Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and today I went for a ride to the park like I do alot. Then thought I would head off to some nice twisties nearby.

BUT my intuition or whatever was saying NOT to go and my head starts tripping about hitting a car. I thought -- these are just random cautious thoughts and I headed off anyway.

Everything was going great and I had not seen one car. I was heading back and was in some VERY tight switch-backs when a STRONG wave of anxiety hit me and I slowed and pulled far from the center line. As I approached a blind turn a white van came around way over in my lane and only saw me almost stopped and over to the side -- at the last second. He swerved and went by.

If I had not slowed and pulled over we probably would have collided. :eek:

Anyone else listen to gut feelings when riding? I will for now on. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good on ya. Lately, I've been encountering cars passing bicyclists across the DY on blind corners. So, yes keep anticipating something "fresh" around that next corner :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I always pay attention to how I feel before riding and sometimes decide not to ride if I don't feel fully "in the mood". Anything less than full concentration when riding is just too big a risk to take.

I can't say I've ever had a premonition such as you described but I did have a passenger in my car once who asked me to stop for a few minutes due to her intuition that we were in danger of an accident if we continued. I stopped as requested and then we continued on without incident. Whether anything bad would have happened if I hadn't stopped we'll never know. But it didn't hurt to stop for a moment or two.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Well, I don't subscribe to any idea of premonition, but using good judgment literally saved my life on a tight backroad here. I was going up a twisty and heavily favoring my side around blind corners. On one corner, some lifted truck comes barreling down using BOTH lanes around a blind corner. I would have been smashed had I not been way over on my side. Who knows how bad it would have been.

Your gut is one thing, but I find a healthy dose of logic, reason and some prudence to be a lifesaver-literally.

Sure, it can be frustrating to crawl around blind turns only to see clear road, but the day your well-founded caution saves your life you won't care about shaving a few seconds on your canyon run.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I tend to not listen to my brain in general lol. Once I was going for a drive and I said no to myself. Reason being I was getting bad vibes. I didnt listen to myself 5 mins into the drive I imagined my hood flying up and nearly making me wreck and less than a minute later bam hood popped up. Even riding when I went down, I was coming home and theres two ways I couldve gone to get home. I had a bad feeling about taking a left and said screw it. I went left as soon as I took the corner a hose that was left out I didnt see cause it was dark wrapped up my tire and I went down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
390 Posts
I always pay attention to how I feel before riding and sometimes decide not to ride if I don't feel fully "in the mood". Anything less than full concentration when riding is just too big a risk to take.
I think this type of awareness is key and that's pretty much how I feel as well. If you know you're not feeling up to it, or you're not 100% "in the game," then you don't need to ride and should probably take a break, as you are a potential hazard toward yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Granted, there is a difference between the honest little voice in your head and our tendency to rationalize it away.

'Dude. dont marry her, she will probably cheat on you.'
Ratinalization; 'Nah. She says she won't, and besides we spent all this money on invitations and a dress.'

Year later, she cheats.

The voice in your head is notably distinct from an idea of premonition, since your brain is assessing variables more-honestly than the part of your brain that tries to explain them away (usually because they're inconvenient or scary).

When in doubt, listen to that little voice-honestly. Sometimes, as others have mentioned, it's us who isn't up for the ride or a challenging road for any given reason, and then it's good to slow down or avoid the ride altogether or use extra caution. Sometimes, your friends are nutters or too fast for you, and the little voice is telling you to slow down because you're riding scared and dangerously.

Just to be clear, your intuition is powerful, but it's not psychic phenomena. It's your brain sensing variables you may have missed consciously...like thinking someone is suspicious at an ATM while your rational brain berates you for being sexist, racist, prejudiced, etc. Basically, your inner voice is brutally honest. Listen to it without prejudice on-occasion while considering that it could be wrong, too.

On the back road where I almost got killed, my little voice noted the emptiness of the road and considered that some dumbass nutter would assume nobody was around and drive straight through the tight chicanes. It was right. Glad I listened.

Reactions: GreenSmitten

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that intuition is sorta logic-inductive-thinking, processed from your life experiences and how you have decided to think about them. Premonitions are something else that are harder to define and not available to everyone. Either way, it is a good thing to scan your vista and process possible scenarios and also be alert to stuff going on in your head, heart and gut.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Its ok to listen to your fears but don't let them take over your mind cause your brain dosent work like that
Its recording all the time everythin bad or not,better be positive and sure
We would be too afraid to die every moment of our life
We all will one day

·
Registered
390 Posts
Intuition is merely an unconscious way your brain picks up patterns or observes them, then recognizes those patterns, puts them together and assesses it from there, to create a "mental picture." Some people are good at it and more attuned or aware, while others are not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts