Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some sources say never ride at night. What says the hive? As I'm currently at treasure island on the beach eating a sandwich I'm certain I know how I feel. something very relaxing, tranquil about the night sea breeze that makes me glad I'm out on the bike

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: 2k14

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dunno how relevant this was.. but I talked to one guy, he was a police officer so he would always get off work whenever its pretty dark. He rode his bike going home and hit a deer. Luckily he was ok but bike was totaled

·
Registered
923 Posts
There is NOTHING like riding at night. It's the day riding x 10! Unfortunately, that's the good and the bad x10. Two weeks ago a guy in my town was rear ended by a pick up truck as he waited at a red light. He was thrown 185 feet and died on the scene. I love riding at night, I'm just hesitant to do so anymore. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Funny how things change.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is true that the potential hazards go up at night. Most animal collisions happen after dark, motorcycles and their riders are harder for other motorists to see, it becomes more difficult to see upcoming road hazards and conditions, etc, but I don't think that means you should never ride at night. One of the best tips I've been given as to riding at night is to never out ride your headlight. What that means is you want to keep your minimum stopping distance inside the range of your headlight. Otherwise by the time you see something, it will be too late.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in the library a few Weeks back reading a safety book on riding and chapter 8 went like this: "chapter 8: riding at night

DON'T!

CHAPTER 9: urban commuting"

I immediately placed that book back on the shelf in disbelief at it's heavy handiness

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I'm at the beach right now so no deer threat only peds. Slow speeds well lit and little traffic. I did have what appeared to be a hot chick on another bike wave at me but it's dark how can you tell?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just like riding in the day, you COULD ride at night, but it requires even more attention and skilled riding out of you than day riding.

I wouldn't go near a bike at night without high-viz / reflective gear though.

That said, I regularly go out for fast food runs or rides just for fun late at night.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just like riding in the day, you COULD ride at night, but it requires even more attention and skilled riding out of you than day riding.

I wouldn't go near a bike at night without high-viz / reflective gear though.

That said, I regularly go out for fast food runs or rides just for fun late at night.
lol have you seen my jacket? It makes bananas look dark

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Meh. 60% of my riding so far has been at night. Its no different for me, just colder. I west reflective gear 95% of the time and always ride like I'm invisible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sooooo new nighttime riding experience. Had a guy on a Harley pull up right behind my fender lol. Heard him downshift and thought something fell off my bike until I saw him let go the clutch. Then I thought to myself "huh and I thought my footwork was loud..."

·
Registered
221 Posts
I only ride at night when's necessary other wise I take the car. Theirs too many crazy people out their. Man I ran already a few encounters with people not given a rates ass about a rider on his lane. I love to ride and at night it seems more calm for me. But sometimes I have to thing twice and just take the car.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
nothing wrong with riding at night, unfortunately its just harder for everyone else to see you, and even more so if you have a dark coloured bike and dark coloured riding gear.do your best to make yourself as visible as possible any way possible be it high vis clothing, reflective deals, or what ever

just probably need to be a bit more alert then day riding for the fact your harder to see

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.