Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just starting out in the motorcycle realm and I was wondering if you guys took your bike out before having your motorcycle license. I hear mixed reviews, more saying to just go out and ride. I am taking the class but not anytime soon and I have put around 100 miles on the bike already just around my neighborhood and side streets. Will they impound the bike? fix it ticket? has this happened to you? I live in Vegas for anyone trying to give me elsewhere laws. Rofl thanks all~

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know alot ppl that ride with out it here in Missouri just cuz msf is like $200 to take and the driving test the state make you take is super hard. As long ur not doing stupid stuff u should get pulled over lol. I plain on getting mine soon I get money and a bike if get bike first I mite ride with out it. Idk we will see

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You should not ride without at least a permit. The consequences could be as high as impounding of the bike and have a one year ban from getting your license.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Agreed... your luck can only carry you so far, get a permit, their easy as hell to get. as is the license.

Take the msf course of course too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You could ride for years without it and be the safest rider ever but... Ms. Soccermom with a team in her minivan may make the mistake and not see you. Hit you. Cops show up and ask for all parties Licenses. Now you are busted, busted up, and bikeless. Murphy's Law is a b***h.
Plain and simple, just get your license ASAP. If you can afford a bike/bike payment there is no reason not to take the MSF course. If the test alone is too difficult, probably shouldn't be riding. The test is designed to make sure riders are knowledgeable and capable, not designed to be a fail unless you are just book smart.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The test while it seems hard now is actually pretty easy. Especially when compared to what other countries tests are like. For example the test in Japan for medium class bikes and up would probably make you quit riding altogether compared to the simple DMV test we get here. Take the MSF course and when you pass the MSF course most states honor the MSF's riding test at least and some will honor the written and riding test. All in all, it's worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If your driving around with out an M rating on your license....how exactly do you have insurance for the bike? My agent threw a fit when he discovered although i had completed my test offsite I had never made it to the DMV office and turned the paperwork in. He nearly cancled my policy right then and there.

So if your driving around without a license as well as insurance? Let me knock that idea out of your head right now. Don't do it.

Most motorcycle accidents happen with in a 5 mile radius of your home, at or below 40mph and within the first 12 min of your trip. You are even more likely to be involved in an accident in the first few weeks you own a bike (more so for first time riders). Ontop of that I imagine the area your talking about riding around in is one where you can easily turn around. Or another way to say that is "a place where 2 roads meet" (intersection) which happens to be where 74% of motorcycle accidents occur.

You don't want to have to explain to the cop that your unlicensed, and uninsured. On top of the number of legal reasons this would be bad, if your financing company (if you have one) found out the bike wasn't insured there is no telling what they would do maybe they'd reposess the bike and charge you for repairs, or maybe they just jack up your rate for being reckless. Getting insurance wouldn't be easy after a stunt like that either. And to add insult to injury you'd be paying all repairs, as well as your medical bills out of your own pocket, and don't forget the eventual court fees which will be associated wtih either a ticket, or the legal proceedings you'll have to attend as the the insured drivers insurance company tries to recover what they've spent from you.

If you want to ride, go take your MSF class and get your license. Don't put yourself, your brand new bike and others at risk because you are impatient.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I rode for about two weeks with out my license, I rode at the speed limit and didn't do anything to stupid, I was fine. Yeah riding with out it was stupid but I'm 20 and stupid stuff is my middle name.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would suggest, get your permit, so you can get the insurance while you practice in your neighborhood while saving up the money to take the MSF course. If you get good enough at your practicing, just go take the drivers test, who knows you might pass, if you don't then you have enough of an idea on what to practice so you can pass next time. The MSF course although not manditory in some states is becoming more so in most of them, here in my town the drivers facility does not do motorcycle tests, you HAVE to do an MSF. My wife passed her written test at the MSF but failed her driving test, but they allowed her to come back after some practice and take the driving one again at no extra cost, she passed the second time. Point is....get yer permit, practice, take the test, and if you have to take it again, keep taking it till you pass!
If at once you do not succeed, try, try, again....good words to live by.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Taking the MSF course is also important early on because it helps you to develop the right habits. If you develop the wrong habits now it will be harder to break those bad habits later.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you get pulled over, or in an accident, you're going to be really pissed at yourself, and I would just laugh.

Cost me $250 and I had to take a day off work to take the course required to get an endorsement here in Florida.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are making valid points that I have looked at therefor not really taking the bike out. Have great throttle control around my neighborhood and have been practicing just the basic fundamentals at slow speeds and maneuvering around my neighborhood.

About the Insurance... Uhm I got it when I was at the dealership... $75 bucks from sfarm w/ my car. They let me ride it home w/out my license. Is that abnormal? Lol.
^_^

1 - 20 of 22 Posts