bike as a commuter so I'm going to run it till it's time, then upgrade.

Upon some research, yeah I scrapped the Feelers and not the pegs itself. I guess I need to work on body position to reduce grinding that thing down too much.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Upon some research, yeah I scrapped the Feelers and not the pegs itself. I guess I need to work on body position to reduce grinding that thing down too much.
you know you can buy replacement hero lugs after you wear these ones down;)

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Still running OEM tires. Mainly using this bike as a commuter so I'm going to run it till it's time, then upgrade.

Hang off more. You should be scraping knee before you scrape peg :cool:

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Just take note when leaning over while shifting your body: When you do this, you are increasing the overall combined lean angle of your bike + body. This allows you to pull more G's in a corner, letting you take the same radius at a greater speed. However, you better be sure your tires can handle it.

So just be careful with those stock tires :)

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just take note when leaning over while shifting your body: When you do this, you are increasing the overall combined lean angle of your bike + body. This allows you to pull more G's in a corner, letting you take the same radius at a greater speed. However, you better be sure your tires can handle it.

So just be careful with those stock tires :)
No kidding. I'm still fairly new so I'm not going to be draggin too many knees right now. ESPECIALLY on these stock tires.

· Banned
666 Posts
putting pirelli rosso 2s like on my 650 I cant wait

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^This^^
Proper body positioning will keep the bike more upright, and a larger contact patch of the tires on the pavement.
What seemed to happen to me was the following:

Approach corner,
Set up line,
Scoot respective butt cheek off the seat,
Turn in (Gradually throttle on),
Push handles more to adjust line

So, if I hang off more, are you saying I shouldn't have to push the handles as much? Thus keeping the bike more upright while taking the same corner.

It was my first outting to actual twisties and I'm sure I looked very timid through the corners if someone was watching. Heck, I was afraid I'd hang off too much and fall off~ :eek:

**Side note: should I really be dragging knee without knee-sliders? I'm just wearing commuter textile.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.