Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have 1500 miles on my new 300 and I was wondering what is considered normal and what is considered abuse in regards to how high I let the rpm's go before I shift to the next gear. I took my bike out today and for an experiment I didn't shift until 9 or 10 on the RPM's and I have to say it was quite fun. If I do that consistently will I be damaging the motor or is the ninja made for high rmp's shifting? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Too high = red zone. Anything under that is safe, albeit not necessarily useful. Obviously, consistently running the engine at higher than necessary RPMs will shorten its lifespan, but the same applies to all engines.

Shift when it feels like you need to shift.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
When I just putt around town I shift around 5k. For just normal driving I don't see the need to shift at 10k

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You can hold it wide till the ignition cuts out. Stock it is just making noise above 10,500 anyway.

You won't hurt anything unless you force it past redline like by running it down hill or downshifting to a gear far too low for the RPMs to be covered, like 1st gear at 90 MPH.

On a flat road or uphill, it will just run into the limiter and stay at 13k.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
you can hold it wide till the ignition cuts out. Stock it is just making noise above 10,500 anyway.

You won't hurt anything unless you force it past redline like by running it down hill or downshifting to a gear far too low for the rpms to be covered, like 1st gear at 90 mph.

On a flat road or uphill, it will just run into the limiter and stay at 13k.
lol

·
Registered
958 Posts
People who race bikes would change the oil every 3 track days or so and check the valves about the same. In other words it is much harder on the engine, brakes, and tires to be riding very aggressively up near redline.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Oil maybe, and tires and brakes do wear out faster when used harder but the Ninja 300 can run all the time at redline and stay within the recommended valve check intervals.

I check my race bike valves once a year. :eek:

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Since it drops off power at 10,500 it is, but with a tune it pulls all the way. :eek:

Truth is, unlike the 250 which you kinda needed to just about redline to make move, the 300 is a midrange motor. I usually run it below 8k in normal sporty riding. If conditions allow it though, it'll spin up high till the next corner.

It is perfectly safe to run it within the redline. Kawi has been building these twins since the mid 1980s, they know all about piston speed and oil control. It is electronically limited to prevent valve float. With different springs I'm sure it could run at 15k all day long without issue.

It wasn't a thread about what you need, it was about how high it can rev. ;)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Since it drops off power at 10,500 it is, but with a tune it pulls all the way. :eek:

Truth is, unlike the 250 which you kinda needed to just about redline to make move, the 300 is a midrange motor. I usually run it below 8k in normal sporty riding. If conditions allow it though, it'll spin up high till the next corner.

It is perfectly safe to run it within the redline. Kawi has been building these twins since the mid 1980s, they know all about piston speed and oil control. It is electronically limited to prevent valve float. With different springs I'm sure it could run at 15k all day long without issue.

It wasn't a thread about what you need, it was about how high it can rev. ;)
Ah OK, I agree.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Around town I try not to exceed 6500 - 8000 RPM. I almost always immediately shift out of 1st gear at 5000 RPM.

Dying to get my 15T front sprocket and make it more useable.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
. I took my bike out today and for an experiment I didn't shift until 9 or 10 on the RPM's and I have to say it was quite fun. If I do that consistently will I be damaging the motor or is the ninja made for high rmp's shifting? Thanks.
you wont be damaging the motor running that high. around about there the power drops off anyhow.dont forget the bike has a rev limiter anyhow so you wont make it rain engine parts for half an hour if decide to try and over rev the engine

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What is a 15T front sprocket? Are you saying that first gear is more usable with it? Can you tell me more about it and how to install it? First gear is awful on the 300......
This is your best friend: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/12-ninja-300-appearance-modifications/1556-installing-15t-front-sprocket.html

300 comes with a 14T front sprocket. Swapping it out for a 15T will make the gears more useable, Higher speeds in gears and lower RPM. First gear screams and makes it no fun with a 14T from the factory.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Old it just seems to me that it is pointless running at red line all the time.
what??? you mean riding round town in 1st gear at red line is why i go thru a tank of fuel every 100 kilometres i travel???

surely you cant be serious???:p

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I imagine running in the higher revs more often just means you'll have to pay attention to your oil changes more. Higher revs more consistently would decrease the useful life of your oil faster. As long as you keep the oil in good condition the engine should be fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1st gear with the +1 mod is awesome in slow moving traffic
The usability of 1st gear was another question I've always wondered about. Is first gear really designed that narrow? Or was it designed to shift at much higher rpm's? In the past I've shifted out of 1st at about 4 or 5 because it just sounds like it needs to be shifted. But now I'm finding first gear much more usable if I rev it up to 7 or 8. Is that the way it's suppose to be used? It's stupid to design a 1st gear if it only gets you a few feet before I need to shift again. Kawasaki isn't stupid......so I'm thinking maybe I just wasn't using first gear correctly in the past.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts