Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few questions about replacing handlebar since I bent my left one when I dropped my baby in the rain. What's the easiest way to get the bar ends off? I have a propane torch I was just hoping I can get the locktite softened up so I don't damage the bolt, is this the best way or should I do something else? Also is the handgrip glued on and if so what's the easiest way to get it off? Lastly how difficult is it to remove the wiring and clutch lever to get the bar off?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
impact driver

if your going to remove the hand grip all toget and replace it, cut it in half with a hobby knife

whenyou slide the new ones on, use an air compressor with a nozzle on it and work your way around the grip. the air will ever so slightly lift the grip off the tube and let it slide on, kinda like a hovercraft effect

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually planning on reusing the handgrip so cutting it won't really be an option. I was thinking a small nail file might be enough to loosen up the glue so I could twist the handgrip off.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Old bmx trick.
I used a wire coat hanger to crack the glue, then boiling water to soften the grip and loosen it off.
When putting the grip back on use hairspray to slide it on, when the hairspray sets the grips not going anywhere.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Old bmx trick.
I used a wire coat hanger to crack the glue, then boiling water to soften the grip and loosen it off.
When putting the grip back on use hairspray to slide it on, when the hairspray sets the grips not going anywhere.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
The old hairspray trick ;) I find (or found back in the old days) that just prying up the grip a little with a screw driver and squirting in some WD-40 using the long tube will break them free with a little twisting and finagling. Just wash the grips real good and use the hair spray when reattaching.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've seen guys on youtube get their old factory grips off the bike by using an air compressor and shooting it under the grip on the motorcycle. This makes the rubber grip balloon out far enough that it either breaks the glue or gives you a little extra room to get them off by using something like a screw driver to dislodge the glue. It takes a little time but looks to be the easiest way to get them off.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4974611_replacing-motorcycle-hand-grips.html

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
well I wont offer my advice here since when i was taking my bar ends off the first one came off like butter the second one got stripped to hell. So then I tried an easy out and that broke off.... So now I'm screwed.... UGH......

·
Registered
463 Posts
you could always use chain lube...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spray paint works very well for keeping the grips on. I've used it on BMX bikes and dirt bikes for years and never slipped a grip. Just don't go overboard.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Spray paint works very well for keeping the grips on. I've used it on BMX bikes and dirt bikes for years and never slipped a grip. Just don't go overboard.
The thing about hair spray is you can buy those little travel ones at the grocery store for a buck or so. I've heard of people using spray paint as well...that is a rarity to have in my garage though. Haven't rattled cannned anything since I was a teenager...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've heard of people using spray paint as well...that is a rarity to have in my garage though. Haven't rattled cannned anything since I was a teenager...
OH..yer missin' out.... I rattle canned my ninja! now it's a super desert ninja!

·
Registered
128 Posts
To remove the bar end you can use an impact driver. If you don't have one I would use the proper size phillips head in a 1/4 drive socket. That way you can get enough leverage to brake the locktite.

As for the grips, I usually use a long screw drive to separate the bar from the grip. Never used a coat hanger like has been suggested but that would probably work too. Just slide it in and then rotate it around the bar to brake all the glue. If you can squirt some soapy water in there is will help the process go faster. When putting the grip back on you can use hairspray or soapy water. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts