Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife are new to riding and both bought ninja 300. Mine being a 2014 and hers a 2015. Both are ABS.I bought mine used from a guy and I'm starting to get nervous he didn't maintain it very well. I put mine on stands and started rotating the front tire and can hear the front brakes rubbing alot. I know they will slightly and that's normal but this seems much louder than my wife's. Hoping it's just front brake pads need replaced and not something worse here is a video of the sound. Thanks in advanced for any help.

·
Registered
330 Posts
2 new bikes, way to go! I'd first start off by pulling the caliper apart and clean everything up, making sure the slide pins are cleaned and freshly lubed. Lots of youtube videos out there explaining this in detail if you're new to this. You'll be able to tell if your pads are worn out or worn very unevenly. I'd also clean up the rotor with brake cleaner and a scotchbrite pad. This should be a good start.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It sounds kind of noisy, but it doesn't look like it's slowing down the wheel significantly.

How many miles on your noisy bike? If it's low miles, maybe those pads are still the stock pads. Some pads gets noisy when age and don't get much use. It may go away after you start riding it often and wear out a bit.
Anyways, if you don't know the history of the bike, it's a good idea to do a service to that front brake; clean the caliper flush the fluid and check the pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 new bikes, way to go! I'd first start off by pulling the caliper apart and clean everything up, making sure the slide pins are cleaned and freshly lubed. Lots of youtube videos out there explaining this in detail if you're new to this. You'll be able to tell if your pads are worn out or worn very unevenly. I'd also clean up the rotor with brake cleaner and a scotchbrite pad. This should be a good start.
Ok I will give that a try thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds kind of noisy, but it doesn't look like it's slowing down the wheel significantly.

How many miles on your noisy bike? If it's low miles, maybe those pads are still the stock pads. Some pads gets noisy when age and don't get much use. It may go away after you start riding it often and wear out a bit.
Anyways, if you don't know the history of the bike, it's a good idea to do a service to that front brake; clean the caliper flush the fluid and check the pads.
11 thousand o

It has 11k miles on it currently.had about 10500 when I bought it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type lube should i be using?

·
Registered
481 Posts
11 thousand o

It has 11k miles on it currently.had about 10500 when I bought it
At 11k miles you can't know. If the previous owner was one of those that mainly use the rear brake, then the front ones may be still stock, but if he was using the front brake often, then he must have changed them at some point.

Does the bike brake well? If it does and the pads are still thick, then I would keep them to see if they stop making the noise after a while. If they are half way worn or more, I would change them. A stock set of pads go for $30 I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 11k miles you can't know. If the previous owner was one of those that mainly use the rear brake, then the front ones may be still stock, but if he was using the front brake often, then he must have changed them at some point.

Does the bike brake well? If it does and the pads are still thick, then I would keep them to see if they stop making the noise after a while. If they are half way worn or more, I would change them. A stock set of pads go for $30 I guess.
Yea I mean it seems to stop pretty good. But I'm unsure on what is good for a motorcycle. Looking at the pads in areas I can see them do not seem the be thick at all

·
Registered
330 Posts
lube is a tricky subject..kind of like oil...but I use silicone grease on my caliper slide pins. Some use regular brake grease but that can swell rubber boots, others use synthetic brake grease with good results. You really don't need any lube or grease on your caliper itself...just make sure it is very clean (toothbrush, soapy water, brake kleen). Again, tons of youtube videos on cleaning motorcycle brake calipers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts