Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has been sitting all summer. I want to drain the tank, fill with new gas with fuel stabilizer in it before winter. Would it be bad to just run it at idle in the driveway till it runs out of gas? It's fuel injected, so it should be fine, or will it do damage?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've asked a similar question here:

Seems like it's no problem to run it dry. There's a video linked where a guy rides it until it quits. He fills it with 1 liter of petrol after that and it starts right up.

·
Registered
548 Posts
By the way, I don't think what you intend to do is really necessary. The fuel stabilizer should be sufficient.

I have all sorts of gas/petrol equipment that have nothing added to them, and they are perfectly fine, year after year.
The whole "old fuel" paranoia is a bit overblown, in my opinion.
If you intend to leave an engine for yearS, sure, but for a few months I don't see the big issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I don't think what you intend to do is really necessary. The fuel stabilizer should be sufficient.

I have all sorts of gas/petrol equipment that have nothing added to them, and they are perfectly fine, year after year.
The whole "old fuel" paranoia is a bit overblown, in my opinion.
If you intend to leave an engine for yearS, sure, but for a few months I don't see the big issue.
Last summer I didn't stabilize the fuel and this spring it cost me $500 to drain the tank. I'd rather run it out of gas.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow, never heard anything like that.
Draining it sounds like a cheaper solution for sure! (y)

·
Registered
79 Posts
That shouldn't happen... I've found even after many months of sitting, every bike in my garage always fires right up. That said, the gas definitely goes 'stale', and runs a little weird. But definitely doesn't need to be drained and filled with good gas. I've even had water get in my tank (crappy gas cap, heavy rain that day) and it made the bike run poorly, obviously, but I just rode it until it ate through all the water, and all was good.

If I am storing the bike though, I try to put 91+ in it, because if it degrades, it will still have a higher octane than 87, and it may have slightly more fuel additives that help. May I ask where you stored the bike when you had to pay up to drain it? I usually literally park my bikes inside my home when I will be gone for an extended amount of time, to keep them in climate control and away from any moisture. Obviously not everyone has that luxury, but if its possible, its worth doing IMO.

If your fuel was so bad that it wouldn't run period, then I am not sure a simple fuel additive will save it from becoming that way again if you store the bike the same way...

-Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could get a cheap siphon pump to empty most of the fuel out for another vehicle first, adding fresh (with stabilizer) would then with fine.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
In the old days of my 4 cylinder carbureted Interceptor, I knew I had three or four months before the gas would clog the jets and demand a carbs cleaning, which was a real pain in that bike.
I guess it depends on the quality of the fuel as well.
Never had that problem with a fuel injected bike.

Anyways, I would siphon out as much fuel as I can, then I would pour at least a gallon of fresh fuel and before start it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
How much gas is in the tank now and how old is it? If you don't think it's old or bad, and there isn't much, I wouldn't worry about draining it.

If you did want to remove it, I would also do something else instead of just letting it idle. Can't you ride it until it's low?

When you are ready to fill-up, add stabilizer and then fill with ethanol-free gas. Ethanol free lasts a lot longer, even without stabilizer, than gas with ethanol. I would only use Premium if it's the only option without ethanol. Be sure the run the engine with the stabilized gas for a bit before putting it away to make sure it gets into the injectors.

I do this every year, and the cycle fires right up and runs through the tank no problem in spring. For the first fresh tank each season I add 1oz per gal of Techron Concentrate. It keeps the valves, injector, and combustion chamber clear of deposits. I actually do it once a year, after winter, it in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much gas is in the tank now and how old is it? If you don't think it's old or bad, and there isn't much, I wouldn't worry about draining it.

If you did want to remove it, I would also do something else instead of just letting it idle. Can't you ride it until it's low?

When you are ready to fill-up, add stabilizer and then fill with ethanol-free gas. Ethanol free lasts a lot longer, even without stabilizer, than gas with ethanol. I would only use Premium if it's the only option without ethanol. Be sure the run the engine with the stabilized gas for a bit before putting it away to make sure it gets into the injectors.

I do this every year, and the cycle fires right up and runs through the tank no problem in spring. For the first fresh tank each season I add 1oz per gal of Techron Concentrate. It keeps the valves, injector, and combustion chamber clear of deposits. I actually do it once a year, after winter, it in all my vehicles.
I would ride it, but I hurt my leg a month ago. Riding won't happen for a few months, which is winter.

·
Registered
548 Posts
To answer the OP's main question further: I don't believe there is a problem at all in running the Ninja 300 dry.
Here's the video again that shows a guy running the Ninja 300 out of gas, and simply filling it up again, and restarting it.
I don't think this would be any different if the bike was running at idle and stationary, as OP wants to do.

For your viewing pleasure & convenience, the following video link is customized so that it starts EXACTLY at the relevant part
(and by the way, the bike starts right up again after he fills it with 1l gas):

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would say briefly running it dry, and then putting gas in it next time you try to turn on the bike, nah not very much. Any extended operation dry could be damaging though. As long as you dont regularly run it dry, shouldn't be an issue.

-Mike

·
Registered
548 Posts
I mean, there really shouldn't be ANY damage running it dry, as that could happen 'naturally'. I've run out of gas with cars a couple of times, although never with the MC.
It would be a poor design IF damage would occur for running it dry, IMO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it good for the fuel pump to run it dry though?
I would say briefly running it dry, and then putting gas in it next time you try to turn on the bike, nah not very much. Any extended operation dry could be damaging though. As long as you dont regularly run it dry, shouldn't be an issue.

-Mike
I was thinking the fuel pump and plugs. Idling is bad for carbon build up. Idling 1/4 tank can't be good for the plugs.
I know that because it isn't carburated, I don't need to fight to get fuel back in a carburetor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news!

I had a bout 3/4 of a tank. I started it, ran it on a high idle and at the same time siphoned the tank empty. I let it run out of fuel. I then filled it with stabilized fuel. It should be good for winter.

Reactions: MAL

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good news!

I had a bout 3/4 of a tank. I started it, ran it on a high idle and at the same time siphoned the tank empty. I let it run out of fuel. I then filled it with stabilized fuel. It should be good for winter.
Did you start it and run it with the stabilized fuel?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts