Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys, my ninja was still restricted until recently, it required me to unbolt the throttle assembly.
While i had that off i noticed that the choke was just a lever pushing against the throttle assembly to work.
My question now is how comes now that i put the throttle assembly back is my choke not reaching the throttle? i also had to adjust my idle like mad when i put it back because it wasnt even close... any ideas what i did wrong?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm not sure what part you're referring to, but it's not a choke. The 300 is fuel injected, the ECU takes care of start up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but the actuall choke itself, works by a lever leaning against the throttle to open it and now it doesnt reach

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes thats what was removed but just above it on the right their is a little lever that leans against it when the choke is on to increase the revs and now its not reaching since i took the throttle body off

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
In most fuel injection systems you have cold enrichment based on coolant temperature. You also have higher RPM based on coolant temperature. I have not been inside my bike to the degree that you have, but I think it would be safe to assume what you are describing would be what opens the throttle plate slightly to provide about a 2k RPM engine speed on a cold start.

Do you have fast idle on a cold start?
Do you have normal idle when the engine is warm?

The massive idle adjustment change you describe may be due to the "finger" that opens the throttle plate not being installed-adjusted properly. The "finger" may also be there to delay the RPM drop to idle speed when you let off the throttle.

Without a service manual (probably factory) that would explain the function of the components, you are basically guessing as to the proper function of the components.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
257 Posts
Perhaps he's referring to the "Dual throttle valves" Kawasaki put on here.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/product/ninja-300#kpedia3 Click on the Dual Throttle Valve icon.

On fuel-injected models, throttle bodies generally have only one throttle valve per cylinder. On models with dual throttle valves, there are two throttle valves per cylinder: in addition to the main valves, which are physically linked to the throttle grip and controlled by the rider, a second set of valves, opened and closed by the ECU, precisely regulates intake airflow to ensure a natural, linear response. With the air passing through the throttle bodies becoming smoother, combustion efficiency in improved and power is increased.
Like other Kawasaki engine management technology, Dual Throttle Valves were designed with the philosophy of "following the rider's intention, while providing natural-feeling support." They are featured on many Kawasaki models.
And a picture from their press material

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Mechanic yes the finger part isnt meeting so when it idles on a cold start the bike cuts out :) or if i let off the throttle ive had it cut out since the restrictor was taken out.... so what do i have to do to put it to how it was??

·
Registered
257 Posts
So, when you removed the restrictor, did you like cut it off or remove a whole part? If you removed something, perhaps the restrictor was shimming up and aligning the jive?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
the restrictor was put in like a bolt on so no its not from that even with it in its stil not meetin

I think i might take it off and re seat the throttle assembly and see if that solves it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts