Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I haven't been real active on here yet, but just got a fun box in the mail today, and decided to share my enthusiasm.

So, I got a new job that actually requires professional attire (no jeans), so my kevlar jeans won't cut it for commuting anymore. In addition, I've been on the lookout for a small tank bag to use when I don't need to carry much with me, and so I don't have to mess with latching up my Kriega system. So I ordered from Competition Accessories: their Sliders brand Kevlar slacks and the Icon Primer tank bag.

First, the slacks. I was SHOCKED at how good the quality felt on these. TONS of kevlar, and really thick material, and really comfortable to wear. The knee pad pockets are actually in the right place, so although I tend to use strap-on Knox leg armor, I could rock the internal knee pads if I get lazy (don't come with, but I had some laying around). In the pics below, I am wearing the knee pads in, and my Dianese Armored Shorts underneath. I feel much more protected in this setup than most casual riding gear, and it looks pretty snazzy. My wife came home and thought I was dressing up to go out!

On to the tank bag. I wanted a small bag, since our bikes are small, and this one fits. But that does mean that it won't hold much. For the pics, I just stuffed a throw-blanket in there to puff it out. But I did verify that I can get my iPad in there, so for work, I can expect to get: iPad, book or two, bottle or thermos, lunch, wallet, maybe a few other small things. But it fits the bike great, the magnets are very strong, and it actually looks like it might make a pretty nice pad to rest on during longer interstate hauls. It also comes with cinch down straps on top, so you could put a towel, or tshirt, or the like on top of the bag and cinch it down for a little more storage.

All in all, I'm very happy with both products. If you want a weekend bag, you'll have to go bigger than the Icon. And kevlar isn't as good as leather. But I had been nervous about the quality of the Sliders since I hadn't used them, and went with it based on a recommendation from Cycle World. They are, seriously, the best 'stealth' pants I've tried on. Overlapping kevlar, and the right amount of room for armor underneath. Plus, you can order different waist/length combos, so I could get a 36"-34", which is a 'tall' sizing, usually unavailable.

I obviously haven't used the stuff yet, as they came right as we are preparing for storms here on the east coast. So I took the pics and then covered up the bike. But if you have questions, post 'em up and I'll let you know when I have answers!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice shirt! I was thinking about getting that bag. Thanks for the review

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Haha. Thanks! Yeah, I'm a big fan of this shirt. The funniest thing that it has caused is when I was walking around Georgetown (a super ritzy neighborhood in DC, which is also where I work) wearing it, and a 60 year old woman stopped and asked me what my shirt meant. I fumbled for a solid few seconds, chuckling, trying to figure out what to say! I mean, who says 'f*ck' to a grandma?! Finally she said, "Don't worry boy, my ears aren't virginal, lay it on me." I told her, and she thought it was awesome.

The bag seems great, if the size works for you. And the price is totally right -- $50 pretty much anywhere. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is that wrapped over the tank?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The wrap is CF 3M tank protection kit, custom designed by Lucas at thetankslapper.com. He has some standard designs for the 300, but I wanted the whole tank protected (precisely for getting a tank bag), so he hooked me up with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts