Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

What's your safety cam situation?

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First option is supposed to say "are you concerned about proving your a safe rider or hit and runs?"

I know GoPro is popular with a lot of riders as a safety cam. I'm working on developing something more convenient that would only record the last few minutes before a collision. I'm thinking of a design that has the camera and batteries fully integrated in to the helmet. And, also has a convenient charging port you plug in when the helmet isn't in use.

My question to you:

Do you use a GoPro primarily as a safety cam?
Would you switch to something like the product I'm designing?

If you don't use a GoPro would you consider buying a helmet with a cam integrated in to it; to be used specifically as a event data video recorder?

I appreciate any feedback.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I would like a helmet with an integrated discreet go pro built in or at least a sleender camera socket built in.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
if your going to design a helmet then i suggest you make it to the Australian standards or better as we have one of the highest standards in the world. that way if it complies to Australian law/regulations then it will pass just about everyone else’s helmet laws too.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I would maybe focus on something that can adapt to an already existing helmet, you would have to price the whole helmet pretty low to convince people to switch from their current helmets to one with a camera in it. There are several things I would consider:

• The price difference between buying a helmet with a camera in it, compared to just buying a camera and keeping your current helmet;
  • People tend to be visually stimulated first, feature stimulated second......its just human nature. The helmets would have to have visually appealing designs for a start to even compete in that market. And the features such as flow, venting, viewport area etc would have to be taken into account. Look at Reevu helmets as an example.......awesome helmets incorporating a rear vision mirror set-up, but not a huge seller as this is the defining feature, other features such as colour and shell types/designs are lacking or limited;
  • Costs. The costs of what I could see you developing.........on a personal and more specific basis, and without the cost saving of mass production, I could see the venture not being profitable on a small scale.
  • Battery life as has been mentioned. You would need rechargeable type batteries to start off with, and they would need to be easily accessed and removed. The only problem with all rechargeable batteries is you get very little to no warning that they are going flat, before your device simply powers off. You would need some sort of visual led or indicator on the helmet giving you an indication of battery life left, or you could find yourself in the event of a crash with an empty video log, due to battery going flat. And then that would defeat the entire purpose. So it would have to be an easily accessible, easily changeable battery system. It would definitely need to run off standard rechargeable batteries available to buy in your supermarket, otherwise that would be an extra cost not only in manufacturing for you, but in cost for end user if they have to buy another more expensive battery that is specific to that product. Internal rechargeable batteries that are not standard products has been a defining reason for me on many purchases towards the cons of the product.
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that takes the video riding thing that seriously that doesnt already own a go-pro anyway. And with the awesome battery life that they offer, and the fact that you can record quite some time worth of footage and in HD, you would have to come up with a camera with similar features, for a lower price than the go-pro is marketed at to get people to seriously take a look. And you can already buy very small HD action cams, that will attach to your helmet and other areas for very little cost.

Honestly I think it wouldnt be a profitable venture to undertake and it would be a very small and niche target audience.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also, you could have it plug into the bike via usb so batteries are not an issue, if not on the bike then it could be recharged at home. rechargable/Replaceable and readable batteries like the Contour camera batteries would be good.
having it record over the last ten minutes indefinitely until a collision sensor or button is pressed would be cool.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use a Drift Ghost HD on my helmet. I like the features of it more than the GoPro, which I also own. On the Ghost you can rotate the lense to fit your mounting point, the remote is great and the built in lcd screen. I use my GoPro in my car as my dash cam, it's great for that.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Had a friend that installed two bullet cams linked to a small dvr, it was hard wired to the bike and would start recording when the bike was on. He used a 8gb sd card which it would re-write over once full yet would net 4 hours of video at any time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts