Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Been kind of on the D/L lately, work's making my time fly (you can ask that guy who's wife is a CPA - he'll understand).

Tomorrow is the day I am scheduled to take home my Ninja 300. I'm a little concerned as it's going to be my first time ever on a sports bike (MSF class was a bunch of 250cc Yamaha cruiser-type bikes). What are some common rookie mistakes? Helpful tips? I need everything you can throw at me in the next ~15 hours to mentally prepare myself for this.

You guys are amazing

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Awesome :D

My advice, give yourself LOTS of distance between other cars.. Its all new to you it will give you time and space if a mistake is made..

·
Registered
90 Posts
First time ride on street will be THE BEST MOMENT .

Slow and follow what you learn on MSF . It very easy .

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
biggest thing is to just relax. maybe get a feel for the clutch before you leave the parking lot (will save you from stalling in an intersection). other than that, sit back and enjoy the ride!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
giving it a bunch of gas as you pull outa the dealership laying it on the side. And if you grab a hand full of front brake.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of great input so far, thanks guys.

I'm a little iffy about my gear.. specifically pants. I've been trying to get my hands on a pair of over-pants to protect my knees/hips but all the sellers ended up bailing on me (craigslist/kijiji). I do have everything else though - Helmet (brand new), jacket, gloves, boots.

I'm considering maybe wearing knee pads under my pants for now...

·
Registered
487 Posts
^+1 to getting a feel for the clutch, keeping traffic space, parking lot practice.

Get a good feel for the weight of the bike. Know the route you are taking home well. Have someone follow you in their car - will give you a good buffer between stranger traffic/tailgaters.

Don't panic or target fixate and have a good time. Welcome to the club ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Aside from reiterating what everyone else, i also took an msf course only and rode off on a new black 300.... everything went fine, i went to a parking lot to practice for like 30 minutes...

But wait, i also took it off the lot on a 60speed limit road... scared the crap outa me since i only went like 20 in the msf.. you will be fine, just use common sense and fundamental riding technique. One small problem i had was my back brake locked in my apartment complex parking lot but i was fine and did not drrop the bike..

now i have 4k miles in under 3 months! =-D what color you getting?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dude, I'm totally picking mine up tomorrow too! (a green one), I learned on a gladius and haven't really properly ridden a bike in 3 months so I'll just try to get a good feel for it on the lot I guess.

Anyhoo, can't give you any advice but at least you're not alone if that helps :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
When shifting up from 1st gear. Make sure to positively click it into 2nd gear. Preload the shifter and click in firmly. Sometimes, it's loose and will drop back down to first if you half ass the shift. Not something you want to deal with if it's your first ride in the street.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Damn, I hope the ride isn't too long. High of -3C tomorrow :(
Yeah, I had to scroll back up and double check who OP was...

PDC, it's literally going to be freezing cold tomorrow. -12C with the windchill (and don't forget you'll be on a motorcycle, so crank that down even further).

I would strongly advise against riding it home in this weather without any prior experience on the road.

There's salt, sand, and ice on every street corner. You'll probably lose all feeling in your fingers and toes after 2 minutes (have fun shifting), and you don't have full protective gear yet, let alone insulated/heated gear.

It's not worth it man :( Either wait for a warmer day or have the dealer deliver it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yeah, I had to scroll back up and double check who OP was...

PDC, it's literally going to be freezing cold tomorrow. -12C with the windchill (and don't forget you'll be on a motorcycle, so crank that down even further).

I would strongly advise against riding it home in this weather without any prior experience on the road.

There's salt, sand, and ice on every street corner. You'll probably lose all feeling in your fingers and toes after 2 minutes (have fun shifting), and you don't have full protective gear yet, let alone insulated/heated gear.

It's not worth it man :( Either wait for a warmer day or have the dealer deliver it.
Yeaa, I'm getting mine next week, but it will definitely be arriving on a trailer. As a very inexperienced rider, it could be asking for trouble. You wouldn't be the first to ride their Ninja 300 home in cold conditions. I think some guy on here from Norway managed to pull it off already...but I think he was an experienced rider.

·
Registered
344 Posts
They said "sport bike", hehehe... You must work for my insurance company.

Just kidding, enjoy your first ride. The less travel roads by vehicles home will be the best and most fun ride. Heck, those are the best ones for any ride.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
I have rode the bike in 2 snow storms with snow on the road and it was just fine. I also have been riding for some time and have crashed one bike in the snow. Once you start riding with out good gear on you start only thinking about how cold you are. If you had good heated gear id say do it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's only about a 4km ride for me, and it's up a straight road for the most part. I'm going to wear layers under the gear but definitely see your point about road conditions. It is so tempting though, I've been waiting months (err.. years) for this moment. If it doesn't rain or snow before the morning I think I'm going to go for it. If shit hits the fan I will take full responsibility, since the risk has been pointed out, but I don't think I'm being toooo risky! I'm going to take it slow, have my dad drive behind me slowly for extra room, and keep the bike going in a straight line for as much of it as possible.

My patience doesn't usually get the best of me and I hope this is not an exception.

*Fingers crossed*

EDIT: BTW, the bike is Ebony. I plan to add blue accents to it. Actually, I'm still not 100% sure between blue or yellow. Priority right now is to get mileage under my belt :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts