Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As tittle indicates; would it be safe to set the bike on a rear stand, and run it through the gears? Any dangers? :what:

- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

·
Registered
865 Posts
only if your stand is weak, then there is a BIG danger, there is also a danger it may slip off the stand..

But besides that, runnign throught the gears on a stand is really a bad way to learn, take the MSF course, they walk you through evrything very well. and its on their machines, so no worries if you crash hahaha

Basically take is SLOW with the clutch and give it maybe 2.5 or 3k rpm's and just rock back and forth using the clutch. find that point in your clutch where it starts to give power to the rear wheels and play wit it till it becomes comfortable, then start to literally walk with the bike using the clutch, then ride slowly, then get used to first gear. practice all your slow maneuvers in first, turning and stuff, then shift to second and practice more maneuvers etc etc

Reactions: Sebi

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply
I just wanted to know if its safe to get the feel of tge gears and how the bike shifts :)
Apart from the rear stand what would I need to buy? Spools or sliders?
Thanks again :thumbup:

- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

·
Registered
121 Posts
As tittle indicates; would it be safe to set the bike on a rear stand, and run it through the gears? Any dangers? :what:
Even with a Pitbull rear stand, I wouldn't recommend it just because there's always that 1% of chance that things might go really wrong.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see your point.
I guess it might just not be worth it then :p
But I'd still like to try and go through all the gears on a stand.
If there are any problems; I'd like to find them in my garage, not on the road :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The stands is not the weak point the issue is the weld on the spool mount breaking, its more common than your may think

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see your point.
I guess it might just not be worth it then :p
But I'd still like to try and go through all the gears on a stand.
If there are any problems; I'd like to find them in my garage, not on the road :rolleyes:
Maybe you can do it once but not continuously. Generally, there won't be any problem. Even if there is on the road, you can hold in the clutch anytime and that would help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stands is not the weak point the issue is the weld on the spool mount breaking, its more common than your may think
Good point thanks :D

High quality sliders/spools would probably be a good idea then :cool:

·
Registered
865 Posts
But honestly, first gear is the hardest, the rest are no brainier, and much quicker to shift, requires less smoothness in the clutch, its pretty much pop and go.

doing this on the stand is really a bad idea. I'm standing firm on that one.

your trying to tackle a mountain by getting air lifted tot he top without first learning to climb. your gonna fall and get hurt.

I dont want to see/hear about anyone getting hurt, especially things that they were warned against.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess i was confused by this post in the new riders section...

As far as making mistakes, I recommend getting frame sliders as soon as the ones for the 300 are available. The "fits all models Kawasaki" swingarm spools fit the 300, so if you even wanted to just get used to shifting, get a pair of those little critters and get yourself a stand. Prop the back end up, hop on the bike, turn 'er on and practice your shifting! On the aside: the hex keys that come with the bike's tool kit don't fit the universal spools, so if you don't have a separate collection already, you'll need to go pick some up. (I do not kid about shift practice on the stand. I did that with my boyfriend's Jixxer 600. Totally stable and safe.)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Good point thanks :D

High quality sliders/spools would probably be a good idea then :cool:
No I am refering to the actual point that the spool screws into. There is is that nut welded to the swingarm that the spool screws into. I have seen TONS of threads that talk about the weld on that nut breaking and the bike falling off the stand, from the weight of the bike alone :eek:

I would say its safest just to get into a parking lot and practice. Plus with no load on the actual wheel its going to be hard to tell when the clutch engages..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree
Tahnks for your input...

Now I just gotta find a parking lot near me xD

·
Registered
865 Posts
good luck buddy!

Go with a friend, just in case, preferably one thats driven bikes beofre

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I began to stretch before riding and also adjusted my position on the bike (scooting more towards the front) and the hip soreness has disappeared. Thanks for the recommendations! I was hoping it wasn't and everyday thing.
Ill go with my dad who rode motorcycles alot when he was younger... :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to give you an idea of what he rode: this is his bike "Mobra 50"
50cc 2-stroke
He worked many hours for that bike and was extremly tied to it... Modded it like crazy... He made an electrical start to and modded it to 88cc

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plan is, I get into riding and I convince him to as well.
He has back pains and still thinks bikes shake and vibrate like crazy... Hows the ninja 250/300 vibration wise? I really want him to get back in it :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
if he has back issues a ninja actually may nto be the best bet for him.. because your leaning forward.. the vibrations not bad, but tis not a super cush ride like on other style bikes, they are meant for a sportier feel. aka stiffer in many ways.

Vibrations negligable compared to his old bike for sure, but I would let him test ride a few style bikes before throwing hard earned cash down for one, for his back its prob not the vibration thats to worry its the seating postion he shoudl worry about, thats my opinion, a cruiser is prob the best bet, but its up to him, lol

·
Registered
958 Posts
No way should you do that. You could have the bike come off the stand. If you take a scooter and start the motor and rev it up while it is on its center stand, the scooter will start scooting backwards sliding across the floor while bucking and jumping. Add shifting gears to this and you could easily have the bike jumping off the spools, especially if the vibration loosened the screws holding the rear stand fork or broke them. The weakest point is probably the screw holding your stand fork in place. If one of those gives or just loosens enough with all the vibration to allow the fork to rotate, it would be a disaster.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wouldn't be very fun to fall of the stand going 30 mph. I can imagine that'd be quite a shock haha.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if he has back issues a ninja actually may nto be the best bet for him.. because your leaning forward.. the vibrations not bad, but tis not a super cush ride like on other style bikes, they are meant for a sportier feel. aka stiffer in many ways.

Vibrations negligable compared to his old bike for sure, but I would let him test ride a few style bikes before throwing hard earned cash down for one, for his back its prob not the vibration thats to worry its the seating postion he shoudl worry about, thats my opinion, a cruiser is prob the best bet, but its up to him, lol
He.hates.cruisers.
Absolutely despises them
He said if he gets one its gonna be a sport for sure as thats all he wanted as a kid xD
I was trying to tell him of sport-cruiser crossover (If you know what I me) but he says no way they're to powerful xD Compared to his 50cc even the ninja 300 is "powerfull"
When I get my Ninja I'll let him ride it (ofc) and see how he likes it. Then the only challenge for him will be convincing the wifey :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts