Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know if anyone here has actually rode the Ninja 300 until it run out of gas, and what the 'procedure' is to get it going again?

Looking at a fairly long trip and wanted to find out if you can simply pour in a quart (approx. ~1 liter) of reserve fuel if the Ninja runs out of gas, press the start-button and away she goes again....for about 12 to 16 miles?
My guess is, it might be better to simply pour in the reserve fuel preemptively, once the last bar starts to blink (indicating 0.9 gal/3.5 liters)?

For those who endeavor on longer trips and take a reserve tank with you, what size/capacity do you use?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I did a 1200 mi weekend trip a year or so ago on my SV650n, and brought a small 1L bottle of gas as a back-up. Never needed it - but it was close...

I had figured on my average MPG, but we were running faster than normal and it was windy. Mileage was down significantly, and I was only getting about 150 mi before the gas light was flickering, meaning I had about a half gal left. That meant a little over 20 mi, or maybe 25 if we dropped our speed a bit.

We were in Missouri and downstate Illinois, and at times there wasn't much around. I was riding with my oldest son on his VFR800, and he carried about a gal more than I did. He was getting about the same MPG.

Next time I would bring more back-up fuel, and also a siphon hose.

I wouldn't run a F.I. system completely out of fuel if you can help it.

Are you riding alone? How far? What area?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a GREAT trip!
You were only getting 170 miles to 175 miles to the tank (on the SV650)?? Yikes!

Yeah, I am a little concerned about running the fuel injection system out of fuel, and was wondering if it will simply 'kick in' once it gets fuel again....I guess I could try it here under a 'controlled' situation....

Planning on visiting my daughter in Pittsburgh from Northeast PA.
Aye, alone.
It's pretty close to exactly 300 miles, and I'd like to try and do it on ONE tank of gas for kicks.....but I've never actually achieved that MPG so far, so it would be a definite challenge!
Would need 67 mpg or better to get this done! So far, I am averaging 55 mpg or so, but then again, that's mostly just hooning around on local roads! 🧐 😵

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so I watched a few videos.....

This guy runs it 'dry', fills up one liter and it starts right up again (link takes you to relevant section):

And this guy got 62.5mpg (impressive!), on the highway:

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
Well, when I emptied my tank to replace it, the bike started right up once it had fuel again. I was expecting to need to prime it or have it stutter, but it popped right off when I hit the button.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, when I emptied my tank to replace it, the bike started right up once it had fuel again. I was expecting to need to prime it or have it stutter, but it popped right off when I hit the button.

Awesome, and good to know. I would have expected the same thing, and was a little concerned. Apparently I don't need to be worried! :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mal - 300 miles out of one tank on the Ninja? Has anyone ever gone 300 miles on a tank? I just filled up today after the light started blinking at ~175 miles. I added 3.4 gal but it wasn't completely full while level, only full while on the sidestand. I always estimate my max miles per tank (conservatively) at 225 (50 mpg x 4.5 gal).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am skeptical it can be done....maybe with ULTRA conservative driving?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a GREAT trip!
You were only getting 170 miles to 175 miles to the tank (on the SV650)?? Yikes!

Yeah, I am a little concerned about running the fuel injection system out of fuel, and was wondering if it will simply 'kick in' once it gets fuel again....I guess I could try it here under a 'controlled' situation....

Planning on visiting my daughter in Pittsburgh from Northeast PA.
Aye, alone.
It's pretty close to exactly 300 miles, and I'd like to try and do it on ONE tank of gas for kicks.....but I've never actually achieved that MPG so far, so it would be a definite challenge!
Would need 67 mpg or better to get this done! So far, I am averaging 55 mpg or so, but then again, that's mostly just hooning around on local roads! 🧐 😵
I typically get 50+ for MPG, on the hwy or in-town, but we were running an actual 80 mph and it was windy. Mileage was in the low 40-range. The SV caries 4.5 gal total, so after 160 miles or so I was down to half a gal. Not good when you are out in the middle of nowhere. My SV is a naked model, so nowhere to hide on the hwy.

MPG is all in the speed. I've got over 60 MPG on backroads in the 40 to 60 MPH range. Mileage typically peaks around 45 MPH for most vehicles, and it's all downhill from there. Running too slow on the Interstate is dangerous, so you are stuck going with the flow.

You probably want get something to eat and stretch a bit anyway, so stopping for gas isn't a bad thing.

A Double Bubble type windshield may help your comfort and mileage also.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My Ninja 650 tops out approx 82 mpg per the display with +1/-4 sprockets and no tucking, buuut I have to keep it around 60-65 mph in the slow lane. Hitting 300 miles in one tank (4.0g) would be sketchy and boring. I guess the lower revs (4K) is an mpg advantage.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MPG is all in the speed. I've got over 60 MPG on backroads in the 40 to 60 MPH range. Mileage typically peaks around 45 MPH for most vehicles, and it's all downhill from there. Running too slow on the Interstate is dangerous, so you are stuck going with the flow.

You probably want get something to eat and stretch a bit anyway, so stopping for gas isn't a bad thing.

A Double Bubble type windshield may help your comfort and mileage also.
Aye, and thanks for the insight.
I am thinking of doing the trip all sans highway/Interstate. So all backroads.
And the Winter Test Edition already has a larger-than-normal windscreen, I believe?
But maybe I should lose some weight first....that may significantly improve my chances of making the trip on one tank of gas! 🍟🍔🌭🧀🥤🍰

My Ninja 650 tops out approx 82 mpg per the display with +1/-4 sprockets and no tucking, buuut I have to keep it around 60-65 mph in the slow lane. Hitting 300 miles in one tank (4.0g) would be sketchy and boring. I guess the lower revs (4K) is an mpg advantage.
That's impressive!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have changed the front sprocket to a 15T one, so that may help a little.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Aye, and thanks for the insight.
I am thinking of doing the trip all sans highway/Interstate. So all backroads.
And the Winter Test Edition already has a larger-than-normal windscreen, I believe?
But maybe I should lose some weight first....that may significantly improve my chances of making the trip on one tank of gas! 🍟🍔🌭🧀🥤🍰

That's impressive!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have changed the front sprocket to a 15T one, so that may help a little.
An article I saw many years ago on Land Speed Racing showed that a larger person actually filled the low pressure void behind the windscreen better than a smaller person - within reason. Tight fitting leathers are a must. Anything flapping kills aero efficiency.

Not sure about the WTE windscreen, but taller is generally better. It increases frontal area, but still gives an overall aero improvement from what I've seen.

I have also installed a +1 countershaft sprocket on my SV, but it didn't really affect mileage. I used it to drop my cruising RPMs into a smoother range. With the stock gearing it was sitting at a higher vibration level, and the gearing change put it in a better spot.

If you are on backroads at moderate speeds I would expect you would be getting great mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts